Lisa Rinna: "I Looked Like a Freak"

This celeb mom opens up about her kids, her husband, and her plastic surgery regrets.

The hot dancing mom -- who will soon host TV Guide's red carpet Golden Globe coverage -- spoke to momlogic about her surgery regrets, why she put her daughters in her reality show, how she keeps her marriage to Harry Hamlin hot, and much, much more.

momlogic: How do you make sure that your daughters don't feel the pressure to be thin when you are so famous for your fit figure?
Lisa Rinna:
I really work hard at that. I think it's so hard. They are growing up in this world. The images are on TV, in magazines -- everywhere. We try not to talk about diet and exercise in front of them. But I like being fit. It's part of me. And, obviously they are going to be aware of their bodies. They are growing up in California -- and in the United States, for that matter. I'm doing everything I can so they don't grow up with eating disorders or body image issues. I don't go on any wacky diets. I really try to sit and eat with them. I don't make them eat everything on their plate. I teach them that food is for sustenance and for your health, period.

If you're concerned about being healthy, see our tips on skipping fad diets this year.

momlogic: What is your reality show about?
Lisa Rinna
: It's called "I Love Lisa." It's a take off of "I Love Lucy" -- it's a scripted reality show so we won't be followed by cameras 24/7. We shoot the pilot in the next couple of weeks. Unlike other reality shows, it's more of a comedy.

momlogic: Will your daughters [Delilah Belle, 10, and Amelia Gray, 7] be in it?
Lisa Rinna:
They are going to be in it as much as they want to be in it. They would like to be in it. So we said "OK."

momlogic: Many have been criticized in the past for doing this. What do you say to those who say you shouldn't put your kids on reality TV?
Lisa Rinna
: They criticize us about everything we do. I don't care about what anyone thinks. We do what's good for our family. It's their choice. If they didn't want to be on it, I wouldn't make them.

momlogic: Would you let your daughters be actresses?
Lisa Rinna:
I have the feeling we're going down that path. Delilah is oozing talent. She's funny, can dance and sing. She just starred in "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." She played Snoopy. She stole the show and I'm not just saying that. She did it with Billy Bush's daughter. They stole the show. Josie Bush and Delilah Belle Hamlin are the comedy team of the future. But I'm not going to be driving around to auditions. When she's 18, she can do that. I think theater is great, and voice lessons are fine, but we're not going to be working. That's my plan for now, but talk to me in two years ... I may be schlepping her around!

lisa rinna wearing pink

momlogic: What's the secret to keeping your marriage hot?
Lisa Rinna:
You gotta be willing and you gotta be game. You've got to be able to continue [your sex life] when you are married with kids. You may say, "I'm tired and I've been with the kids all day," but you've got to get creative. You have to figure out how to keep your man happy. We try to go away every couple of months -- get a hotel. Sex is the first thing that goes. I try to make him happy. I don't always want to and other times I really want to. It's fun if you allow yourself to let go.

See our tips on waking up your libido to keep your marriage hot too!

momlogic: What's one of the biggest myths about you?
Lisa Rinna:
That I'm a diva and I'm a bitch. People ask people who work with me if I'm difficult. I think it's the characters I play. I get that a lot and I'm not. I'm not high-maintenance and I'm not a bitch. I'm a strong woman, but I wouldn't consider myself either of those.

momlogic: Have your daughters seen your first Playboy pictorial?
Lisa Rinna
: No, but we've talked about it.

momlogic: What do they think about you posing for the magazine this time around?
Lisa Rinna:
They don't know about it. They were definitely a consideration. [Posing] can be a way of expressing yourself and your sexuality. You can control it and control your image. If and when we have to go there, it will be a family discussion that will be challenging and hopefully thought-provoking. I view sexuality in a different way. It doesn't mean you're a victim. Doing this can be a strong and powerful choice.

momlogic: What is something people would be surprised to learn about you?
I'm a klutz.

momlogic: How much time and money would you say you spend on staying fit?
Lisa Rinna:
I don't spend a lot. I go to free dance classes because I started them with dancer Louis Van Amstel. I do the treadmill, the gym's free, but my trainer costs $130/week. [Check out Lisa's dance videos here.]

lisa rinna in 2002

momlogic: Is there any plastic surgery you regret?
Lisa Rinna:
My cheeks. I had Juvederm put in my cheeks. That's what I overdid -- big time. I tried it because my girlfriends did it. I thought: I'll do it! I saw a photo and I was like, "Oh Jesus. That's no good. That's NOT good." What I learned is that I don't really need it. You get older and insecure and you think you need it and you don't. I learned less is more. Keep your skin good. But, I still like Botox. It's great! It doesn't change the shape of my face. When you change your face, you don't look like yourself. Looking fresher is one thing. I look like a freak! I always said I wouldn't change my face, but I did it. I can't not be honest about it. I'd look like a fool. It's so obvious. I don't believe in lying. I used to feel like it was nobody's business. But when this happened, I realized I couldn't hide it.

momlogic: Who is the best-looking person on the red carpet?
Lisa Rinna
: Brad and Angie for sure. They just take your breath away for a second. Jennifer Lopez -- gorgeous, stunning -- that skin! Nicole Kidman. John Hamm.

momlogic: Who is the friendliest star?
Lisa Rinna:
One of the friendliest is Tina Fey. Debra Messing, Denis Leary, Steve Carell, all the guys from "Entourage." Eva Longoria! She's a great interview -- always game.

momlogic: Who are you most star-struck by?
Lisa Rinna:
Javier Bardem, Tom Cruise, Kate Winslet, Leonardo DiCaprio -- this is what I'm predicting for this show. I grew up in Oregon. I'm a big fan.

momlogic: Who do you still talk to from the old 'Melrose' cast?
Lisa Rinna:
I still talk to Heather Locklear, Thomas Calabro, Jack Wagner, Josie Bissett, Rob Estes, Doug Savant, Laura Leighton. I would love to do the remake. I think I'm too far down on the totem poll, though. But I would pay THEM to do it! That was my favorite show I've ever done. I loved that show. I loved playing Taylor.

Lisa Rinna will be hosting "Live at the Golden Globe Awards with Lisa and Joey" Sunday, January 11, 2009 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. ET/PT and "Golden Globe Awards Fashion Wrap with Lisa Rinna" on Monday, January 12, 2009 from 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT on the TV Guide Network.

see more photossee more photos
Muscular Celeb Moms Endoscopic Face Lifts Before and After

next: Explaining Death to a Child
Cat January 8, 2009, 5:51 PM

I have to agree, it’s the lips, they are gross. Even when she was on “Days of Our Lives” they looked unnatural. Yes, it would be nice to look like Angelina Jolie, but she was born that way. Lisa Rina otherwise is a beautiful girl, she should rely on her own beauty.
I’m a fan of hers she is a sweet person.

Cat January 8, 2009, 5:52 PM

I’m a fan of hers she is a sweet person.

Dr. Malhotra January 8, 2009, 5:53 PM

I am a plastic surgeon and her problem is very easily corrected. I use Juvederm in my practice, and i often see other surgeon’s work that is overdone and unnatural. Juvederm can be melted with a simple injection. I don’t understand why someone in L.A. doesn’t offer this to her.

suz January 8, 2009, 5:54 PM

Juvederm only lasts a year and her cheeks have looked like that for a very long time.
I think she got cheek implants and she should take them out.

Anonymous January 8, 2009, 6:03 PM

every one of you morans that think she looks the way she does because of surgery…. wrong…. if you know her.. you know thats her look.. always was always will be… botox is not considered plastic surgery….. every one of you is just jealous.. shes beautiful… if you dont see it.. then your blind…

Angelwisp2bb January 8, 2009, 6:21 PM

I have to agree with those commenters about Lisa’s lips. It’s just comical, when people get their upper lips “done.” It looks bizarre. Nowadays, with people getting all that plastic surgery and botox, everybody is
beginning to look alike, like a bunch of robots on an assembly line. What’s the fun of that? I have “pouty” lips, but I was born with them, and they don’t look extreme nor fake. People have the strangest notions about their looks, when leaving their features alone (except in extreme cases) and just and being individuals would be better. Your natural features are what give you character and interest.

Len January 8, 2009, 6:25 PM

With lips like those, I bet she can jump start a lawn mower.

Lorraine January 8, 2009, 6:26 PM

I,too cannot stand the way her lips look.She was a beautiful woman before she had these surgeries.She’s worried about her cheeks? Hope all these letters to her help her get off the plastic surgery train. Also someone commented on Meg Ryan.She looked freaky too when she first had it done. Now she is starting to look more normal.
Lisa, I think you need a new mirror that shows you what you really look like!!!!

sandy January 8, 2009, 6:30 PM

I always thought you were a beautiful woman,,it is a shame that you didn’t think so and leave well enough alone,,but go get it fixed and look like yourself again….

tl January 8, 2009, 6:32 PM

who looks worse……lisa or priscilla presley? they need to learn to age gracefully.

Vickie January 8, 2009, 6:42 PM

I don’t see a problem with her cheeks. I thought she was going to say her lips. Now, those are gross.

Jerry January 8, 2009, 7:05 PM

Those lips are disgusting.

Gwen January 8, 2009, 7:10 PM

I have always been told that juvaderm only last a few months anyway so she should be able to stick it out and learn her lesson where ever she has had it put in her face. If she has juvaderm in her lips, they will indeed go back to normal as with the cheeks. If she had lip implants, SHE NEEDS THEM REMOVED!!!!! Gwen.

Chet Parker January 8, 2009, 7:11 PM

Her lips look like truck tires. I can’t even imagine what it must feel like to kiss that mouth - aarrrgghhhh…. awful!
And extremely difficult to look at.

Jacqueline January 8, 2009, 7:18 PM

I DON’T SAYING ALL THOSE NASTY THINGS ABOUT HER IS GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING. SHE ALREADY SAID THAT SHE REGRETS SOME OF THE THINGS SHE DID.TRUE BEAUTY STARTS INSIDE,THE OUTSIDE IS JUST SUPERFICIAL.BE HAPPY AND CONTENT WITH WHAT THE LORD GAVE YOU. IF HE WANTED YOU (people in general) HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN IT TO YOU. I AM A BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMAN WITH A PETITE FRAME,5”4,140lbs.AND FULL LIPS,AND YOU KNOW WHAT? I LOVE ME,AND WOULD’NT CHANGE A THING.

Jenny January 8, 2009, 7:19 PM

Who is she kidding? I work in a women’s hospital, and I see it all the time. She not only had lip filler, but she also looks like she’s had cheek implants and a “light” lift. (Probably a breast aug, too) Sometimes women (and men) come out looking fantastic, sometimes not. Hers is the latter.

Ms Patty January 8, 2009, 7:33 PM

Her lip procedure was done with a baseball bat ! She looks rediculous!

Shirley January 8, 2009, 7:33 PM

Yes, Lisa has a beautiful figure. I cant get over the fact that she said…”Her Cheeks”. COME ON NOW!!! What ever happened to her top lip (its gross) she has a good personality, but when the camera does close ups of her its….CLICK…to another channel

ben fekin January 8, 2009, 8:01 PM

Big old MULE LIPS!

vicki January 8, 2009, 8:08 PM

Ditto to the person who said that Lisa’s lips are the problem. Whoever in their right mind would look at her cheeks and say “Oh My God!” when her lips have been a source of interesting comments for years. I can’t help but stare and stare at them. She needs to take a really objective look at herself and then ask Harry what he really thinks.
I will have to say that Lisa is a pretty good dancer, although way too skinny. If it weren’t for the lips and breasts she wouldn’t have any volume on her anywhere. On the positive side, she has a nice personality on screen and, I would guess, that she is a very good person. Her husband, who seems like a very nice person himself, should stick to dancing in private with his wife.
The message here is that no amount of plastic surgery is going to make you a better person than you already are.
The beauty lies in what is in your heart and what you decide to do with that wonderful asset. If you want to see the true beauty in someone, close your eyes and then look.

Love and peace,