John Travolta and Kelly Preston's Son Dies

Jett Travolta, the 16-year-old son of actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston, has died.

john_travolta_son_dies_pm.jpg

The family was vacationing in the Bahamas when Jett passed away. Jett had a history of seizures and reportedly was autistic, but this has never been confirmed by the Travolta family. In a statement issued Friday afternoon, family attorney Michael Ossi says the teenager suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island Friday morning. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. A local police spokeswoman said Jett fell in the bathtub and hit his head.

In an interview several years ago, Kelly Preston said that when Jett was three years old he suddenly became gravely ill and was rushed to the ER. "He was really lethargic," Preston said then. "He had a high fever and swollen lymph glands. It seemed like he had a serious flu. He had a rash all over his body. They didn't know what it was." She says she was shocked to learn her son did not have the flu, but had contracted a form of Kawasaki Syndrome, a rare vascular disease that can cause serious damage to the heart. Preston believes exposure to carpet-cleaning chemicals was responsible for his near-fatal illness. After this incident, Preston became a crusader for the development and use of safe household chemicals.

Our thoughts are with John and Kelly during this awful time.

next: What You Need to Know About the HPV Vaccine
Christi January 2, 2009, 3:55 PM

How incredibly sad! I’m praying for their family!

Eli January 2, 2009, 3:55 PM

Awwww! So sad! That is terrible news.

Jodel January 2, 2009, 4:00 PM

My heart and prayers go out to this Family

lily January 2, 2009, 4:01 PM

oh wow. so very sorry

nipsy January 2, 2009, 4:01 PM

A shame for any child so young to pass away.

lor January 2, 2009, 4:28 PM

Very sorry for this family. my prayers are definitely with them.

cm January 2, 2009, 4:29 PM

He had 16 years on this planet I hope he had a nice time I hope his time here was filled with as much happiness as it could be.

Timothy Nutmeg January 2, 2009, 4:35 PM

Dear John and Kelly,
Your son might be alive today if not for David Miscavage. He is your PTS/SP, and your contact with him is responsible for Jett’s death. I cannot recommend strongly enough that you disconnect from DM.
Love,
Anonymous

Anonymous January 2, 2009, 4:51 PM

We are all targets of our own chemicals. Let’s pray for the young boy and then for all of us.

xcana chen January 2, 2009, 4:57 PM

Very unfortunate event. The gates of other worlds may be open to this young man. A sincere prayer for this young man. We are all victims of our own chemicals.When we cut the trees, the world falls down. While we are at it, pray for all of us.

XC

Christina January 2, 2009, 5:00 PM

I have two sons with autism and always am in deep fear that something similar might happen to them……God, how my heart goes out to you guys. May you find peace—-damn, it is just so hard now, but I know someday, you will…
Love,
Christina from Arizona

e January 2, 2009, 5:35 PM

My heart goes out to the family, my prayers are with the family. so sad :(

me January 2, 2009, 6:00 PM

May Jet see the face of God! Blessings to the Travolta family. Everything that happens will work, in the long run, for the better. Our minds cannot comprehend the full picture that the Lord already has seen. This is a cross to bear. Be strong and faithful.

lb January 2, 2009, 6:20 PM

John Travolta has been in denial since Jett’s diagnosis of Autism at around 2 yrs. He has kept him hidden away from the world, you won’t find many pictures and usually only talks about his daughter. He even recently said that he wants a son, he has a son, or had a son! Because of his beliefs in Scientology, he never did any early intervention, Scientologists do not believe in therapy! If he would have believed in his son, and given him a chance, things would have been different. I wonder if John was in the house, I wonder if it was really an accident, I hope the truth comes out…RIP Jett!

reese January 2, 2009, 6:59 PM

Well, Travolta is probably relieved that Jett has passed. No question, he was autistic. No question that that kooky scientology cult is responsible for Jett’s deteriorating physical condition.

Marie January 2, 2009, 7:23 PM

Some of you people are complete idiots. How dare any of you say that John Travolta didn’t do right by his son? I’m sure he loved his son very much and did what he thought was right for Jett. No one should be saying such horrible things - when this is Travolta worse time of his life.

Lorena January 2, 2009, 7:40 PM

aww i am so sory with the bad news .My condolences to the Travolta family.

DOMINIC BRACCO January 2, 2009, 8:01 PM

HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE BE SO HEARTLESS. THE FAMILY HAS JUST LOST A SON. NO MATTER WHAT IT WAS THEIR SON. I’M SURE THEY DID WHAT THEY THOUGHT WAS RIGHT. YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK!!!!

Beth January 2, 2009, 8:18 PM

Losing a child is so incrediably sad…my heart aches for the Travolta family.

KJC January 2, 2009, 8:54 PM