Lisa Rinna: "I Looked Like a Freak"

This celeb mom opens up about her kids, her husband, and her plastic surgery regrets.

The hot dancing mom -- who will soon host TV Guide's red carpet Golden Globe coverage -- spoke to momlogic about her surgery regrets, why she put her daughters in her reality show, how she keeps her marriage to Harry Hamlin hot, and much, much more.

momlogic: How do you make sure that your daughters don't feel the pressure to be thin when you are so famous for your fit figure?
Lisa Rinna:
I really work hard at that. I think it's so hard. They are growing up in this world. The images are on TV, in magazines -- everywhere. We try not to talk about diet and exercise in front of them. But I like being fit. It's part of me. And, obviously they are going to be aware of their bodies. They are growing up in California -- and in the United States, for that matter. I'm doing everything I can so they don't grow up with eating disorders or body image issues. I don't go on any wacky diets. I really try to sit and eat with them. I don't make them eat everything on their plate. I teach them that food is for sustenance and for your health, period.

If you're concerned about being healthy, see our tips on skipping fad diets this year.

momlogic: What is your reality show about?
Lisa Rinna
: It's called "I Love Lisa." It's a take off of "I Love Lucy" -- it's a scripted reality show so we won't be followed by cameras 24/7. We shoot the pilot in the next couple of weeks. Unlike other reality shows, it's more of a comedy.

momlogic: Will your daughters [Delilah Belle, 10, and Amelia Gray, 7] be in it?
Lisa Rinna:
They are going to be in it as much as they want to be in it. They would like to be in it. So we said "OK."

momlogic: Many have been criticized in the past for doing this. What do you say to those who say you shouldn't put your kids on reality TV?
Lisa Rinna
: They criticize us about everything we do. I don't care about what anyone thinks. We do what's good for our family. It's their choice. If they didn't want to be on it, I wouldn't make them.

momlogic: Would you let your daughters be actresses?
Lisa Rinna:
I have the feeling we're going down that path. Delilah is oozing talent. She's funny, can dance and sing. She just starred in "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." She played Snoopy. She stole the show and I'm not just saying that. She did it with Billy Bush's daughter. They stole the show. Josie Bush and Delilah Belle Hamlin are the comedy team of the future. But I'm not going to be driving around to auditions. When she's 18, she can do that. I think theater is great, and voice lessons are fine, but we're not going to be working. That's my plan for now, but talk to me in two years ... I may be schlepping her around!

lisa rinna wearing pink

momlogic: What's the secret to keeping your marriage hot?
Lisa Rinna:
You gotta be willing and you gotta be game. You've got to be able to continue [your sex life] when you are married with kids. You may say, "I'm tired and I've been with the kids all day," but you've got to get creative. You have to figure out how to keep your man happy. We try to go away every couple of months -- get a hotel. Sex is the first thing that goes. I try to make him happy. I don't always want to and other times I really want to. It's fun if you allow yourself to let go.

See our tips on waking up your libido to keep your marriage hot too!

momlogic: What's one of the biggest myths about you?
Lisa Rinna:
That I'm a diva and I'm a bitch. People ask people who work with me if I'm difficult. I think it's the characters I play. I get that a lot and I'm not. I'm not high-maintenance and I'm not a bitch. I'm a strong woman, but I wouldn't consider myself either of those.

momlogic: Have your daughters seen your first Playboy pictorial?
Lisa Rinna
: No, but we've talked about it.

momlogic: What do they think about you posing for the magazine this time around?
Lisa Rinna:
They don't know about it. They were definitely a consideration. [Posing] can be a way of expressing yourself and your sexuality. You can control it and control your image. If and when we have to go there, it will be a family discussion that will be challenging and hopefully thought-provoking. I view sexuality in a different way. It doesn't mean you're a victim. Doing this can be a strong and powerful choice.

momlogic: What is something people would be surprised to learn about you?
I'm a klutz.

momlogic: How much time and money would you say you spend on staying fit?
Lisa Rinna:
I don't spend a lot. I go to free dance classes because I started them with dancer Louis Van Amstel. I do the treadmill, the gym's free, but my trainer costs $130/week. [Check out Lisa's dance videos here.]

lisa rinna in 2002

momlogic: Is there any plastic surgery you regret?
Lisa Rinna:
My cheeks. I had Juvederm put in my cheeks. That's what I overdid -- big time. I tried it because my girlfriends did it. I thought: I'll do it! I saw a photo and I was like, "Oh Jesus. That's no good. That's NOT good." What I learned is that I don't really need it. You get older and insecure and you think you need it and you don't. I learned less is more. Keep your skin good. But, I still like Botox. It's great! It doesn't change the shape of my face. When you change your face, you don't look like yourself. Looking fresher is one thing. I look like a freak! I always said I wouldn't change my face, but I did it. I can't not be honest about it. I'd look like a fool. It's so obvious. I don't believe in lying. I used to feel like it was nobody's business. But when this happened, I realized I couldn't hide it.

momlogic: Who is the best-looking person on the red carpet?
Lisa Rinna
: Brad and Angie for sure. They just take your breath away for a second. Jennifer Lopez -- gorgeous, stunning -- that skin! Nicole Kidman. John Hamm.

momlogic: Who is the friendliest star?
Lisa Rinna:
One of the friendliest is Tina Fey. Debra Messing, Denis Leary, Steve Carell, all the guys from "Entourage." Eva Longoria! She's a great interview -- always game.

momlogic: Who are you most star-struck by?
Lisa Rinna:
Javier Bardem, Tom Cruise, Kate Winslet, Leonardo DiCaprio -- this is what I'm predicting for this show. I grew up in Oregon. I'm a big fan.

momlogic: Who do you still talk to from the old 'Melrose' cast?
Lisa Rinna:
I still talk to Heather Locklear, Thomas Calabro, Jack Wagner, Josie Bissett, Rob Estes, Doug Savant, Laura Leighton. I would love to do the remake. I think I'm too far down on the totem poll, though. But I would pay THEM to do it! That was my favorite show I've ever done. I loved that show. I loved playing Taylor.

Lisa Rinna will be hosting "Live at the Golden Globe Awards with Lisa and Joey" Sunday, January 11, 2009 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. ET/PT and "Golden Globe Awards Fashion Wrap with Lisa Rinna" on Monday, January 12, 2009 from 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT on the TV Guide Network.

see more photossee more photos
Muscular Celeb Moms Endoscopic Face Lifts Before and After

next: Explaining Death to a Child
Moonchild January 8, 2009, 8:09 PM

Lisa Rinna I considered to be naturally beatiful until I saw what she did with her lips. It is very sad that she was not happy with her natural looks and have distorted her once pretty face with these horrible procedures … perhaps this has something to do with vanity or low self esteem? One has to wonder about these once beautiful women … same goes for Priscilla Presley, Cher, Melanie Griffith, Diane Cannon to name a few.

C-girl January 8, 2009, 8:40 PM

I am sad for Lisa, and I do hope she can get her lips more norman looking. I don’t think her cheeks will seem such a problem to her if she can fix her lips. I am proud of her for being so straight-forward with her feelings.. you guys don’t be so hard on her, we all do things we wish we had not done….she just happens to be very much in the ‘public’s eye’.

same lips January 8, 2009, 8:56 PM

I have yet to see anyone that looks good after they mess with their lips, why do people want big fat lips. Can’t imagine anyone saying oh your lips look great!

MJ January 8, 2009, 9:02 PM

I saw a story about this article on my yahoo home page. She said she had her cheeks done because her girlfriends did it. As parents, what do we tell our children when they want to do something stupid and they say “but mom, all my friends are doing it.” WELCOME TO THE BOTTOM OF THE CLIFF, LISA!!

CDD248 January 8, 2009, 9:27 PM

I can’t believe she thinks her cheeks are the worst plastic surgery decision. What about that duck bill of a mouth?? It can’t get much bigger or lumpier. You can find pictures of her online in the days when her mouth was natural. She was beautiful then. Now she looks like a cartoon character, along with the other over-inflated lip crowd (Pamela Anderson, Lara Boyle, Meg Ryan, Angelina Jolie for example). So unnatural looking. How did duck bills become the thing to do??

BMWSleek January 8, 2009, 11:46 PM

I have always loved Lisa and used to think she was a natural beauty. She ALREADY had very full lips before the surgery. Looks like they turned her lips inside out and glued them to her face.

Lisa, honey, good for you for coming clean about plastic surgery, but seriously, you ruined your face and good looks with those repulsive looking lips. I can’t even look at you without thinking somehow you were a burn victim - or your lips were a burn victim. It’s truly sickening!!

Cristina January 9, 2009, 12:07 AM

I remember when she was on Melrose Place and she was really pretty then.
I think she didn’t just over do it on the Juvederm for her cheeks, but it does accentuate all the other surgery she’s had.
She’s done way too much surgery all over her face, and it always starts looking bad within a short time.

Madia January 9, 2009, 1:05 AM

It is really sad when one has so little self esteem they have to go through all the plastic surgery, botox injections to feel good about themself. She ruined her looks with all she has done. Her natural beauty is gone.

Robbin January 9, 2009, 2:14 AM

Lisa, do away with the cheeks. I saw your face on one of the shows and I almost fell over. There was nothing wrong with your cheeks in the first place. Check the lips and tone down on the injections or whatever is being done to them. You are such a beautiful lady on the inside and outside. You dont need all that other craziness. Just be you.

bill January 9, 2009, 5:21 AM

free speech we love you and your body
too i would not let you down i love you
and your body i know it hard ttoo lokk like that you need me thank you by the way cops are killing kids in bloomington
indiana now too help us full jail three
years and kids are every where all night
long going to party 12 ,13,14 ,15 ,16 ,17 drink all night long

Lucky January 9, 2009, 5:43 AM

Lisa i love your name and body…

Lara January 9, 2009, 9:10 AM

From my understanding, Juvaderm is not plastic surgery. They are injections. Unless you are getting cut open, Botox and Juvederm are not classified as surgery. Not that it really matters, but it amazes me that an article is written about plastic surgery regrets, but she doesn’t reveal one cut that has been made to her. Intersting fluff piece (not really).

gary January 9, 2009, 11:02 AM

I applaud Ms. Rinna’s candor and honesty. I was biased against her before reading this interview, but I definitely respect her and like her now.

lisa January 10, 2009, 5:42 PM

shes worried about her cheeks?? plesae; whose she kidding- its so obvious her lips are way- over done; it looks ridiclious; just like melaine griffiths- why do they do that to themselves?

"D"  January 13, 2009, 10:47 PM

As for Lisa Rinna, why??. as age creeps on all of us there is a different beauty that we aquire that no one else will have,take age with a grace, youll endure and be more than what you are now.The older cant be younger,but the younger cant be older either…

meow January 16, 2009, 7:22 AM

She looks like a bad dream. Maybe leo can do her like he points. Otherwise her reality show will need some PR.

stacey January 27, 2009, 7:41 PM

i think we need to remember that she is her own person, she has the right to make mistakes. my family and i shared a flight with them from the bahamas, and i was very happy to find out that they(she her family) are just like all the rest of us, they just happen to have alot of money.

Robert Morein February 22, 2009, 6:33 PM

I’m watching the pre-Oscar show.

How come Lisa’s top lip looks like it’s been injected with marbles?

You think this looks good? You must be insane. If you’re in Playboy, do we get to look at your lumpy phony breasts, too?

Jeannie April 21, 2009, 10:49 AM

Did Joan Rivers give you the number of her plastic surgeon!? What a shame she felt the need to do that to herself. She was amazingly beautiful when on “Days Of Our Lives”. We all get old, and I bet had she let herself naturally age, she still would have been beautiful. I just hope someone out there can fix the mistakes. :(
Good Luck Girlfriend!

sherrie April 27, 2009, 2:34 PM

all of it is way too much. she looks fake. and who is she? i think all the tanning is really bad, not only bad for your skin, but the darker you go the more you look like an oompa-loompa from willie wonka.