No Lice Shampoo for MY Daughter

Here's why.
girl

Momlogic's Julie: When my daughter got lice, I freaked. In fact, I freaked so much, I even wrote a "lice diary" for this website. After that initial round, the lice were kept at bay for a while. But then we found another one on my daughter's head.

God, no.

We repeated the same process again ... non-toxic lice shampoo, cleaning everything in sight. When she got it for the SECOND time, we repeated the process ... but were beginning to lose faith in the system.

I had resisted prescription lice shampoo because it was so toxic. I had read the story of Jesse, a boy who got leukemia after using lice shampoo. His mom is convinced his illness is related.

Lindane (the key ingredient in lice shampoo) has been banned by the EPA. All uses of this compound have already been banned in at least 52 countries, and its use is restricted or banned in most of Europe.

But I have been told by many people that prescription lice shampoo is the only thing that will kill the lice. The problem is: I'm scared this might kill my child. Am I over-reacting, or should I continue to go the non-toxic route if it comes back a third time?

next: A Mom's Journey to the Inauguration
k :-) February 20, 2009, 12:20 AM

I used mayonnaise and a lice comb worked great soaked their heads in it for couple hours with a shower cap on.

mom2girls February 20, 2009, 6:59 PM

We have inherited lice many times from the schools here in Crossville, TN. We have spent hundreds of dollars on treatments and we have found the only thing that works for us is to apply about half a bottle of cheap conditioner and let it sit with a shower cap on for 2 hours every other night for about a week. It has worked twice for us. Thankfully it has been about a year since the last time!

jessica February 24, 2009, 3:46 AM

I have just been through this. A friend of mine is from England where lice is a huge problem. My daughter had it for 2 months until my friend gave me this info: use the otc lice shampoo, don’t wash hair for two days. Then, every other night, wash hair and use a really thick conditioner (like suave) and while it’s in the hair, comb the hair out with a lice comb (get the licemeister comb - it works!) and after every comb-through wipe it on a paper towel and look to see what you get until nothing is left. Do this every other day for two weeks. It works!!

mom & 8 year old girl February 26, 2009, 4:38 PM

found out my daughter had lice 2/20/09. She probably had them for a while as her head was covered with them. If it was not from the effort of my mother, I would have freaked out! I have tried OTC conditioners since I found out. they didn’t seem to work. We kept finding small ALIVE lice. We got alot of advice from people who had been thru this. I covered her hair with mayo for 1 hour. I combed & combed…My mother & I even seperated her hair and started pulling out the nits.. which we were told it would eliminate the lice.. sure, no nits no lice… I finally went to a vitamin store and bought Tea Tree Oil & Tea Tree shampoo.. it seems to have worked and leaves the hair feeling great. Most of these comments I have heard of.. so which ever you chose… may work for you.. this has been an ordeal I do not want to go thru again..

gina March 5, 2009, 1:27 PM

I’m sure you have found a cure ny now but for any others who run into this problem my step daughter ten years ago came from texas to live with us and brought lice with her. I was pregnant at the time and I had a 2yr old along with 3 other preteen children I was told by the doctor that neither me or my 2yr old could use store bought or perscription shampoo. she also told me that the shampoos weren’t working any more to use vaseline or dep gel because it smothers the live ones and as the eggs hatched the would also smother. It was kind of a long process because you have to keep the gel in until the eggs have hatched. So I used the otc shampoo on all the older kids and gel foe myself and my lil one I just kept putting the gel in our hair after each shower and it worked. I guess my child and my pregnancy were more important than a quick fix. But its your prefence some people don’t have the time I did not to mention wearing a slicked back look for awhile.

Erika March 11, 2009, 7:52 AM

My daughter, now 3yrs old and baby brother 10 months, both caught the bug at school. With my daughter is was a recurring infestation, that you just can’t get rid off, or so I thought! I shaved my babies head, which didn’t realy help, he had lice again after three weeks when the hair has barely grown out. I found a product, the Robi Comb, made by Liceguard, which is an electronic comb that ‘zapps’ the live lice, which you then remove form the comb. You comb your childs hair for at least 7 days in a row for about 5 min. this will kill the newly hatched lice, preventing them from laying new eggs. The cycle is broken and your child will be lice free in a matter of days. Liceguard also makes a pesticide free shampoo that will soften the ‘glue’ with which the nits are stuck to the hair, which is then easily combed out with the lice & nit comb. I feel you can never be to careful when it comes to your kids. Why take a chance on Lice shampoos that can harm your child in whatever way, if there is a saver and easier way to get rid of lice? Dont take chances, you might not be able to fix the damage afterwards!

Sharon van Rensburg March 12, 2009, 8:10 PM

Do not do it! My son has just spent 6 months in hospital following use of Lindane head lice shampoo with complete bone marrow failure requiring chemotherapy, bone marrow transplant, and ongoing medical care from aplastic anaemia - caused by the shampoo. His life has been changed forever.

The lice will go away if you use a white conditioner which leaves the live lice groggy and slow moving, and sit the child in front of the TV and with your fingers pick out every single egg and lice. You will need to do this a few times a week for about 2 weeks.

jojo June 8, 2009, 4:23 PM

my child has headlice but i am not using OTC shampoo does vinegar work can it solve my problem help me please

Mnluibvf June 25, 2009, 1:21 PM

weIuVf comment3 ,

Barrett September 5, 2009, 2:59 AM

Good evening. Reveal not every secret you have to a friend, for how can you tell but that friend may hereafter become an enemy. And bring not all mischief you are able to upon an enemy, for he may one day become your friend.
I am from Scotland and now teach English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “A early marketing spotted that the account was other and coming 24 endpoints a day, a online minimum followed that it was high evenly during the merchant, while a several spot did that it was an score around.”

Thank you so much for your future answers :D. Barrett.

sheila October 8, 2009, 8:33 AM

Yup, we went through the same thing a while ago, and I tell you NOTHING over the counter that we tried would work to kill the little buggers. They were like un-killable… it was crazy. Sorry you went through the same thing, and yes, we too were afraid of all the poisons in the shampoos. And it’s true a lot of kids were getting diseases like cancer, and the only constant was that they used that lice killing shampoos.

I’m glad you are trying to use more healthy and natural solutions. So good for you!

Concerned Mom…yes, lindane is becoming very well known to be the leading bad guy here, and is actually banned in a few countries…

Sheila

Pharma787 June 3, 2010, 12:22 PM

Hello! bcbkbbg interesting bcbkbbg site!

Pharme387 June 18, 2010, 8:40 AM

Hello! ecaebdk interesting ecaebdk site!

Pharmg350 July 1, 2010, 2:43 AM

Hello! ekgdcbb interesting ekgdcbb site!

Pharme959 August 16, 2010, 1:59 AM

Hello! afdbkkf interesting afdbkkf site!

Pharme397 August 26, 2010, 5:32 PM

Hello! abcddae interesting abcddae site!

Leeann September 15, 2010, 1:58 PM

I used flee shampoo…. i washed my hair in it and then my kids….it worked… i use a comb and combed out our hair and then i used vinager because the lice finds it hard to have eggs becuase its hard for them to stick on the hair. then i combed it out again and then used the flee shampoo again~~

Helen September 18, 2010, 10:48 AM

Put all the pillows in the house in the dryer on high for 20 minutes everyday — heat kills them.

Buy the spray for things you can’t put in the dryer — the car seat and furniture.

Put every brush and comb in the sink with a bleach solution for about 10 minutes with hot water.

Buy a metal lice comb and manually comb out your kid every day for two weeks. It will get rid of the lice right away, and keep them from coming back from an egg you might have missed. Yes, it takes along time. In some areas, there are people you can hire to comb out the hair….

Everything else is just a product for desperate parents. The folk remedies, the shampoo’s none of those work, just the manual removal

Don’t forget to tell your school you had an outbreak, then they will check everyone in your kids class, and find out who else has them, if you don’t your kid will just get them again, their is nothing to be embarrassed about, this happens.

Pharma876 September 27, 2010, 2:13 PM

Hello! dgkagge interesting dgkagge site!

Sam November 9, 2010, 10:08 AM

I just wanted to say, I have tried everything and the only thing that worked for my child was the RID over the counter shampoo. we had tried the “Lice B Gone” pesticide free sprays and that did not kill any of the lice. I had called the doctor to get something else and she gave us “Ovide”….. DO NOT USE IT if you have asthma or any type of breathing prob. It is 78% alcohol and the fumes are too harsh. If the child has sores on the head its like fire. I felt so bad I put it only on a 1inch part and she cried for hours, it had burned sooo bad….. do not put your child thru that!! hope my info helps other. Good Luck.