Keep Your Kids Out of My Gym!

As if it's not hard enough to get a good workout in, your kids are making it unbearable.

woman trying to workout and kids playing with drinking fountain

Guest blogger Childless Bitch: I know you're trying to stick to your New Year's resolutions (great, you're hitting the gym about five years too late), but just because you've decided to start a new journey in your life, doesn't mean it should affect what I have been diligently doing for ummm ... about 15 years. I pay good money for my gym membership, and the last thing I need is this:

1. Your kids spend like 30 minutes drinking water at the fountain. What? You don't have any water at home?

2. Speaking of the water fountain, they spit on it. Ew. Disgusting.

3. I do not want to see your Miley Cyrus-looking daughter jumping around in my aerobics class. She should be watching the Disney Channel instead.

4. The ONE place that is supposed to be relaxing in the gym is the steam room. They're sitting around in bikinis making ME feel like I shouldn't be naked. I don't want to hear about your kid's text message to her 5th grade boyfriend.

5. Keep their time in the locker room to a minimum. Their hair and stuff is everywhere and they leave a mess.

6. The treadmill is for walking and/or running, it is NOT an amusement park ride. If they fall off, I will not stop my workout to help them up. Sorry. They shouldn't be on it in the first place.

7. There are signs to wipe off equipment after using it. Your kids left snot and God knows what else behind on the handles. At least teach them to clean up after themselves.

Since you bring your kids everywhere, including the nail salon (that's a whole other story), the gym is the last place left for a little "me time." Do you mind just leaving them at home next time? Or find a gym with day care. Thanks.

next: Was Caylee Anthony a Child of Incest?
Dee January 9, 2009, 8:16 AM

Sorry, but we also “PAY” for the right to take our children to the gym. They are members also. If you don’t like it, buy equipment and stay home. It is the only place you control.

my say January 9, 2009, 11:14 AM

Most gyms require children to be at least 16 yrs old, an age where kids are supposed to be capable of conducting themselves. However, not all kids are ready for a gym. I was a gym member at 17 and followed the rules, but do not be quick to assume all children behave this way. I see plenty of adults not cleaning the machines. Oh, and P.S, why would you compare your body to a 5th graders?

jackie January 9, 2009, 12:16 PM

i agree—it’s the one sacred place to get some much needed alone time, whether you’re a mom or not! Its the place to get away from the kids for an hour—and i don’t want to be around someone else’s kids either.

Jenny January 9, 2009, 2:15 PM

Wow hell has frozen over, I agree with CB. But honestly Ive never seen a gym that allowed children unless maybe you are working out at the YMCA, I think children are allowed there. My unsolicited advice would be to join a gym that has a policy against children in the work out areas.

DD January 9, 2009, 3:29 PM

I have kids and I totally agree! I go to the gym to get a break from my kids and relax and unwind. The last thing I want to see at the gym is other peoples kids acting up when I’m trying to relax. Oh and to ‘my say’ the author wasn’t comparing her body to a 5th grader’s body, she was commenting on the inappropriateness of children being allowed in a steam room where adults are nude. For that reason alone they shouldn’t be in there.

maeby January 9, 2009, 8:58 PM

my gym requires kids to be at least 12. I’ve never seen 12 year olds there though. Yeah i think i would lose my mind if kids were hoppin all over the place. I would def stay home and work out then and save my self 70 bucks a month.

Renee January 10, 2009, 10:07 AM

I just stumbled upon you blog and love it! Great to finally see a place like this. It really is sad to see the majority of parents raising obnoxious kids and letting them run their households. Do you have a private blog?

SDmomof2 January 29, 2009, 3:33 PM

Man, get out of that gym immediately! If you belong to a gym that allows kids to “hang out” in the work out area - it’s a crappy gym! Not only dangerous for the kids - but, annoying to EVERYONE - including me - mom of 2. I wouldn’t think of having kids hanging around getting snot everywhere. Gross. Plus, that’s MY time!! They can hang out at home with Daddy or in the “kids zone” with the other rugrats!

sheri February 14, 2009, 2:39 PM

Hilarious! I get enough of a workout chasing mine around the house! Crunches, curls, squats, resistance training…

Vanburenmom February 26, 2009, 11:02 AM

Ok Guilty I used to bring my son to the gym with me in the evening. But he was 6mths old, in a baby carrier and was the quietest baby EVER! Seriously he never cried once when I would take him! He thought it was funny that Mommie ran in place and he would clap for me. Than in the locker room I would put his carrier just outside the shower curtain so he could see me under it and he would giggle at my feet, and I would splash him!

But that said, children older than babies and younger than teens should be kept out of the gym and at GYMBOREE!

Cassandra March 4, 2009, 5:33 PM

I didn’t think that children under 16 were allowed in gyms. I thought there were laws because of all the dangers. I personally wouldn’t want to take my child anyways because how can you watch them when you are trying to lift weights or something like that. I know it would never work with my kids, I have to be able to jump up and grab them at any given second.

cindy March 17, 2009, 4:22 PM

And keep your little boys out of the women’s locker rooms! Do you take them to strip clubs too?

SA May 12, 2009, 8:17 PM

So right. Children have no place at the gym. I’m surprised they are allowed, due to the potential for injury. Most gyms (at least in my state) have playrooms for children, and they do not allow children under a certain age to use any equipment, or be any place other than the playroom without a parent.

Ashley  May 13, 2009, 3:49 PM

I pay for the gym just like you! And i have had my membership 2 years before i got knocked up. I agree with Dee if it’s that big of a problem work out at home. Go run around your town, it’s free and you might not see any kids. Dont like a water fountin with germs bring your own water. Trust me there are adults getting all kinds of nasty stuff on them also. You need a new gym!

Gaxkermm July 1, 2009, 1:01 AM

GM1Qdl comment4 ,

LizM October 20, 2009, 12:55 PM

The only gym I’ve ever belonged to that allowed kids had specific rules about modesty in the locker room/steam room/etc. Chances are if “your” gym allows kids it has that rule as well. How about you get off your high horse and follow the rules?

nellie616 October 20, 2009, 2:48 PM

Thanks for thinking of those who decided to procreate vs those who can’t live with kids.
Amazing how the world is ALWAYS and EASILY offended by anything and everything.

anonymous October 20, 2009, 3:54 PM

Were no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do i
A full commitments what Im thinking of
You wouldnt get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how Im feeling
Gotta make you understand

* never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Weve know each other for so long
Your hearts been aching
But youre too shy to say it
Inside we both know whats been going on
We know the game and were gonna play it

And if you ask me how Im feeling
Dont tell me youre too blind to see

(* repeat)

Give you up. give you up
Give you up, give you up
Never gonna give
Never gonna give, give you up
Never gonna give
Never gonna give, five you up

I just wanna tell you how Im feeling
Gotta make you understand

j October 29, 2009, 7:51 PM

I have kids and completely disagree with this article. The gym is a sacred place to work off frustration, and despite being a mother myself I find myself constantly annoyed by other mother’s lack of common sense. I hope I never become so stuck-up

cheapviagra912 August 30, 2010, 4:49 AM