Division of Labor Housework Calculator

The key to marital equality starts at housework.

Momlogic's Momstrosity: I want everything to be even in my marriage. If I had it my way, my husband and I would work the same exact hours, make the same amount of money, get exactly the same amount of sleep, gain the same amount of weight and do exactly the same amount of chores. But alas it is not to be. Especially in the chores department.

While my husband insists he does his share, I beg to differ. Not all chores are equal. Organizing toddler toys is not the same as scrubbing the Diaper Genie.  If you're like me, you've had many screaming matches, er, "spirited discussions" about who's not doing their share around the house.

One way to help with marital discord is to determine what each chore is worth.  Here are some simple chore conversions. These are just my equations -- feel free to come up with your own! (Note: If you consider sex a chore you're going to have to figure out your own calculations.)

chore5.jpg

next: Naomi Watts Dishes Her Weight Loss Secret
Jen January 13, 2009, 10:16 AM

I definitely struggle with this. My husband does not do as much housework as me. I do get frustrated, but I hate the “heated discussions.” Underlying the struggle is the fundamental fact that he doesn’t care about keeping the house in order all that much. I try to keep a list on the kitchen counter of things that need to be done - I actually keep it in a plastic sheet cover so that it can be reused. I circle priorities and he will use the list as a guide so he can contribute. It helps, but our system is far from perfect.

JBL January 13, 2009, 1:29 PM

OMG, where have you been all my life momlogic???????
This is fantastic. And hilarious!

jean January 13, 2009, 1:31 PM

This is HILARIOUS. It is exactly what I think about every time I am emptying the trash…I do the math in my head if his paying the bills and fixing a light measures up to my doing the dirty work!

Jessica January 13, 2009, 11:10 PM

I love it! My husband and I came up with a “chore chart.” We have split up daily chores evenly. It works great for us. We keep it posted on the frig and the best part is that we no longer have “heated debates” about the daily chores. We just look at the chart!

Janet, The Organizing Genie January 15, 2009, 11:07 AM

Very funny! Love the pictures!

As a Professional Organizer, I wrote a book on this very topic, titled Mom, Can I Help Around the House? It is a household chore planning system for the kids and parents.

Check it out! www.TheSimplifiedHome.net or www.KidsandChores.net

Anonymous May 24, 2009, 12:41 PM

Totally forgot baby barfs and wet beds, vacuuming, and running the carpet scrubber, not to mention cleaning those dishes in the sink that have spring civilizations because he said he’d do them… 3 days ago. It’s not hard! There’s a dishwasher right there! Just rinse and put in!

Qkqkhgda June 23, 2009, 1:04 PM