Lazy Mom Confessions

As moms, we have too much to do and not enough time to do it. Here, we confess our sins.

kid eating while dog eats his food. Mom ignoring

Radical Mommy: As a mother, have you ever done something in the privacy of your own home that you'd be horrified if other people knew about? Are you afraid they might think you're dirty, careless, lazy, or worst of all ... a bad mother?

Well, even the best moms in the world have dirty little secrets and lazy moments that we hide from the rest of the world for fear of being judged. And because I am sick of feeling guilty all the time, I decided to find out what they were. If anything, I thought it would make me feel better about not washing my son's hair for weeks on end because I can't deal with the "battle" that ensues each and every time he sees a bottle of shampoo.

In order to protect the identities of the moms involved (and to ensure that social services aren't called -- just kidding), I'm not using any names. When you read what these lazy moms have to say, you'll see why.

Lazy Mom Confession #1: "Sometimes, if my baby poops after dinner, I leave him in his diaper because I know in a matter of 10 to 20 minutes, I will be giving him a bath ... I sometimes leave my baby's sheets on his crib for a week or two longer than I should. It's a pain in the ass to change. I'm also sometimes too lazy to cut and peel grapes for him so I bite them in my mouth and hand them to him instead."

Lazy Mom Confession #2: "I'm not really sure where to start. Sometimes if my child pees in the bed and only a little bit gets on the sheets, I won't change them -- gross! Also, I call my dogs over rather than actually pick up fallen food myself. And last, but not least, I NEVER take my kid to the park -- because I can't stand it. So mean."

Lazy Mom Confession #3: "When cleaning up around the house, I sometimes pick up little objects and stray pieces of paper ...and rather than asking if they belong to anyone, I just toss them in the trash. I usually regret doing this, because invariably, they end up being someone's coveted now-missing item and the blame is mine. I am also frequently too lazy to separate recyclables from basic garbage and end up lumping it all together in basic trash. And lastly, rather than saving dinner leftovers that I know I could recreate into a morning omelet or side dish, I just toss them down the garbage disposal."

Lazy Mom Confession #4: "I don't give kids baths every night ... we do every other.
The house is usually a mess unless we're having guests over , because we just don't have time for deep cleaning. The area behind my TV looks like a dust bowl. Can't even begin to deal with that. HORRIBLE!"

Lazy Mom Confession #5: "Sometimes when I don't have enough time to give my 2-year-old a bath, I give her a quick sponge bath with baby wipes."

Are you guilty of being a lazy mom? If so we want to hear from you -- we promise we won't tell.

next: Ambulance Driver Arrested in Travolta Plot
K&C's Mom January 25, 2009, 12:16 AM

I used to be a single mom, and let me tell you, I used all kind’s of tricks to get some me time, and to cut corners, and even to get more sleep. I would lock the doors and put my daughter’s favorite movie in and curl up on the couch for a cat nap, it never hurt her.

Anonymous January 25, 2009, 10:06 AM

I have a tip for the bed wetting, place sheet, then waterproof sheet then another sheet over the top. This is fine if your child will only wet the bed once through the night,you just have to wip the wet sheet off and waterproof sheet and go back to bed!!!

Stormy January 25, 2009, 12:21 PM

When my kids were small and I was a single mom I used to bath my kids at night and dress them for the next day and make them sleep like that so all we had to do was get up, eat and go.

Pinky January 25, 2009, 4:46 PM

I rely on TV and nintendo to entertain my three year old more than what’s “healthy”. I realize it contributes to hyper-activity and disconnects him from reality, but I’d never get ANYTHING done without them.

Linda Smith January 25, 2009, 7:56 PM

omg.. I’m SO happy I read all of these posts! I’m one of those Mom’s who tries to make everything so perfect and ends up just wrecking everything in the process! Life’s little every-day happinesses are what it’s all about and certainly laughing at ourselves (and the reality of what we do that will NEVER scar our children for life!) is one of those happinesses!!! I’ve done pretty much EVERYTHING posted here and my kids are now older and are awesome, wonderful people! Take it easy on yourselves ladies, no one is perfect.. and if they expect you to be…
$&#@ them! :)

April January 25, 2009, 11:24 PM

I am a “lazy mom”. I have 4 children, ages 10,6,5, and a 2 year old. I have napped while they play, I ask my 6 year old daughter to change the 2 year olds diaper, (only pee)
I will ask my kids to get me things because I dont want to get up.(Im not obese, i am 135 pounds) ACTUALLY sitting here typing this, I have to really think what I do wrong. I really dont know what else to write.
I do have a question for STORMY, were the kids clothes wrinkled when they woke up? Thats a funny, good idea!!!
Okay, sometimes I have my 10 year old read to the 2 year old,,,thats plain lazy!!!!

justamom January 26, 2009, 6:59 AM

OH my gosh! I feel soooooo much better.. I’ve done allot of these things. My son will be 14 and my daughter will be 4 soon, and I find myself delegating allot of the responsibility for my daughter to my son just because it’s easier. As for the mom who ‘has potty time’, I do the exact same thing! I’ve also napped, had my daughter eat cereal out of the bag for breakfast, and other things much like the moms in the other posts. Boy, I tell ya, it’s so nice to know I’m not alone! Thanks, friends!

jill January 26, 2009, 5:15 PM

I’m a stay at home mom and lately I feel so burnt out. I need to give my kids their bath but all I want to do is sleep.

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 8:05 AM

the problem is,is that mothers are supposed to do it all and in the real world it isnt happening.no one can be the perfect wife, mom or employee without driving themselves nuts.in the end if your kids are healthy,happy and not addicted to something or murders when they grow up you’ve done a good job…lol

sarah January 27, 2009, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the tips ladys… I have a 11mo old, and I like the tip about the sheet, then waterproof mat and then another sheet, I think that will help in the future! Socks for dusting.. wow.. they go right in the hamper anyways!

Allison January 27, 2009, 11:12 AM

I can see SAHMs doing this more than working moms… when you are with your baby 24/7, it’s easier to let things slide, or you’ll go crazy!

Norah January 27, 2009, 9:18 PM

Rosemarie,
Your spelling and grammar are appalling, making it difficult to take your posting seriously. The Holier-Than-Thou attitude just doesn’t work in this case- these are all loving, intelligent mothers discussing where they can be more lenient with themselves, not a bunch of child-neglecting train wrecks.Perhaps you are not accustomed to giving someone the benefit of the doubt because that is YOUR experience.Please learn to be kinder to people and you will find that people may be kinder to you.

Katie February 2, 2009, 2:48 PM

Wow Rosemarie… I think your logic is way off base. Mom’s cut corners here and there to give themselves a break! (IMO Dads cut even more corners haha) I’m insulted that you’ve compared these mom’s “laziness” to the inability to care for their family in a life or death situation… seriously! I’m a lazy mom, I confess. Mostly concerning things that other moms mentioned, nothing serious or in any way “negligent”. I also, solely, cared for my terminally ill mother for 9 months before she passed away. In no way does being a “lazy” mom here and there, equate the inability to care for a sick loved one, or family crisis! Take a closer look at yourself, you seem so tightly wound, I question whether you yourself would be able to handle such a crisis!

Jeanine February 7, 2009, 5:22 PM

I love this article….we are all human, I think its completely fine to use these little tricks of the trade! I also think its high time women STOP judging each other for doing so.

Dont Know what Im doing February 13, 2009, 8:08 PM

I feel like Im a bad parent because I do not feel as if I do not give my 4 year old daughter enough attention. We currently are living with my parents and we are in the room most of the day. I try to play with her as much as possible but I really do not know what else I can do with her. I feel like I am a bad parent because I tell her no to many time of the day.

ash February 16, 2009, 2:21 PM

im a young single mom of a beautiful 1 year old, who is finising up her degree, working crazy hours, and trying to make ends meet. My daughter is my life, but between all the otehrs thigns i have to do in my life to make hers better i cut corners too. ill call teh dog oevr to clean up stuff on thge floor, dust with socks, bath my child with wipes on occasion, and have trouble finding time to myself, ive been accused of not being able to relax, seriously… who can when you have so much stuff to do and no time to do it?!

Ju February 27, 2009, 2:05 AM

Since this was my first child, I was always right there with my daughter … and burned myself out. Now that she’s 2, it’s a little easier. I simply make sure she has snacks and drink (she knows to get the water from the water cooler if she’s thirsty), turn on the Disney channel, give her pads of paper, pens, crayons and a book. I can doze light enough where I hear anything out of the ordinary, but can get a short snooze. Sometimes, she’ll nap with me. Sometimes she’ll get a bath every other day, eat junk food (not often) get one more candy than she should … the house is messy unless we get company … I work full-time and taking 2 homework intense college courses. I need every shortcut I can get and I’m just glad I’m not the only one that does it.
@Dont Know what Im doing, don’t feel bad about telling her no, kids need to know that they won’t get their way in everything. At least you are TRYING to play with her. Does your parent’s house have a yard? Is there a park nearby? Maybe get some coloring activity books and color together? My daughter loves to sing, dance, and draw with me. Just a thought.

Jamie March 4, 2009, 5:02 PM

I have a tendency to be lazy as well. Yes I’m a stay at home mom, but that doesn’t make it any simpler, or give me any more time for that matter. I’m in the middle of potty training my daughter and I will give her a book or some toys to play with while she sits on the potty and I can relax in the other room. I’m 5 months pregnant and give her baths every other night, leave the door open in the day to the bathroom when Im showering so she can come in and prove that she’s fine. It’s not neglect if I want to take a shower… in fact she is more independant than any kid I know. She goes to the fridge and gets the bottle of juice out and brings it to me, because she wants to… and it helps me. I have toy boxes in the living room and her bedroom but usually just clean up the living room because she wrecks her room in two minutes anyways. Cutting corners are a true sanity saver when you have to cook and clean an entire house every day by yourself with children wreaking havok left and right. I’m not only a mother, I’m an appt. scheduler, I’m the rememberer of all things important,the doctor, the punisher, the comforter, the fun person, the calm person, the loving mother and wife, the planner and so on. So for those of you who doubt us stay at home moms, we do more than you think, and our houses get twice as messy and we are constantly cleaning up because are kids are running around all day long. It’s not an excuse, it’s how we choose to raise our kids and there are certain sacrifices you have to make. A little laziness here and there doesn’t mean you are a bad or neglectful parent, it just means that you are human like the rest of us.

Jodi March 13, 2009, 12:21 PM

I am for sure not a lazy mother. I do however neglect things like my own sleep and time to make sure my kids have 100% of what they need.

Xctnkgbl June 30, 2009, 6:43 AM