Lazy Mom Confessions

As moms, we have too much to do and not enough time to do it. Here, we confess our sins.

kid eating while dog eats his food. Mom ignoring

Radical Mommy: As a mother, have you ever done something in the privacy of your own home that you'd be horrified if other people knew about? Are you afraid they might think you're dirty, careless, lazy, or worst of all ... a bad mother?

Well, even the best moms in the world have dirty little secrets and lazy moments that we hide from the rest of the world for fear of being judged. And because I am sick of feeling guilty all the time, I decided to find out what they were. If anything, I thought it would make me feel better about not washing my son's hair for weeks on end because I can't deal with the "battle" that ensues each and every time he sees a bottle of shampoo.

In order to protect the identities of the moms involved (and to ensure that social services aren't called -- just kidding), I'm not using any names. When you read what these lazy moms have to say, you'll see why.

Lazy Mom Confession #1: "Sometimes, if my baby poops after dinner, I leave him in his diaper because I know in a matter of 10 to 20 minutes, I will be giving him a bath ... I sometimes leave my baby's sheets on his crib for a week or two longer than I should. It's a pain in the ass to change. I'm also sometimes too lazy to cut and peel grapes for him so I bite them in my mouth and hand them to him instead."

Lazy Mom Confession #2: "I'm not really sure where to start. Sometimes if my child pees in the bed and only a little bit gets on the sheets, I won't change them -- gross! Also, I call my dogs over rather than actually pick up fallen food myself. And last, but not least, I NEVER take my kid to the park -- because I can't stand it. So mean."

Lazy Mom Confession #3: "When cleaning up around the house, I sometimes pick up little objects and stray pieces of paper ...and rather than asking if they belong to anyone, I just toss them in the trash. I usually regret doing this, because invariably, they end up being someone's coveted now-missing item and the blame is mine. I am also frequently too lazy to separate recyclables from basic garbage and end up lumping it all together in basic trash. And lastly, rather than saving dinner leftovers that I know I could recreate into a morning omelet or side dish, I just toss them down the garbage disposal."

Lazy Mom Confession #4: "I don't give kids baths every night ... we do every other.
The house is usually a mess unless we're having guests over , because we just don't have time for deep cleaning. The area behind my TV looks like a dust bowl. Can't even begin to deal with that. HORRIBLE!"

Lazy Mom Confession #5: "Sometimes when I don't have enough time to give my 2-year-old a bath, I give her a quick sponge bath with baby wipes."

Are you guilty of being a lazy mom? If so we want to hear from you -- we promise we won't tell.

next: Ambulance Driver Arrested in Travolta Plot
Anonymous January 23, 2009, 8:29 PM

sounds like practicality to me.

Nadja January 23, 2009, 8:49 PM

Sometimes I pretend to be holed up in the bathroom on the toilet just so I can sit in there for as long as I want and read a magazine. I mean, who’s gonna bother you on the toilet doing “that”?

Anonymous January 23, 2009, 9:03 PM

I use the dirty socks my kids leave laying around to dust the furniture! eewww!

diana January 23, 2009, 9:17 PM

OK, this is not that bad, but really lazy — I put breakfast food in little sandwich baggies (cereal, fruit, mini muffins, etc) so I don’t have actually prepare breakfast. I click on the TV and my daughter helps herself to breakfast. Perfect for weekends!

shannon January 23, 2009, 10:43 PM

None of these posts sound very horrible to me. I think the worst thing that I have ever done was use a wipe to wipe up pee, and then use the other side to wipe up something else. Once I thought about it, I was completely disgusted.

Maria January 24, 2009, 12:53 AM

When my boys were age 2 & 4.I would put a cup of milk in the fridge and a bowl of cereal covered in saran wrap on the table so they could eat and I could sleep in an extra half hour or so…
To this day I rarely make breakfast they can fix it themselves.

Melissa January 24, 2009, 1:52 AM

OMG I can’t believe I just read from Nadja, the exact same selfish thing I do. But to hear her write it she does not seem selfish because I know where she is coming from. I am so guilty of locking myself in the bathroom from time to time just to get some “me time” It is probably one of the few doors that has a lock on it. I feign ” real bad tummy cramps” because it does not take them long to locate me & they stand outside the door calling for me or fighting with one another. I am a full time lawyer with trips (girls) age 8, a 7 year old son and I recently remarried and my husband has twin boys and another boy just 11 months older. The boys are with us 4 nights a week and his 12 year old daughter from first marriage is with us every other weekend and every Sun & Monday night. Sometimes I have to escape. My “dirty: secret is that if one of the boys wets the bed and wakes me up in the night I put a few towels down and put him back to bed ( I do change him of course)gross I know, but I have to sleep some

aileen January 24, 2009, 3:10 AM

sometimes,especially in the winter, I can’t be bothered to make a salad with dinner, so my kids just end up eating the meat and carbs.

Medin January 24, 2009, 4:05 AM

I can relate to everyone. No one is perfect and we as moms never say no or give limits therefore, we crack,take creative (sometimes gross) shortcuts and it eats away at us because we have the superwoman I can do it all syndrome. Ladies give yourselves a break and do what you can, when you can and have no regrets about it. I am a stay at home mom of an 8yr old and 3yr old and I have no regrets about taking a walk just to clear my mind. I have to look out for me first because if i’m not in the mood for anything then the entire house is off balance. Meditate to keep yourself sane, eat breakfast, try and have a couple healthy snacks in the home that you enjoy and take a small time out in small increments starting at five minutes that EVERYONE in your home has to respect and gradually increase your me time as the family gets used to it. This is what truly worked for me and hopefully this will work for someone reading this.

Karen January 24, 2009, 6:31 AM

I seriously did not think ANY of those were bad,I’ve put a towel down on my son’s bed before so i could get that extra sleep and i use socks to dust(They are great).We are only human,right.When we really think about it,Mom’s have the most DEMANDING job their is,as ong as our kid’s know they are loved and feel safe and secure,I say sit on the bowl and take a much deserved break..

mollysmom January 24, 2009, 9:03 AM

this made my morning, thanks!

Randi January 24, 2009, 9:14 AM

Okay - This is lazy and cheap. My 4yo daughter has never been sick (knock on wood). In the first couple years I took her to the doctor for every cold and fever. We never once received an antibiotic or any other script. In the last two years our office co-pays have gone though the roof. Two months ago she had a bad cough, I called the doctor a couple times over the three weeks, and they said wait. Then I took her in, and they said rest, liquids, etc. It went away after that. I’m not sure what would get me to take her to the doctor now. Lot’s of moms I talk to think I am bad for this. I know the health care industry has raised co-pays to avoid unneeded trips to the doctor. I grew up with two nurses for parents. I know certain things will not leave on thier own (ear or bladder infections, giant bleeding cuts) but other things do, coughs, low grade fevers, bellyaches. And there is a limit to how long you should wait for them to leave.

The other thing I do, is sometimes I sleep when she is alone in the house with me. Apparently this is bad and no one ever does it. Accidents could happen, but most of our accidents have happened while I was awke, only feet away. My daughter isn’t very adventurous. She spends the time watching TV(Oh no!),playing her video games(Oh no!), or looking at picture books (she can’t read yet, Oh no!) Either I sleep in after her, or I sneak a cat nap in.

Kat B January 24, 2009, 9:33 AM

everything you described is me!! except for leaving my baby in a poopy diaper, I dont have the heart to leave her soaking in it! yes I tend to cut corners but my kids are well taken care of! when you work, have to take care of 2 kids, try to find any time to work out and are going back to school you tend to cheat a little, its ok!

Rosemarie Chanin January 24, 2009, 1:10 PM

To the Mom who said she is sick and tired of “feeling Guilty”. That is your conscience speaking!!That “feeling” is a “safe guard” that protects you and your children from bananl and base neglegence!OOPS!! You won’t like this either!! The confessions I have seen here with the exception of throwing away left-0vers are real Neglect!! Your children are at your mercy and due to their innocences and their trust in you, deserve better. If you don’t have time for these little things what will happen when your family requires hard labor and attention for their very lives. Will you also fail there?? ,You will destroy the trust your children have in you, and it will never recover.

Kelly January 24, 2009, 2:33 PM

I’m a journalist and often work insanely long hours (Generally 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., when I pick up the kids, then 8:30 p.m. [bedtime] to 11 or later. On my days off, I sometimes catch up on sleep by turning on the Wii and taking a nap on the couch. I don’t feel too bad about it because I’m still in the same room with my kids and will wake up if anything happens.

Anonymous January 24, 2009, 5:25 PM

wow rosemarie! you sound like the PERFECT mother, i am SO sure you haven’t ever done one of these things or something just as equal. it must be nice to be so perfect.

Janett January 24, 2009, 8:01 PM

Rose Marie,

Using socks to dust, putting cereal in bags, not giving your kid a bath EVERY night, that sounds like “real neglect” Are you serious???? You really don’t sound mentally healthy or balanced.

Tara January 24, 2009, 9:54 PM

I wonder if Rosemarie has any children.

I am the stay at home mom of a 4 children aged 12, 6, 5, and a 10 month old with kidney failure and is on dialysis that we do at home every night.

Talk about cutting corners! And that is all that we are doing. We as mom’s are people, too. And to all of the people like Rosemarie……WE GET TIRED, TOO.

I think I have done most of the things listed on this page, and used to feel guilty about it. I realize now, I am not a bad mother, I am human, and I am outnumbered.

Anonymous January 24, 2009, 10:32 PM

Please Rosemarie, spare me your ridiculous pontificating. You obviously don’t have children or animals for that matter. If you did, you’d know that sometimes the “lazy” short cut is what allows moms to spend MORE time with their kids. After all who do you think a child would prefer? A mom who spends all her time cleaning and making sure that everything is done perfectly thus spending NO tine with her kids or a mom who occasionally wipes up pee and then dusts with the same sock but who spend all her time with her kids. I don’t think there is ANY comparison. Get a grip woman and STOP judging!!!

Miranda January 24, 2009, 10:59 PM

I have done a lot of these things, I used to work overnights, and to get more sleep, I would pay my 7-year-old a dollar an hour to watch her 1-year-old brother, I always slept on the couch, so I was in the same room, but I got more sleep. Rosemarie, who are you to judge other mom’s? We all need time or we will go crazy!!!!!