Mom Finds Son on MySpace -- 32 Years Later!

32 years ago, a young mom gave her son up for adoption. Today, they reunite via MySpace!

Terri Fuller, Rustin hawver

Terri Fuller was just 16 years old when had a baby boy named Rustin. Her parents were going through a vicious divorce and she was stuck in the middle of it. She had no one to talk to about her pregnancy and didn't know what to do. She delivered Rustin and two weeks later her mother kicked her out of the house. She leaned on her aunt's shoulder who convinced her to give Rustin up for adoption -- and her aunt already had a couple in mind. Her aunt told her she would get pictures and updates of Rustin and that everything would be OK. She never imagined that 32 years later she would reunite with her son -- online.

ML: How did your aunt talk you into adoption?

Terri: You know, I trusted my aunt to give him to a good family. It happened at a good time -- they took him at Christmas time and I called it my Christmas miracle. I thought my aunt had my best interests at heart, until she told me I would never find Rustin and she would make sure of it. A few years down the road, I would ask what is going on with Rustin and she always said she didn't know and she hadn't talk to that couple in years. It's so hard to believe my aunt lived in the same town as my son for all those years.

ML: How long have you been searching for Rustin?

Terri: For 17 years. I found out he learned about being adopted when he was 8 years old and he's spent thousands of dollars looking for me through private detectives, but all information was erased about me.

ML: How did you find him?

Terri: I was on MySpace and on my main page I have the person I most want to meet is Rustin Haver (his name is spelled 'Hawver'). One day, someone sent me a note and it read "Hi, I'm Rustin. The person you most want to meet." The only reason he found my MySpace page was because the w stuck on his keyboard causing him to spell his last name wrong -- and that's when I popped up! All these years he never knew my name. When he stumbled across my page he told me he thought, "Oh my God, could this really could be my mom?"

ML: When did you two find each other?

Terri: He contacted me a week ago Sunday on the Internet. I immediately emailed him back that night. I could not sleep that night, because I was waiting for him to email me back. He emailed and I called him the next morning and we just cried for a while and we have talked and cried every single day since. When I told him he has a sister and brother waiting to meet him, he cried as well. We are on the phone every night to get to know each other -- we will get to know each other in time.

ML: What do you know about Rustin so far?

Terri: He's not married and has no kids. He's in college and he plays the guitar and violin.

ML:
How are your other children reacting to Rustin?

Terri: My other kids are happy and they've known about him for a long time. Although my daughter is a little jealous ... but that's to be expected, I guess. They've talked on the phone, so it will go OK -- I hope

ML: When will you be meeting in person?

Terri: We want to get together as soon as we can. He says I'm the icing on the cake in his life right now. It's exciting and the most beautiful thing happening in my life. You don't realize what kind of changes your life is going to take until you're there!

next: Dance Team Too Sexy for High School
Anonymous January 28, 2009, 9:19 AM

We’ve been using MySpace and Facebook for years to try to find my husband’s adopted son since we’ve come up blank with the adoption search people. Maybe one day, we’ll be lucky too.

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 12:26 PM

I had a foster sister when we were kids that I kept in contact with for a while after she was adopted. After a while, my letters got returned and we had no way of contacting the adoptive parents. 12 years later, I did a random myspace search for her name and sure enough - there she was! I joined myspace just so I’d be able to send her a message. She almost ignored the message, thinking I was some crazy person, but read it anyway. I’m glad she did because now I have my sister back, and a beautiful niece along with her!

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 2:19 PM

It has been 2 years since we have been reunited with our daughter we had given up for adoption 29 years ago. I am married to her father (28) years and have 5 other children. Yes, 3 full brothers and 2 sisters. It has been the most healing and amazing experience. Our lives are now complete and our hearts have healed. Please, for those of you searching, don’t give up hope. Keep the faith, God will answer your prayers. He answered ours.

Deborah January 28, 2009, 4:34 PM

I just began my search for my biological family. If anyone has any hints please let me know.

sheryl ploenzke (Hodge) January 28, 2009, 4:41 PM

I am 40 years old and have two boys right now with my marraige from 18 years. when I was younger I got married for the first time and had baby boy. was very young and gave up custody to my ex husband. long story .. I have been looking for my Son Billy who now will be around 20. I would give anything for me to see or talk with him after all these years.. he was around 2 when the last time we saw one another..

Can you help?
Sheryl

Judy, Northridge, CA January 28, 2009, 4:52 PM

I adopted my son 32 years ago and I’m the one that wants him to find his biological mom. I think it would be a good thing for him. I’m looking for Lori Smith who would be 42 years old now that lived in Northridge, CA and gave birth to a boy on August 4, 1975.

Renee  January 28, 2009, 5:00 PM

I’ve been looking for my mother for the past 20 years. I have some info on my mother if any one can help please let me know. thanks

Theresa Diaz-Nichols January 28, 2009, 6:36 PM

I also gave a daughter along time ago she turns 24 (1-30-09) tomorrow. I also am trying to you my space to find her. I pray to find her.myspace.com/TeeTop68N. I don’t know what else to do. I am so glad for your miracle. ans I hope for one of my own. Any help will be appreciated.

Gloria, Charleston, SC January 28, 2009, 6:50 PM

Heart warming! My oldest son, born in September, 1970 to “Greer or Geer in Charleston” has been a blessing! He came home with us when three-days-old. I would love to find his birth mom and share his life with her. I was told she moved to Flordia to start a new life; his father may have attended the Citadel or College of Charleston.
Perhaps I will be as lucky as others have been.
Thanks to anyone who might have info..
Gloria-Charleston, SC

anon January 28, 2009, 7:09 PM

I found my birthfamily online over a decade ago. Your best place to start is with a legal newspaper - most states required that a legal announcement be placed before the adoption was finalized, usually a month or so before (so about a year after birth). That should give you a name (or names) to start with, and you can then take those to city directories and Google. It worked for me like a charm. Any good reference library should be able to tell you what the legal newspaper was in the jurisdiction you are searching - it’s generally something that only circulated among law firms, not a general newspaper. Searching MySpace is very limiting - cast a wider net, and start at the library.

Marie January 28, 2009, 7:45 PM

I am so happy to hear this story! I have also just recently found my mother after a many years of searching. I did a background check and found her. My husband, kids and I drove the same evening to meet her. I was taken away from her when I was about 9 months old. I was 33 when I found her. This is amazing.

Ali January 28, 2009, 7:49 PM

I had a baby 30 years ago that I gave up for adoption. He contacted me last year, and I got to meet him and his two beautiful children. When we get together, I am called “Grandma” to his children. It has been the most amazing two years of my life! For those of you seeking, I will pray that you can find the ones you’re looking for.

jean January 28, 2009, 8:09 PM

i am looking for my adopted sons birth mom. He was given up at birth.Born at Cincinnati Gen.Hospital Sept.2-1964 has blond hair,blue eyes

Stephanie Hicks January 28, 2009, 10:06 PM

My son found me through the internet 6 yrs ago. I put all my information out there so that when HE was ready to find me, it would be “easy” in this world of technology. I also kept the adoption agency updated whenever I moved.

Our reunion has been wonderful. The void in my life, and his, has been filled. We see/talk to each other often. His family is wonderful.

I hope your reunion is as wondeful as ours! You now have the rest of your lifetimes to spend with one another!

Good luck…and much love!!!!

Ann January 28, 2009, 10:56 PM

I adopted a son in 1978 in Kokomo, IN… I am trying to find his birth Mom…. hope someone can help… we also adopted our daughter from Seymour, IN in 1981 and she would like to find her…. I hope someone can help….thanks in advance…

Carol January 28, 2009, 11:37 PM

I, too, would like to find a daughter born 6-02-76 in Cleveland, OH at Booth Memorial Hospital; worked with an agency in Massillon, I think United Way (?)

cs January 28, 2009, 11:39 PM

looking for Silvia Mercedez Hernandez, D.O.B. 11/27/79, who was living in California in April, l998.

Ann January 29, 2009, 12:05 AM

as we are posting these how would someone contact us from here?

lisa January 29, 2009, 5:11 PM

I found my children also through myspace almost 2 years ago…. We’ve been together ever since… Thanks a bunch Tom!!

Susan Elliott Brown January 29, 2009, 10:24 PM

Trying to find my 4 children 2 of them are in 1 adopted home; And the other 2 are in another, adopted home And are at least 20- something 28 yrs. 2 boys last name is jason codr@ joshua codr.And live somwhere in Tabor Iowa.And the other2 last names arejames@alyssa Fox they live in Carson Iowa ;