The family was vacationing in the Bahamas when Jett passed away. Jett had a history of seizures and reportedly was autistic, but this has never been confirmed by the Travolta family. In a statement issued Friday afternoon, family attorney Michael Ossi says the teenager suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island Friday morning. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. A local police spokeswoman said Jett fell in the bathtub and hit his head.
In an interview several years ago, Kelly Preston said that when Jett was three years old he suddenly became gravely ill and was rushed to the ER. "He was really lethargic," Preston said then. "He had a high fever and swollen lymph glands. It seemed like he had a serious flu. He had a rash all over his body. They didn't know what it was." She says she was shocked to learn her son did not have the flu, but had contracted a form of Kawasaki Syndrome, a rare vascular disease that can cause serious damage to the heart. Preston believes exposure to carpet-cleaning chemicals was responsible for his near-fatal illness. After this incident, Preston became a crusader for the development and use of safe household chemicals.
Our thoughts are with John and Kelly during this awful time.