How Much Are Octuplets Worth?

How much is having a litter of children worth these days? Or, in other words, how much free sh** are the California octuplets going to get over the next three years? What do you think?

Eight babies

Radical Mommy: According to the USDA , in 2007 the average cost of raising child through the age of 17 was $204,060. Using that math, it that means that it will cost a minimum of $1,632,480 to raise the octuplets born Monday in California.

If other multiple births are anything to go by, the parents (I'm just assuming there are two) will be besieged by gifts, donations and offers to make their lives easier and take some of the financial burden off them. How nice.

So exactly how much is having a litter of children worth these days -- or, in other words, how much free sh** are they going to get over the next three years?

It's safe to say that some do-gooders will decide that the tiny apartment or house the family will return to when they leave the hospital is too small (based on past multiple births the parents normally live in places too small for their brood) so they will build, donate or whatever it is they do a gigantic brand-new home to them.

Since there are at least eight children in the family now (there could be other siblings, who knows), then they'll need a BIG house, with lots of room, and a yard for the kids to play. Let's be conservative and say the house is only 3,500 ft -- in California that will cost A MINIMUM of $1,000,000. Ka-ching!
Total = $1,000,000

Since they have a big new house, they are going to need furniture as well as the electronics, appliances, bedding etc ... Of course, all of that will also be donated to the tune of (I'm guessing) about $50,000. Ka-ching! Ka-ching! Ka-ching!
Total = $1,050,000

This family will also need LOTS and LOTS of diapers and, if my experience with my son serves as an example, they'll probably use a minimum of seven diapers a day per child. Multiply that by eight poopy bottoms and this brood will be using at least 56 diapers a day. In case you're wondering, that's about $20 a day in diapers and $3 per day in wipes -- for a whopping, total cost of $8372 per year and about $26,000 for the three-year period they will most likely be wearing some sort of diapers. Now I'm sure that some generous diaper company will come along and "sponsor" the family. Ka-ching!
Total = $1,076,000

In 2007, according to the USDA, clothing cost for children 0-3 (with parents whose income is less than $48,500 a year) ran about $340 per year. Do the math, and over three years the eight niblets will need approximately $8160 (let's round it up to $10,000) worth of duds. No doubt a clothing company will come along and donate clothing to the kids. Ka-ching!
Total = $1,086,000

Food (nearly $10,000 over three years for eight kids), volunteer labor to help look after the kiddies ($12/hour if you were paying a nanny -- but who would watch eight kids for that?), and most likely health care (as it's possible that some of these children might have medical problems that require assistance or some sort of therapy) will ALL be donated from a variety of different companies and individuals. Potential cost approximately $100,000. Ka-ching!
Total = $1,186,000

Let's not forget the brand-new, 12-passenger van that some generous car company will donate. After all, you have to have something to haul those little ones about in. Cost $35,000. Ka-ching!
Total = $1,221,000

Lest we forget, I'm sure some publicity-seeking college is going to come forward and offer all eight of the little rugrats scholarships to their higher learning institute. Let's calculate that donation as about $20,000 per child, per year -- that totals an astronomical $640,000. Ka-chingyding!
Total = $1,861,000

And last, but nowhere near least, is the money this family could potentially make from book deals, movie deals, magazine and TV interviews, speaking engagements, endorsements etc... This is VERY hard to calculate but I'm going to guess that they could probably make about $2,000,000 (yup, two million dollars) over the next few years. Ka,Ka,Ka-ching!
Total - $3,861,000

By no means is this all the possible LOOT this family could take in over the course of the kids' lifetime, but it's a start. And all I know is that when I had my son, all I got was a lousy blanket from the hospital. Maybe if I had known that I could possibly rake in a whopping $4,000,000, I would have tried to have seven more, all at once.

next: Cops: Dad Kills Wife, Five Kids in Murder-Suicide
Anonymous January 27, 2009, 4:08 PM

But it’s God’s will. (Oops, the infertility or the octuplets, hmmm.)

They are socially irresponsible and don’t deserve a dime.

Unreal Expectations January 27, 2009, 6:36 PM

I think some of the numbers are over inflated, and others are under. Houses in California are in foreclosure now, so they can find a 3500 s.f. house for about $600,000, depending on where in California they live. Also, the going rate for nannys in the L.A. area start at about $60,000 a year, you’d need at least 4 for that brood!

Ted January 28, 2009, 6:27 AM

I’d have been happy to get on the donation bandwagon and offered a cardboard box and a warm place under the stairs for her to give birth.

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 8:56 PM

WOW - What a bunch of cynical, angry, awful people that comment on this story. It breaks my heart. For those of you who don’t have any feelings and don’t know what it’s like to want a family so bad you’ll go through anything to have it, I pity you. I have so mucb to say, but it’s not worth my time to even try to get through to you losers. Get a life! Congrats to the family of 8 new little ones. They’ve got a long road ahead, good luck to them.

Proud single mom to 4-year old twin girls

Jezebel Lilly January 30, 2009, 8:51 AM

Comment for Anonymous,
This irresponsible woman already had 6 children.She wasn’t infertile.Her doctors commited a crime in my opinion.I is at least negligent to implant emrbyos into a woman who can conceive naturally.Limited information also suggests that she is quite young and still lives with her parents.The taxpayers will be raising these babies and their siblings as well.I’m personally outraged that medical personel allowed this to occur.

MommaLucy January 30, 2009, 9:19 AM

Thank you Jezebel Lilly for your comments- I agree 100%!!
All the other articles I’ve seen on this just make me sick… FINALLY this one is HONEST! This “mother” is already living with her parents, with 6 (yeah, SIX!!) children already, and a husband who is away. This mother is the epitome of irresposible.
…I just want to know what kind of job she thinks she’s going to get to be able to afford all of her 14 children! And when will she find the time to work this job!! Oh wait, no, that’s right, she’ll just “graciously” accept donations from all of those people out there who think they’re doing something good by donating her $ and enabling (and encouraging) her irresponsible behavior!
…That being said, I feel awful for those children. I just hope they’ll get the love and attention they deserve.

SunnyLuv January 30, 2009, 2:53 PM

I cannot agree enough with these and other posts and comments highlighting how completely irresponsible and mental all the people involved in this truly are. What is she a desperate mom or a Rottweiler? Maybe both. No husband, no father for these kids, her parents giving up their home to help take care of her and her litter. I can respect the fact that doctors gave her a choice to abort some of the fetuses, and she chose not to… but to even choose to put yourself in that position is beyond me. She will have to explain to each one of her 14 kids, “Well mommy wanted a big family, so she bought one!” Sperm donors and IVF for a young woman is selfish and greedy and irresponsible. I’m praying for these kids, and their well-being.

Come On January 30, 2009, 10:05 PM

I hope and pray no one offers her a cent, at least in a way. I don’t want children to suffer. However, how are any of these 14 kids NOT going to suffer? I would wager that her infertility treatments were either not done in the US or were not on the up and up.

anonymous January 31, 2009, 4:08 AM

she is already a mother of six so dont pitty her because of infertility problems there are people out there that cant afford to go through this procces and they dont have any kids at all, and come on she is still living with her parents

Anonymous January 31, 2009, 11:13 AM

With the way the economy is this woman is very irresponsible because if God forbid some of those children have health problems in the future what will she do? oh wait, Our taxes will cover all that.

annoyed January 31, 2009, 11:23 AM

The only thing I’ll ever offer her are my prayers. I don’t even have enough money for myself and my 2 boys and I do not depend on govermnet help (I take care of myself) and here she is living with her parents, will not be working, no husband and living off my hard working taxes. Everyone in California should sue those doctors.

Anonymous January 31, 2009, 9:23 PM

Speaking of the doctors, maybe they should be paying to raise these children, since it was obviously their decision to let the mother have them!

Anonymous January 31, 2009, 10:39 PM

Regulations governing infertility treatments are long overdue. It can be inferred from an interview this week with this woman’s mother that her daughter is mentally ill. Regulators need to shine a bright light on the fertility clinic that allowed eight embryos to be implanted.

Oprah and Diane Sawyer are already pursuing interviews and I’m sure that big money is part of the discussion to get her on t.v.

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 9:27 AM

Here you have a professional student whose parents has already lost their home supporting her. I’m sure she is getting state aid also and that was when she only had 6 kids now she has 14 and you think your not going to pay. I’m sorry but I don’t want to pay for her hobby. Its one thing that a mother of 1 or 2 children for whatever reason needs help, like husband runs out or whatever, that I can understand helping but only if she is trying to help themself but someone who just likes having kids (14) and not worry about paying and expect everybody else to pick up the tab that person need to be in a mental hospital or jail. Anonymous

Outraged in Iowa February 1, 2009, 9:57 AM

I agree with all the people who have posted comments!! Finally people are waking up that we have far to many irresponsible people in our country, who feel it is there God given right to do whatever they want regardless of the cost to the taxpayers. That doesn’t even begin to cover the injustice being done to those kids!! I say GROW UP AND TO the parents how you could you condone such irresponsible behavior. If IRAQ cna pay you so much better take your whole family there and let your country pay for your STUPIDITY!!

Amazed in Atlanta February 1, 2009, 10:47 AM

I think all she wanted is to be famous for something that has never been done before and try to make money off of having that amount of children. Like movies throughout the children growing up. What a pity with so many people who really want a child and cannot afford it but she goes finds somebody who helps her do this wrong thing just to be famouse and write about it. What doctor whould have done such a terrible
thing. I just hope there is enough love to go around to each child at all times as they grow up.

Camillarose February 1, 2009, 11:45 AM

One more very costly expense is left out. Being a single mother, the state will have to fund her children’s health care including dental; pay for child care later on IF she returns to work (about $7,000 a year per child over 3 yrs. Infant care can be double that!), food stamps, assistance for utilities and lastly monthly financial assistance.

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 12:22 PM

I hope the children all stay healthy and happy. It would be unfortunate if their mother did all of this for the attention. As far as the physicians go; what were they thinking of? Six children even to a married couple is a lot and adding 8 more, so to a single parent living at home with her mother is a burden to her family, friends, and tax payers.

Margaret S. Austin February 1, 2009, 12:31 PM

How this woman will be able to raise 14 kids I do not know! Since there are so many childless couples in this country, has she ever thought of allowing some of her children to be adopted? Even if she had an “open adoption” for most of them, she could then be assured that her children would benifit from having loving parents who could provide for them physically, mentally, emotionally and financially. of course, she might have to give up the “free sponsorships” from so many potential companies. Even so, I think that in the long run, she and the children would be happier.

basketbabe February 1, 2009, 12:43 PM

I am appalled as well over the poor decisions made by this woman, her doctors and her family. It would be unkind to punish her children for their shortsightedness, but such self-cnetered behavior should not be rewarded. I hope that corporate donors’ names will be published, so I can vote with my money and not support them in the future.