Kate Winslet Won't Fly With Her Husband

Post 9/11, many parents do. Here's why.

Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes

Actress Kate Winslet and her husband director Sam Mendes fly on separate planes when traveling without the kids. The couple have agreed never to fly together, to ensure that their son Joe and Winslet's daughter from her first marriage Mia are never left without both parents.

Mendes was booked on one of the flights hijacked by the 9/11 terrorists, according a friend quoted by a newspaper, but missed his flight. Winslet was on a British Airways flight from London to Dallas when a man stood up on the plane and shouted that he was a terrorist and they were all going to die. The man was arrested after the plane landed.

A spokesman for the pair told the Daily Mail on Sunday: "Where possible, Kate and Sam do prefer to travel in separate planes."

After 9/11, mom Traci vowed to never fly with her husband for the same reason. "We flew to New York, and I took one plane, he took another, " she says. "If something happened, I wouldn't want us both to be on the same plane and our kids to be orphans."

Some might say these parents are being paranoid ... after all, a car is much more dangerous than a plane, and husbands and wives drive together without the kids all the time. But if we had missed a hijacked plane on 9/11, we would be overly cautious, too.

Do you and your husband fly separately?

see more photos see more photos
Kate Winslet Remembering 9/11

next: I Survived Medieval Times
ashley January 28, 2009, 10:25 AM

That makes absolute total sense to me. I had never thought of that.

Brooke January 28, 2009, 12:28 PM

My Aunt & Uncle have done this since their daughter was little. She’s 45 now! Now they don’t fly with their daughter and grandson.

Jenny January 28, 2009, 2:21 PM

If that is what they feel they need to do then I don’t think they should be judged for it. Obviously they have their children’s best interest at heart to make a decision that I am sure can be inconvenient at times.

For me personally, I am a christian and believe in God’s plan and trust him to look after me and my children.

michelle January 28, 2009, 2:40 PM

good idea, although if I presented it to my husband, he’d think I was paranoid.

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 2:46 PM

My sister did this. Totally get it.
But she also did it when they had the kids and they split them up too with them. I have to say, if half of us were going down, I would want it to be all of us.

Beth January 29, 2009, 4:44 AM

Isn’t it safer to fly on a plane than drive your car down a street? We don’t drive seperately do we?! I’d far rather sit next to my husband then someone I didn’t know on a long haul flight.

boy of phillipines December 3, 2009, 8:05 PM

h! kate

fizywelko January 20, 2011, 4:14 AM

Real nicely codified aggregation it contains helpful entropy for me. I am golden to find your great way of composition the accumulation. Now you modify it painless for me to realize and implement the concept. Impart you for the berth.
best sample resumes