Hey J Lo, Being a Mom Doesn't Make You Better!

One mom was incredibly annoyed by Jennifer Lopez at last night's Golden Globes. Here's why.

Guest blogger Gina: At the Golden Globes last night, over-achieving celebrity mother Jennifer Lopez ruffled some dresses when she hushed the crowd by saying "mama talking, mama talking." Just because she's a mom, respect (and silence) is apparently now mandatory. Get over yourself, J Lo!

Look, I'm a mom. I get it. You have a kid and your life changes. You priorities shift and you willingly sacrifice for another human. It's a wonderful experience that -- for most -- adds a new defining element to your existence. It does not, however, make you better than everyone else. And, FYI, celebrity moms ... real people have babies, too. I know it's hard to believe you aren't the only moms in the world, but we actually think we are worthy of procreating as well.

It is so incredibly annoying that Jennifer Lopez assumed that by pointing out that she's a mother, a crowd of people should stop everything and listen to her as if she's the end-all, be-all of humans. I'm proud to admit that my life actually had meaning before I was a mother. I contributed to society, I had meaningful personal relationships, and I found many things that made me happy.

It seems every day there is another celebrity quoted about how now that they've had a baby, their career means nothing and they now know why they were put on this earth. Well, congrats to them. I'm happy they have enough money so that they don't need to worry about a job. I think it's great their kids are so beyond amazing that God put them on this earth JUST so they could give birth to an over-privileged, over-photographed child.

Don't get me wrong: I think Jennifer Lopez is amazing in what she's accomplished. I thought she was great before she had her twins. And I'm glad she loves being a mother. I love being a mom, too! But just because we've carried kids in our womb doesn't mean the whole world has to stop or shut up just because "mama's talking." (If I got up in a meeting at work and hushed everybody by saying "mama's talking," they'd look at me like I was nuts!)

What do you think? Should J Lo shut up or should those around her?

next: The Travolta Family Gives Thanks
hotsports January 12, 2009, 1:45 PM

you are sooooo right !!!

Bitsy January 12, 2009, 1:46 PM

I just get sick of the celebs using their babies as fashion accessories. J Lo included.

Renee January 12, 2009, 1:49 PM

What I find ironic about her comment is not that she said it, but that she felt that it would carry weight with people. Though we profess to care about mothers, motherhood is actually one of the most disciplined identities that a woman can possess. We don’t take it seriously and we certainly don’t honour it. Appealing to people to be quiet in the name of motherhood is fruitless because socially we don’t respect it.

I think that her call out was a good thing if it made one person think for a moment that we should take motherhood more seriously. As we all know parenting it difficult work on the best of days and therefore pointing out that there should be some social respect for this position in my mind is not a bad thing.

Kathleen January 12, 2009, 1:51 PM

If it were only celebs, it wouldn’t annoy me as much. Let me tell you, the internet is infested with mom this, mom that. And WAHM (work at home mom)? it’s gotten beyond obnoxious. Fact: women have been working from home for millions (yes, at least five million) of years. Get over yourselves. Momming is just another expression of the rampant narcissism characterized by generation y. You are not special. Get over it.

Momma2 January 12, 2009, 1:59 PM

It’s just comedy. I’m sure if it was “ad lib” she didn’t think for a moment about it sounding narcissistic. Coming from a WAHM, unless you have tried to juggle it all, please don’t tell me to get over myself. I am accomplishing things daily, I never thought I could.

Anonymous January 12, 2009, 2:12 PM

I guess I thought she was making a joke, as in she probably does that to get her kids’ attention. She was being cute.

I wish people in general would get over themselves and let others be expressive without taking it personally. Its exhausting to keep track of how many ways what you say can be offensive to someone else. (I’m constantly being surprised by my own ability to offend!)

If she meant it the way you heard it, I still fail to see the offense in someone thinking they are important, or that their job is important, or that their kids are special or that their religion is true…etc… what is the offense? Does it necessarily diminish someone else?
I don’t think so.

Sherry January 12, 2009, 2:21 PM

I really don’t think she was intending any of the things that you wrote. She wasn’t acting like she was better than anyone. The presenters and award winners have a very limited time to speak and throughout the night several people had to hush the crowd. Ricky Gervais did it but no one’s picking him apart - only Jennifer Lopez because she’s a mother. It’s just another example of mothers having to fight each other over every last thing.

I think it was meant as humor, as in that’s how she hushes everyone at home and so she said it tongue in cheek here rather than saying, “hey, the camera guy is giving me signals to shut all of you up so we can stay on time, so please SHUT UP.”

Honestly, can’t we all stop picking at every mother out there, celebrity or not? I’m not even a bug J-Lo fan but this article is a bit ridiculous.

TJ January 12, 2009, 2:24 PM

Wow. Is this an inferiority complex talking? J. Lo was probably just trying to be funny, not flaunt her motherhood. This is much ado about nothing, the whole thing.

Mad mommy January 12, 2009, 2:37 PM

I think your wrong Kathleen! Being a mother is special, everything about it is special. Creating a baby, carrying a baby and delievering a baby in this world. Moms deserve all the credit they get, if not more! Your obviously not a mother and with that attitude your probably not planning on becoming one, so mind your own buisness and find something else to b*tch about. Moms will be around forever! Get used to it! And some will expect lots of praise for what they do, but you’ll never be able to change that, even if you b*tch til you turn blue. And until you actually experience the tiring 9 months, the horrible labor pains or the pushing for hours something out of your most tender area and then holding in your arms something so perfect that you created inside of you, then you have no room to bash us! Now doesnt that just make you bitter?

Ken Hill January 12, 2009, 2:53 PM

Just because Jennifer Lopez didn’t gain 60 pounds and keep 35 of it, don’t be hating on her!! The woman can run a marathon, keep the luscious caboose back there, and be a mom to twins! You go girl!

mooch January 12, 2009, 2:55 PM

get over yourself. she was being cute and needed the audience attention. She was about to present a very important award.

Viral Marketing Mom January 12, 2009, 3:10 PM

I totally disagree. They were rudely gabbing … seems as though she got their attention by pointing this out to them :)

Kathleen January 12, 2009, 3:25 PM

Dear “mad mommy”
I’m a mother but I have more than that upon which to peg my identity to define myself. Moms these days seem to think they invented it, like it never happened before. They don’t appreciate the sacrifices of others who preceded them until they go through it themselves, then the world absolutely revolves around it (look up narcissism). Sure it’s special and unique. Like leaves on a tree or snowflakes are unique. They’re all different and “special” but they’re still snowflakes. Or rather, maybe some are just flakes.

jennifer January 12, 2009, 5:10 PM

wow why are you so angry, she was obviously joking….. you should get over yourself and stop judging, she’s a real person too and prpobably just said the first thing that popped into her head… stop drinking all the hater-aide and chill out!

Karen S January 12, 2009, 5:46 PM

I have to cut J.Lo slack in general, on any of the crazy mom-related things she does, for three reasons: 1) she’s a mom, and I know what that’s like; 2) she’s an older mom who had to have worried about whether she’d even be able to conceive, and I also know what that’s like; and 3) she has twins, and I have no idea what that’s like.

I’m kinda with Kathleen on mommyhood in general, though; that’s not what makes me special. A majority of women, who make up the majority of the human race, will bear children — unique snowflakes piling up into an undifferentiated snowbank. Motherhood is a miracle, but so is breathing. So is peeing. So is healing. My child and my experiences are special and miraculous to me, but we are but a pair of stars in the endless universe.

Morning January 12, 2009, 6:02 PM

Poor Jenny from the block! She was probably so nervous showing up to the awards trying to look her best, with the twins at home, and everyone watching her. It seemed more like a control isssue than narcissistic. As a mom, control is everything, or lack thereof. We never have it, we are always trying to get it, but inside we could care less!

Even Madder Mommy January 12, 2009, 6:14 PM

Dear Kathleen- Your not taking into consideration all the mothers out there that had horrible pregnancies and very hard labors. Don’t they deserve credit? Don’t they deserve to be praised on their accomplishments? How about the mothers who have tried time and time again to get pregnant without any luck and then by some miracle do? They don’t deserve applause? If they want to yell “I am a mother” from the rooftops, let them and don’t scoff behind their backs. To some women, having children IS their greatest accomplishment and who are you to discredit them, to bring them down? To me, your agrument is selfish and is not coming from a woman who truly recognizes the agony that some women go through just to bring life into this world. Yes, I agree that some people consider themselves more important than other after having kids, but why burst their bubble? Thats just inconsiderate of you to do. It’s a pointless agrument that will have no outcome besides crushes other womens spirits. Why would you ever want to do that to another person? Someone who’s celebrating the birth of their child and you come around and say “Oh big deal, your no better than me or anyone else”. If you ask me, thats a little narcissistic of you.

Anonymous January 12, 2009, 7:00 PM

lol, she was joking. Relax. Why get so hung up on something like that?

Lisa January 12, 2009, 7:14 PM

You’re waaaay off base here.

The “mama” comment has nothing to do with her status as a mother. It is actually a sort of slang term, albeit an old one, referring to oneself. When my girlfriends and I were younger (pre-children), we used it all the time, as in, “The drinks are on Mama tonight.”

If you’re going to hate on her, hate on her for using stale adjectives, not for hyping her maternal status. And I’m not even a J.Lo fan!

Kathleen January 12, 2009, 7:32 PM

Dear Even Madder Mommy. You’re funny, lol. Frankly, I’d prefer any tributes made to me after my passing aren’t summarized by the agony I’ve suffered in my life but what I’ve accomplished. By your accounting, we should worship people who have pancreatic cancer because they endure the worst pain known to mankind for MONTHS (rather than hours or maybe weeks if they had a c-sec) and then they die. No baby for their efforts. Call me crazy but I’d rather be known for something other than having been a victim or a martyr.