Judge Hauls Casey Anthony Into Court

Casey Anthony, who sits in jail accused of murdering her 3-year-old daughter Caylee, was hauled into court by a judge on Thursday.

As we reported earlier this week, the hearing was to discuss "disturbing" images of the scene where little Caylee's remains were found. Casey's attorneys had initially said that she had waived her right to appear at the hearing, but prosecutors objected, saying the accusmed mom should be ordered into court and questioned. The judge agreed and deputies were sent to the Orange County Jail to fetch Casey. She arrived soon after, wearing her typical jail garb.

After confirming to the judge that she had, in fact, waived her right to appear, the judge ordered Casey to stay for the rest of the hearing. CNN reports she sat expressionless in the courtroom, while the lawyers discussed various issues, including whether restrictions would be placed on the copying of images and X-rays of Caylee's remains and just who can view those pictures.

In Thursday's hearing, the prosecution and defense argued over just who would have access to the photos. Prosecutors are concerned about the defense's desire to copy the photos and send them to their expert witnesses, many of whom are outside of Florida. Their concern is that the pics will end up on the Internet and in the hands of the press. According to the prosecution, the photos are "not necessarily gruesome, but they are disturbing," especially images of Caylee's skull. The defense is arguing that while they don't want the photos to be made public either, they need to have them analyzed by experts to provide the best possible defense of Casey. Both sides eventually agreed to set up a secure website for the experts to view the photographs.

A trial date has not been set for Casey, who faces life in prison if convicted. Prosecutors have said they will not seek the death penalty against her.

See Also:

next: Anderson Cooper Moderates Dog Debate
me January 9, 2009, 1:36 PM

while i am sure part of the reason they try to keep her away from cameras is so that we don’t judge her every facial tick, i’m going to make a comment anyway: she has no make up on, and yet she looks well rested and like she’s doing well. i’m a little taken back by the fact that she doesn’t look AT ALL like a woman who, less than a month ago, found out that her daughter was murdered and has been sitting in jail without any solace.

Helen B. January 9, 2009, 1:42 PM

I saw this video yesterday and it made me so mad I could have slapped the daylights out of that girl! She sits there stoic, grinning now and then at Baez just as if we were talking about maybe a broken doll or toy. You would never know that this is a person who has lost a child, much less killed one. She is the most cold hearted female I have ever seen and God forbid I ever see another like her! In case she is unaware, this confirms that she is Satans hand maiden. You would think you would see some form of remorse or regret from her eyes at least. Maybe some form of grief over her child but, there is none. Is she so sure she will be getting off this charge scott free or does she have a death wish? Her demeanor is downright smug, confident and sickening. When the judge ordered her to be in the court room for the hearing, he should have forced her to look at the photos of her little girls remains just to see if there were any reaction to this. Casey should be ordered to be at any and all hearings, why allow her waive her rights to anything? She has no rights! She is just a cold hearted murderer of the worst kind and she has not earned one thing other than the flames of hell. I only wish that I could be at her trial whenever it comes around, I’d love to glare at her while she lies some more. I would also love to be there when she finds out she will not go free but instead be inside walls for the remainder of her sorry life. I am just sorry that they removed the possibility of death for her, she does not deserve to live off the system or taxpayers money for lifetime. Evidently she has no regard for life, not even her own childs life. A child is not a throw away when you are done being a mommie, at least give the child the right to live and give them to someone who will love them. She only used motherhood for favors, or to get freebies from any place she could and when that seemed to be slipping away she got rid of her meal ticket. Bottom line is she took a life, she should have to give hers up in return. The crying is not present now, and I ask why not? You cried when you got caught, so where are the tears for your dead child? I guess the Lord knew what he was doing when I did not become a judical instrument, could not have sat in direction of a trial such as this without throwing something at the smug little tramp!

ayg January 9, 2009, 1:42 PM

Caylee is listed in this article as 3 yrs old, HOWEVER Caylee never made it to 3. She was 2 when she died and should always remain 2 in our memories. Justice for Caylee!

linda61 January 9, 2009, 1:44 PM

Any person with any feeling whatso ever would have at least shed a tear while listening to people talk about what to do with pictures of the sketonized remains of their child.That is one cold,heartless B—CH in plain english

Helen B. January 9, 2009, 1:45 PM

Dear Me,
This woman is well rested, well fed and clean. She is well taken care of, not like the child she threw away. It took us all by surprise to see her demeanor. She is not suffering for one thing, it is all provided for her at our expense. I for one do not appreciate paying for her upkeep.

Jenelle January 9, 2009, 2:25 PM

I understand rage for Caylee. But I don’t think Casey is sane. A sane person would not hurt their child and a sane person would have a clue about the seriousness of their situation. Yes, she was grinning - she has NO idea what she has done, the consequences of those actions, or the proceedings going on about her. If ever there were proof of mental illness………..here you go. Tragic for everyone involved.

linda61 January 9, 2009, 2:28 PM

Casey was checked out by phyciatrists at the jail and they concluded that she was not insane.

knarahs January 9, 2009, 4:14 PM

Jenelle, I understand your feelings in doubting whether Casey is sane. Sane people hurt their children all the time — that is, EVIL sane people hurt their children. Don’t let the murderer hide behind a cloak of “insanity” or “personality disorder.” Whoever killed Caylee (even though I beleive Casey did it, she hasn’t been convicted yet), KNEW it was wrong, since they went to great lengths to conceal her little body. Therefore, the murder is not insane, just EVIL.

GOOD people recognize that other people have just as much right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as themselves, and wouldn’t even think about killing anyone else, let alone a precious little one like Caylee, then tossing them in a garbage bag and throwing them away like so much trash.

Let’s be clear — whoever murdered Caylee was SANE, and should be punished to the full extent of the law. Our children are our most precious resource, and must be protected at all costs.

Chickie2465 January 9, 2009, 4:36 PM

I was just reading the transcript of Lee Anthony’s first police interview, and something struck me as odd. When he was describing the smell coming from Casey’s car in the garage he says, “The windows were rolled down to what I assume ventilate the horrible smell that I had just, just uh, smelled for the first time.” I wonder why he would feel the need to say that he had just smelled the smell for the first time. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to describe how horrible the smell was, and not mention that he was smelling it for the first time?

linda61 January 9, 2009, 4:49 PM

Lee was also laughing when describing to the police that his father had to drive the car home with the widows open because it smelled so bad. I hardly see the humor. SICKO FAMILY every one of them

Helen B. January 9, 2009, 4:51 PM

Makes one wonder if Lee did indeed smell the odor for the first time. My guess has it that he was aiding the wicked sister in her deeds. Too many things lead to that in my opinion. I am sure Casey did the act herself but I still feel she had some help in covering it up. Just read on another site that there were weeds growing through the bones, tells me she was there a while so the speculation of her being moved went out the window.

maeby January 9, 2009, 8:51 PM

I’m curious about what will happen after casey is found guilty. Is she going to remain in the cozy single cell she is now or will she join the rest of the inmates in REAL prison hell? Where she’ll have to trade her peanut butter cups and instant chicken lunches for protection from a rival gang. where she’ll have to shower in front of everyone and sleep with one eye open. or will our tax dollars keep her nice and safe and cozy?

Mar January 10, 2009, 5:57 PM

To Chickie, excellent observation RE: lee saying smelled for the first time. Never picked up on that. I loved hearing the chains rattling as she had to walk in court to her seat. She puts on a good front but down deep it was killing her to be displayed all shackled up in court like the animal she is, and that is not even a good word for her, let me make that monster instead. She needs to die by guillotine in public. Shes a demon for sure.

Anon January 11, 2009, 4:41 PM

Why is Casey Anthony always in a belly chain and shackles? Even in the jail visitation videos. Is she not allowed to leave her cell unless she is chained up. I don’t see her as being a risk and they could at least allow her to wipe her tears away.

lo January 11, 2009, 10:13 PM

I think this whole family is weird. The only sane one sadly was caylee.I just cant believe she could murder such a cutie. she is a nut case. I also think her attorney and her are alittle to close. :( maybe they are having an affair why did she spend hours in his office???? The Grandma is obviously the boss and controller of everyone. Just weird the whole case!!!!! I hope the proscecuters put her away.

Sally January 12, 2009, 10:54 PM

Casey has been described by psychiatrists and FBI profilers as a sociopath and not mentally ill. She has that smug look because she thinks she is going to get away with murder since she is tiny, sexy, attractive to men and her big strong male attorney believes in her innocence. Baez seems to be the only one who does these days. I’m sure Lee, Cindy and George knew Caylee was dead and Casey murdered her especially since their PI was searching for a dead body a month ago all the while he and the Anthonys were claiming Caylee was alive and well and traveling around the country with a nice family. It makes me sick every time I see Casey in court smirking and exchanging secret smiles with her attorney. I can’t wait until a jury finds her guilty and wipes the smug look off the faces of Casey and her attorney. Watch Casey blame Baez and dump him and have Lee find her another attorney. I hope Lee, Cindy and George turn their back on her and she is alone in prison the rest of her life.

Anonymous January 12, 2009, 11:18 PM

There’s another possible explanation for that “smug look.” It’s called numbing out. It can be one of the manifestations of post-traumatic stress disorder, a condition a certain percentage of people who have been traumatized severely are left with. Combat sodiers, rape victims among them…

Sally January 13, 2009, 3:36 PM

The way Casey lied to and played a cat and mouse game with the police, made comments that the police were dumb and she didn’t trust them, the way she is only concerned about herself, the fact that she was jealous that her fiancee and parents loved Caylee, that she was unconcerned about Caylee and didn’t want to discuss her diappearance points more to the fact that Casey is a sociopath. There is no evidence that Casey suffers from post traumatic stress disorder.

Sam January 14, 2009, 1:32 PM

Casey is not a flight risk or a danger risk to anyone around her, but the prosecutors want her shackled in front of the public eye so she can be humiliated. Why allow her to saunter about like she did when they bailed her out? Her being shackled is an added “punishment” for now. The rest of the punishment will come later when she is treated to justice by the general population in prison.

As for Baez, he knows that his client is guilty. Most criminal defense attorneys are experienced enough to know when someone lies to them, esp. in light of all the evidence pointing to the contrary. But Baez continues to represent her because he is being paid through some arrangement; maybe the sale of photos and publicity items that pay his high fees. If he withdraws, another attorney will take over and THAT attorney will benefit from the high profile case. Someone has to represent Casey, so Baez concludes that it might as well be him.

Sally January 15, 2009, 5:18 PM

You’re right, Sam. Baez is representing Casey because it is a high profile case and he loves the publicity and the money. He has said he is not pro bono so he is being paid from the $200,000 the Anthonys made from ABC and NBC for photos of Caylee. Baez knows she is guilty but he makes her believe he believes she is innocent. He plays the game by smiling at her like he adores her, pats her on the back, hugs her, assures her he believes in her innocence. You can tell by the way Casey looks at Baez that she thinks he believes she is innocent and that he is going to get her out of jail. When she is found guilty, she will discard him like she did Caylee and move on to the next male lawyer who tells her he believes in her innocence and beg him to file an appeal saying Baez was incompetent.