How Did the Obamas Stay Awake?!

The inauguration festivities taught me that I am one lazy-ass parent.

woman watching inauguration

Momlogic's Andrea: President Obama and First Lady Michelle had a grueling 20-hour day yesterday. Yet they remained poised and alert the entire historic event, flawlessly going from speeches to parade routes to all-night galas.

Meanwhile, that day, I could barely get it together to pack my daughter's lunch and take a shower before dragging my sorry sleep-deprived ass into work. (OK, to be honest, I ended up not showering.) How do these power couples do it? Those two couldn't have gotten their eight hours the night before. Do they even sleep?

I'm not the only one in awe of the Obama's stamina. "They've got nine other parties to go to," comic Ray Romano noted on the ABC inaugural special. "I'm a little concerned. I don't want him to party too much. He's got to go to work tomorrow."

Uh, yeah. I thought the same thing. In fact, I didn't even attend an inauguration house-party last night -- my toddler and husband went on in my stead -- because I was too beat from work and wanted to rest up for the next day. And my "gala event" would hardly have been taxing. It would've involved sitting on the couch watching the parties on TV, but I couldn't even muster the energy for that. I was in bed by nine.

OK, so what's the secret? How did those two manage not to keel over on the parade route? According to reports, Obama doesn't drink coffee ... but does Michelle? Or did they both down a six-pack of Red Bull before hitting the inaugural platform?

If there's anything I plan to learn from the Obama administration, it's this: If these two can manage to run the country and raise two young children, I can manage to make time for going to the gym now and then.

Or am I just dreaming?

next: 'Love Guru' Earns Seven Nominations at Razzies
Anonymous January 21, 2009, 3:39 PM

but they raise 2 young kids, run the country and already do the gym thing, so we may have to add something else to our list!

Wendi January 21, 2009, 5:40 PM

Well they also have the live in nanny that most of us do not have. Plus people to do the housework and make food. So if you really think about it, you could do all they do if you had all the extras too.

bob January 21, 2009, 8:38 PM

i thought this video was very disturbing and the child is going to be mislead her whole life and should be taken away from these ignorant and irresponsible parents.

unknown January 21, 2009, 9:07 PM

by by bush sould be by by parent
how can a parent sleep with their self knowing they subjected their child to such publisity. as mentioned on tv this child was used to get a message across to the public. hope you use the payment you received toward her education an not a big screan tv

Sherry January 21, 2009, 11:28 PM

I think that what got them through that day and night was adrenaline. If they were doing it night after night they would crash, but for a special occasion they probably ended up coasting on the excitement.

Sandra January 22, 2009, 12:37 AM

You certainly could stay awake if you were at your own inauguration for president. That’s hardly the same as fixing you daughter’s lunch. That’s enough to energize somebody.

Seemlingly unimportant tasks are the hardest to perform. However, if you remember how sad and hungry your daughter would be after she found her lunch bag empty one day, you will see how much your little deeds matter to a very special person.

Katy McCarthy January 22, 2009, 1:31 AM

How does ‘chelle do WHAT? Have all that money and resources for fashion advice, and still manage to look horrid? Take the yellow brocade or shiny looking dress with a faux jewel encrusted neckline. No one wears encrusted anything before 6 P.M. in Washington. And those bilious green gloves? Aaaaaagh! The feathery white ball gown. No comment. And (I’m afraid not) the last outfit today - what was THAT? I mean besides dowdy, matronly, and just plain ugly.

sarah January 22, 2009, 10:11 AM

how does michelle do what? i think most women would agree dont seem she has it that hard
everyone is doing it all for her all is required of her is to look and act classy ( which isnot doing a good job at)
how i would love to have someone make my dinner , take the kids to school be at my beck and call
god she dont even have to string a sentance togther ……. thank god for teleprompters !