Hey J Lo, Being a Mom Doesn't Make You Better!

One mom was incredibly annoyed by Jennifer Lopez at last night's Golden Globes. Here's why.

Guest blogger Gina: At the Golden Globes last night, over-achieving celebrity mother Jennifer Lopez ruffled some dresses when she hushed the crowd by saying "mama talking, mama talking." Just because she's a mom, respect (and silence) is apparently now mandatory. Get over yourself, J Lo!

Look, I'm a mom. I get it. You have a kid and your life changes. You priorities shift and you willingly sacrifice for another human. It's a wonderful experience that -- for most -- adds a new defining element to your existence. It does not, however, make you better than everyone else. And, FYI, celebrity moms ... real people have babies, too. I know it's hard to believe you aren't the only moms in the world, but we actually think we are worthy of procreating as well.

It is so incredibly annoying that Jennifer Lopez assumed that by pointing out that she's a mother, a crowd of people should stop everything and listen to her as if she's the end-all, be-all of humans. I'm proud to admit that my life actually had meaning before I was a mother. I contributed to society, I had meaningful personal relationships, and I found many things that made me happy.

It seems every day there is another celebrity quoted about how now that they've had a baby, their career means nothing and they now know why they were put on this earth. Well, congrats to them. I'm happy they have enough money so that they don't need to worry about a job. I think it's great their kids are so beyond amazing that God put them on this earth JUST so they could give birth to an over-privileged, over-photographed child.

Don't get me wrong: I think Jennifer Lopez is amazing in what she's accomplished. I thought she was great before she had her twins. And I'm glad she loves being a mother. I love being a mom, too! But just because we've carried kids in our womb doesn't mean the whole world has to stop or shut up just because "mama's talking." (If I got up in a meeting at work and hushed everybody by saying "mama's talking," they'd look at me like I was nuts!)

What do you think? Should J Lo shut up or should those around her?

next: The Travolta Family Gives Thanks
angrymom January 12, 2009, 7:34 PM

Whoa there, turbo… chip on your shoulder much? It was cute, tongue-in-cheek humor… get over it.

mad mommy January 12, 2009, 10:11 PM

Who says having a baby makes you a victim? And having cancer doesnt make you a victim either, it makes you a fighter and a survivor. Try telling anybody with cancer that theyre a victim and I bet you get a big fat closed fist punch on the mouth. And I’m not trying to spotlight on the agony that you go through with childbirth, I’m merely saying that thats only part of what mothers have to endure while taking up the role of motherhood. And trust me, I know about cancer. My father fought it for years(not months)before it finally took his life and everyday I saw him I’d give him praise, because he deserved it. And if he had been present when I had my daughter, I’m sure he wouldve given me praise for my accomplishment. And believe it or not, when you die your tombstone will read “Beloved MOTHER”. Because it’s supposed to be one of your finest moments and greatest accomplishments.

rose January 12, 2009, 11:54 PM

Get a sense of humor. A shame that something so trivial would get stuck in your craw. Ferget about it

M Haylock January 12, 2009, 11:54 PM

I seriously dont think she meant anything by it. Some people take celebrities a little too seriously.

John January 13, 2009, 12:29 AM

Much ado ‘bout nothin’!

Obviously, “Mama talking” is an expression J Lo uses with her children when they need to be quiet and listen to her, and when the audience rudely ignored her speaking, she used her “mama talking” expression in lieu of perhaps saying, “Hey! Sit down, shut up and pay attention!”

I think the mother who started this thread with her panties-in-a-wad nose-out-of-joint remarks probably has ‘issues’ which need addressing in a professional environment for as much as she ranted on about J Lo’s innocuous comment.

Ryan January 13, 2009, 5:26 AM

I think this article is SO right on. As the writer mentions, it isn’t just about J Lo, it is about the whole celebs-having-babies phenomenon. I don’t think the author is “hung up” on anything, just expressing frustration at a trite and self-centered trend.

Bravo! ryan

Anonymous January 13, 2009, 11:05 AM

Would you preferred it if she told the crowd to shut up?

hadenough January 13, 2009, 7:42 PM

Jho never had class before she became a mom, and she still doesnt. Just typical Jho been around the block tooooo many times.

Gigohead  January 14, 2009, 11:58 AM

Ha! I’m not a fan but I do understand what she did. Seems people at this event drink booze and they get “loud”. You can hear the rumbling on the other side. Annoys me frankly. Seems unfair that these actresses are nervous waiting their names to be announced and folks are being rude yapping like they are at wedding.

s January 16, 2009, 12:14 AM

Your Blog concerning J Lo is MORE idiotic than her comment…by watching the video my first thought is that she looks REALLY GREAT! I suppose “Gina” was more annoyed by her LOOKS than her comment…you made a mountain out of a mohill…more than likely you’re jealous

Traces January 16, 2009, 8:49 PM

Huh I got the impression that J Lo got into the habit of saying that to the nannies everytime her babies were crying while she was on the phone! “Shhh, Mama talkin’ Mama talkin’!” Nobody else?

denise January 16, 2009, 9:39 PM

After just watching a replay of the “Hello, Mamma talkin’ ” moment, I don’t get what the big deal is. From what I saw ,J. Lo was just kidding around and trying to use some humor to get that gabby audience’s attention.

network7 January 17, 2009, 8:08 AM

Hey ladies!!!
This was not a business meeting. Why compare? Women today are such whiners. Aren’t there more important things to be “mad” about? Loss of income in a world dominated by men who pay and women who are overworked. Yea, keep whining about J-LO and her little cutesy comments, just another reason for the guys to say ” this is why we only pay them X much”

AA February 4, 2009, 8:07 PM

Amen. She seems so full of herself. Never been a fan of hers, really don’t care that much for her now.

Article Directory January 3, 2011, 12:24 PM

You completed some fine points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found mainly folks will agree with your blog.