John Travolta and Kelly Preston's Son Dies

Jett Travolta, the 16-year-old son of actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston, has died.

john_travolta_son_dies_pm.jpg

The family was vacationing in the Bahamas when Jett passed away. Jett had a history of seizures and reportedly was autistic, but this has never been confirmed by the Travolta family. In a statement issued Friday afternoon, family attorney Michael Ossi says the teenager suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island Friday morning. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. A local police spokeswoman said Jett fell in the bathtub and hit his head.

In an interview several years ago, Kelly Preston said that when Jett was three years old he suddenly became gravely ill and was rushed to the ER. "He was really lethargic," Preston said then. "He had a high fever and swollen lymph glands. It seemed like he had a serious flu. He had a rash all over his body. They didn't know what it was." She says she was shocked to learn her son did not have the flu, but had contracted a form of Kawasaki Syndrome, a rare vascular disease that can cause serious damage to the heart. Preston believes exposure to carpet-cleaning chemicals was responsible for his near-fatal illness. After this incident, Preston became a crusader for the development and use of safe household chemicals.

Our thoughts are with John and Kelly during this awful time.

next: What You Need to Know About the HPV Vaccine
susan January 2, 2009, 9:35 PM

Condolences, but I wish The Travolta family shared their experiences with the public about having a special needs child. Being celebrity, they could have helped so many people sharing their pain and hope. Having a special child is not a curse, but an acceptance of how special we can be. I can relate to their pain.

JB January 2, 2009, 9:38 PM

Dear John and Kelly,
I was very sorry to hear about your son Jett. He was very young to leave this life. My father lost his oldest son (my oldest brother) and I tell you he suffered this loss. It has been 2 years since his passing, but not a day goes by we don’t think about him. Just keep your faith and remember all the good times you have shared with him.

Diann & Patrick January 2, 2009, 10:11 PM

Our prayers are with you all at this time. We cannot relate but we do empathize and we will continue to pray for your comfort and peace.
We admire, so much, the lives you have both created and your relatability to us all!
May God bless you and keep you in this difficult time.

Lisa January 2, 2009, 11:10 PM

It’s so heartbreaking when a young life is lost to illness. My thoughts and prayers are with John and Kelly!

mary January 2, 2009, 11:11 PM

What a terrible tragedy for this lovely family. My heart aches for them in their time of grief. It is so good that they have each other and Ella to comfort one another in this difficult time. My sincere condolences to John, Kelly and Ella. My warmest thoughts to Jett on his new journey.

luc January 2, 2009, 11:11 PM

what sad news sorry for your lose

from-luc

Anonymous January 2, 2009, 11:12 PM

s\

vicky January 2, 2009, 11:17 PM

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of Jett Travolta, seeing the pictures you see his dad’s smile.

Anonymous January 2, 2009, 11:20 PM

I’m so sorry for the lose of this lovely child. My love and sadness for the family. May he sleep amongst the angels

love luc & lori

Dorothy Davis January 2, 2009, 11:52 PM

I have THE UTMOST SYPOTHY FOR YOUR FAMILY!! I lost a child, I can only pray your’s bears this better than I did! I have 4 other children but I know no matter the reason GOD chose Jett the pain is going to change u! Just please remember every special smile, remark, moment with him! Also ALWAYS keep him alive in his sisters eye’s & HEART! My mom was shot when I was 8 in Nassua, Bahamas. I am 35 years old & still have difficutys dealing with my lose cause noone wanted to hear about it or her! As a result me & my father haven’t spoken in 6 years! Please KEEP JETT ALIVE IN YOUR HEARTS ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR LIL GIRL!! MY PRAYERS, Dorothy Davis

sheila January 3, 2009, 12:15 AM

My biggest concern is not the autism…it’s the seizures. Were they being treated or not. The seizure caused the death.

Apple  January 3, 2009, 12:23 AM

So So Sorry for the lost! My son has the kawasaki diease when he was 3 months and know what you probably went through My love and prayer are with you

michelle January 3, 2009, 12:45 AM

John,Kelly and Ella, My family sends you thoughts and love at this tragic time.

Anonymous January 3, 2009, 1:40 AM

i also have lost a son, there for I can honestly say I know the pain and heartache that this family is feeling now and unfortunatly, will always feel. Even though there is already so much controversy about religion and medical condition, please remember that a beautiful, young life has been lost. Our hearts and prayer should be for this family, even if you didn’t necessarily have the same beliefs. Unless you have lost a child, you could not possibly know what this family is unfortunatly experiencing now. Put your opions aside and pray for them. Thank you, from a grieving mother, Dawn

Neeta January 3, 2009, 3:43 AM

A very bad news. May God give peace to Jett’s soul.
my deep condolences to Travolta family.

cathy austin January 3, 2009, 6:53 AM

so sad, so sad.

Lou January 3, 2009, 6:56 AM

Omg!!! how can you idoits be making comments like that, does it matter ? The family have just lost there son for gods sake i hope and pray you never lose anyone close to you, you just might then choke on your own comment.

To the Travolta family my heart felt best wishes to you and your family at this very sad time.

Linda Odendaal January 3, 2009, 8:01 AM

From Cape Town, South Africa, my deepest sympathy with the loss of your son. There are no words to comfort you, all we can say is, let God be your comfort and allow Him to mend your broken hearts, He is the only one who you can depend on. We will keep you in our prayers.

joan bugeja January 3, 2009, 8:23 AM

So incredibly sorry for the loss of your son. Some people are being very irrisponsible with their hurtful comments. The Travoltas now need all the support and morale help they can get and please stop judging others!!!!!
Will be in my prayers! God Bless!!

ayesha January 3, 2009, 9:38 AM

My deepest condolences to John and his family… May god give them strength to go through this difficult time
Ayesha.G