John Travolta and Kelly Preston's Son Dies

Jett Travolta, the 16-year-old son of actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston, has died.

john_travolta_son_dies_pm.jpg

The family was vacationing in the Bahamas when Jett passed away. Jett had a history of seizures and reportedly was autistic, but this has never been confirmed by the Travolta family. In a statement issued Friday afternoon, family attorney Michael Ossi says the teenager suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island Friday morning. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. A local police spokeswoman said Jett fell in the bathtub and hit his head.

In an interview several years ago, Kelly Preston said that when Jett was three years old he suddenly became gravely ill and was rushed to the ER. "He was really lethargic," Preston said then. "He had a high fever and swollen lymph glands. It seemed like he had a serious flu. He had a rash all over his body. They didn't know what it was." She says she was shocked to learn her son did not have the flu, but had contracted a form of Kawasaki Syndrome, a rare vascular disease that can cause serious damage to the heart. Preston believes exposure to carpet-cleaning chemicals was responsible for his near-fatal illness. After this incident, Preston became a crusader for the development and use of safe household chemicals.

Our thoughts are with John and Kelly during this awful time.

next: What You Need to Know About the HPV Vaccine
purplecrystal January 3, 2009, 1:31 PM

I am so very sorry for the family and my prayers go out to them.

Patti January 3, 2009, 1:57 PM

I lost my 27 year old brother suddenly in an auto accident almost 2 years ago. I lost a piece of my heart that awful day a piece that it is gone forever. My Mom will NEVER recover it is a pain that can not be described. She had lost my father less than a year before and as painful as that was it in no way compared to the loss of her Son. Yes, we all move on but does the sadness and that unbelievable feeling of loss go away… I don’t think it ever will. I have since had my own daughter and I can not imagine what my Mom has been going through. Yes, he was my brother but he was her SON. For 27 years she loved, taught, worried and cared for him every minute of everyday and though she knows he is still with her it is the most horrible pain one can endure. I will pray for everyone affected by the horrible loss of this young boy especially Mr & Mrs. Travolta and their daughter they will all grieve for a very long time. Everyone please remember celebrity or not they are people, people with real feelings. In this moment it doesn’t matter about beliefs. Parents do what they think is best for thier children there isn’t a parent out there that is perfect. Let’s try not to be judgmental and just remember what matters. They have lost a son, a brother a friend a member of their family. God Bless them.

Andrea January 3, 2009, 2:05 PM

I cannot imagine what it feels like to loose a child,I offer my deepest sympathy to Mr and Mrs Travolta.

Anonymous January 3, 2009, 3:28 PM

i hope jett lived a great life

DJE January 3, 2009, 6:03 PM

To me there is nothing as horrible to lose a child. My prayers are with the family.

Miranda January 3, 2009, 11:27 PM

My heart and prayers go out to the Travolta family. May the the Lord Bless You at this difficult time.

Senjuto January 4, 2009, 10:32 AM

I have only sympathy to Jett’s sister for the death of her brother. John and Kelly should accept responsibility for not getting Jett the help he needed and leave the cult that is Scientology. I hope they get grilled by the media for why they denied their son was autistic.

Jett, I hope wherever you are, you are at peace and away from the controversy about to engulf your parents. RIP

Rose January 4, 2009, 11:57 AM

For the rest of the U.S., if a parent reufses to give a child medications the child needs (insulin, anticonvulsants, whatever), and the child dies, the parent is held responsible and usually goes to jail. There are many, many reports of Scientologists who were told to discontinue or not start anticonvulsants for epilepsy. If the Travoltas withheld meds from their child due to their religious beliefs, they should be held responsible. Movie stars should not live by different laws.

robyn January 4, 2009, 11:54 PM

greetings from new zealand. im so gutted to hear of this tragedy. my heart goes out to you. i have lost 3 children in pregancy and have 6 special needs kids with severe autisim, aspergers, adhd, add, odd, etc. the youngest are twins. im a single parent in a wheelchair fighting life threatening disease and all sorts other medical conditions. i fight every day and would never hide my childrens special needs. they are my special angels that im so blessed to have and so proud of and they give me such joy. hold your head high these awesome people do have a lot to offer to. i had no idea jett was autistic, ive been huge john travolta fan since he started. god be with you and my thoughts are with you all the way from new zealand

c-love January 4, 2009, 11:56 PM

my heart goes out to the family may god bless u all

a mom January 5, 2009, 10:29 AM

Firstly my heartfelt condolences and prayers go to the Travolta family……clearly the critics have yet to lose a child and/or come to grips with a loss of this magnitude.. how sanctimonious and RIGHT humans are …..how about some simple sympathy and less judgement…

Damaris Samolinski January 5, 2009, 10:37 AM

I’m so very sorry for your lost. My prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous January 5, 2009, 10:40 PM

was his son autistic or not?

VaxxNo January 11, 2009, 11:24 AM

The described symptoms could also be caused by vaccination. John Travolta should mention this fact.

g

viki January 13, 2009, 3:35 AM

some of you, and you know who you are, should be ASHAMED of yourselves. You have absolutely no right to critisize the couple at this time and a religion Take a good look at yourself first. Is their something in your life you dont feel good about. Improve yourself first, then maybee you can point at another. Ugly!

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 9:22 PM

Being Scientologists they would not have sought any therapy for their son. It is terrible how they hid him away. Looking at him you can tell something is wrong with him.

Vxenwvnm June 28, 2009, 2:24 PM

z7OTHE comment2 ,

Truman Wik November 9, 2010, 12:50 AM

Juicy Couture, Lyle and Scott, Ralph Lauren, Franklin and Marshall … We are also proud stockists of UGG boots and as official authorised retailer we only sell genuine Boots. We stock Argyle, Bailey, Cardy, Sheepskin, …