Jett Travolta Secretly Cremated

Here's the latest.

jett travolta cremated

John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston arrived home in Florida with their son Jett's ashes today following an extraordinary cloak-and-dagger operation involving a decoy hearse and an empty coffin.

A black hearse carrying a simple wooden casket was dispatched from the Restview Funeral Home on Grand Bahama island to the local airport last night in what undertakers later claimed had been a ruse, possibly to divert waiting media.

Meanwhile the celebrity couple and their eight-year-old daughter Ella Bleu slipped away unseen for a flight home to Ocala, Florida, with an urn containing 16-year-old Jett's ashes. It was unclear whether Travolta -- an accomplished pilot whose home in Ocala, Florida, has its own runway and parking spots for aircraft including his own jumbo jet -- had flown his family himself.

"Everything was in place, the cremation was completed and they decided to leave," said Obie Wilchcombe, a member of the Bahamas Parliament and friend of the Travolta family.

It was announced that Jett died as the result of a seizure at the family's vacation home last Friday. The autopsy results may never be released to the public.

Travolta, 54 and Preston, 46, both devout followers of the Church of Scientology, are planning to hold a memorial service later this week, believing that he has not died but simply moved on to a new life.

Scientologists do not conduct funerals. They hold memorial services to celebrate the departed, acknowledge their accomplishments, and wish them well in their future existence.

"Simply put, you have lived before and will live again, lifetime after lifetime," Tommy Davis, head of the Church of Scientology's Celebrity Centre International in Los Angeles, told MSNBC.

John Travolta's lawyers, Michael Ossi and Michael McDermott, said Jett was on an anti-seizure medication called Depakote for several years, but the drug was suspended after it lost its effectiveness amid concern about side effects.

As critics of Scientology questioned Travolta's handling of his son's medical condition, Mr. Davis stressed that while the Church does not believe in drug treatments for psychological diagnoses, it does not oppose the use of drugs for medical conditions.

Jett was diagnosed at the age of two with Kawasaki Syndrome, a rare disease that inflames the blood vessels and can affect organs including the heart, causing him to have regular seizures. With adequate treatment, the mortality rate is less than 0.01 per cent.

Friends of John Travolta and Kelly Preston offered condolences after the death of son Jett and said the couple will find strength in caring for 8-year-old daughter Ella.

"There's probably nothing in the world that is harder for a parent than losing a child, so for both of them, I just ... I just can't imagine anything more difficult," family friend Anne Archer told People. "I think what's most important is that friends and family and the community collectively put their arms around them and hold their thoughts for them and help support them through this time."

next: Help Him Last Longer
Anonymous January 6, 2009, 2:19 PM

I hope that they can have some privacy at this time to grieve. And I hope they never release the autopsy report. It is no one’s business but the family.

KeCo January 6, 2009, 2:33 PM

He was cremated secretly to prevent the “so-called” autism rumors from spreading. Both of Jett’s parents were in serious denial about his health and while I do feel sorry for them losing a child, I believe they could have improved his life by getting him the actual care he needed instead of “curing” him with Scientology “hocus-pocus”…

ron January 6, 2009, 2:55 PM

From what I hear,Autism can not be detected from an autopsy anyway.So your theory is blown out of the water. Jett was on meication for his seizures but it lost it’s affectiveness. Stop trying to stir a controversy were there is none.

Kitty January 6, 2009, 3:27 PM

Jett was not “SECRETLY CREMATED.” Haven’t you been following the news? As far as I’m concerned, this site has no credibility—putting out sensational headlines to get hits on the site. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Leave them alone and let them bury their son!

Anonymous January 6, 2009, 3:34 PM

KeCo who are you to say what quality of life Jett had? Also are you a licensed psychologist or a medical doctor that personally evaluated Jett? If not you have no credentials to diagnose him with autism. You have no insight into the Travolta household to know what was being done for Jett or to know his quality of life. I do not believe scientology is right, but I will not comment on things I do not know. BTW they cremated the body AFTER the autopsy was conducted so they didn’t do it to cover anything up!

Horse Hockey January 6, 2009, 4:08 PM

RIP Jumbo Jett

David Hunt January 6, 2009, 4:42 PM

It’s a sad story anyhow you look at it. I feel sorry for the Travolta’s

Anonymous January 7, 2009, 1:27 AM

IMO Scientology sounds more like a cult instead of a religion.

R January 7, 2009, 9:29 AM

KeCo, your argument has no point. Autism cannot be diagnosed with a physical test, only with a set of characteristics displayed by an individual. A deceased person could never be diagnosed with autism.

Amber January 17, 2009, 4:34 AM

I feel so sad for this kid Jett!! OMG!!
I think he should have stayed on the proper medication for Kawsaki Syndrome, seazures, and autism. Especially since they can be fatal and deadly. It only makes sense to me. But I’m realistic in my parenting skills, and about health. And I’m not a Scientologist. Seems like that may have had something to so with the occurance. Since they don’t medicate people. So it also disgusts me. I don’t know about the mortality rate of Kawsaki syndrome.. But there may be a cover-up. That poor child, maybe could have lived.. Now he is just a memory. It’s not right!!

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 9:36 PM

Great information. Good to read. I’ve just got one thing to offer about tee shirts.