Why Marrying a Younger Man Sucks

Guest blogger mom-on-the-edge: It's not easy being the older person in the relationship. Here's why.

annoyed woman and a man drinking beer
Demi Moore did it. So did Joan Collins. But unless you're living in Hollywood or your life is like a romance novel, here are three reasons why marrying a much younger man is just plain stupid. (My husband is eight years younger than me. I speak from experience...)

1) Younger guys love beer more than you. If they have $10 extra dollars in their wallet, they will buy a six pack every single time. Never mind a nice bouquet of flowers for you.

2) Younger men have lousy taste in movies. If you're going to the movies together, the film will either have two fight scenes, a few cars blowing up or someone making jokes about their ass.

The last one is dear to my heart because I just became aware of it this weekend. My husband and I have to move. So, we made a deal. He picks out places he likes, I do the same and we keep an open mind. He went first...

The third and final reason why marrying a much younger man is just plain stupid is...  drumroll ...

3) They don't care if they live like they're still in college! The kitchen of his dream home had a mini-fridge. Perfect for holding a six-pack and not much more. It had a mini-stove.  Mustard yellow with two electric burners that looked 80 years old. And, it had a mini-dishwasher. It held about eight plates, but I wouldn't want to use it for fear of waking up the mice.

Plus, this apartment had two flights of stairs before you even got to the front door, 26 steps!  I asked him how I could do that alone with the baby, the stroller, a few bags of groceries ...  He said, "You're able-bodied." That's what he said. I'm 40! Doesn't he understand I can barely see to put the keys in the door anymore and my arms are like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons?

It's time my husband grows up! Or, maybe I just need to start making some adult decisions...

next: Man Solves Rubik's Cube After 26 Years
liz January 12, 2009, 1:23 PM

This article is pointless…stop complaining and understand that the age difference has nothing to do with those three scenerios you mentioned. Did you ever think that redecorating the apartment together might actually be a great project for the both of you to share? Beer is better than flowers, and the “26 stairs” will be great excercise for the both of you.

Anonymous January 12, 2009, 1:44 PM

Um hello, my husband is younger and he keeps me feeling young. And while he’ll have a beer now and then, he still brings me flowers, jewelry and then some. You just gotta find the right “younger guy”.

Bob January 12, 2009, 2:25 PM

I suggest you find a younger man that’s old enough to have some maturity.

Melissa January 12, 2009, 2:27 PM

That’s a little too much of a mass generalization for me.

donna January 12, 2009, 2:45 PM

8 years younger than you still means he’s 32 years old!!! if your 32 year old husband is still acting like he’s 18 then maybe YOU should have looked at that before you said “i do.” there is nothing wrong with younger men unless they are immature, which is what you should have focused on rather than bashing younger men. there are 40 year old men that still act like your husband and they are still single for a reason. stop complaining and move on.

Mandi January 12, 2009, 2:51 PM

My younger husband runs his own business, our family lives off his income entirely and he also helps around the house. He changes diapers, takes out the trash without being asked and does dishes. I married him when he was 22 and he’s been mature and responsible from day one ( I wouldn’t have married him otherwise).

It’s not the age. It’s the man.

Debbie January 12, 2009, 2:54 PM

You pick the wrong guy!! My husband who is 14 yrs younger than me is none of those! I’m curious how long you knew this guy before you married him? Like the pp said he makes me feel younger! And 26 steps try 3 flights of stairs with a 2.5 yr old and a 7 mth old. Plus my hubby is deployed in Iraq. Now what do have to complain about??

shay January 13, 2009, 7:09 AM

I dated a guy 9 years younger for awhile.After the obvious physical attraction began to fade…so did my attraction.I realized I like guys my own age much better.We grew up in the same generation and I enjoy that we can relate on so many issues.But hey, in this day and age if you find someone compatible with, age isn’t always the only issue.

Tina Reed January 13, 2009, 7:45 AM

I understand, I just got out of a relationship sorta the same but the guy was only 4 yrs younger than I. His BEER meant the world to him, and his little piece of land he owned with a camper on it, OH let’s not forget his friends always came first. Let’s just say he lives in his camper now!

Angie January 13, 2009, 12:16 PM

I have a younger man and he is not the description of above. It’s whom you pick!

Lisa January 13, 2009, 2:13 PM

Wow, doesn’t seem to me that you are really into this guy…younger or not!
Noone is perfect…we all realize that.
When you truly LOVE someone…we love them unconditionally and accept their faults…for they also will be accepting our faults. I personally have been with a younger man for almost 13 years now…and my love for him is still going strong!

Gigohead  January 14, 2009, 12:12 PM

I have two friends who are now with younger men. One who is 41 dates a 26 year old. The other who is 38 dates a 27 year old. All I hear is drama from these women. How insensitive their boyfriends are. yada yada I think they seem to forget, they are young..they are supposed to be able to make mistakes. That’s what youth is all about.

So I zone out now. I don’t want hear it anymore.

mire February 3, 2009, 2:55 PM

Young or old generally men need to be reminded about flowers and romance. Slip this url onto his desktop as a hint, hint… http://nonprofitshoppingmall.com/blog/

enjoy!

Anonymous March 28, 2009, 9:30 PM

You forgot to mention that a young man will always want a younger woman no matter how good you f*** him.

Cee Cee April 5, 2009, 3:02 AM

My wonderful husband is 7 years younger than me, and NOTHING like the scenarios you described. He’s an occasional drinker, extremely considerate around the house, and a filmmaker who enjoys Scorcese. I also don’t treat him as if he were stupid, as you seem to do with your husband. Maybe you should start there.

Me April 8, 2009, 10:51 PM

My husband is 13 years younger than me, and I couldn’t have wished for a better man. Maturity and love aren’t always related to age.

Anonymous May 18, 2009, 10:42 AM

My husband is 10 years younger then me. We have no issues and are very well balanced, in love and living an extraordinary life together. We are also expecting our first child (a little boy) at the end of the year. It’s not the age, it’s the person because age is nothing but a state of mind.

Lyl October 26, 2009, 2:23 PM

My husband is 11 years younger than me. (He’s 24, me 35). This is not how it is for us and we’ve been married a few years. You are generalizing based on your man’s personality and your own decision to accept the relationship in the first place, not on the actual reality of marrying young. I agree that there are possible problems, but communication usually fixes them.

Jen November 27, 2009, 4:10 PM

I’m about to marry my love who’s 12 years younger than me and he’s much more mature than most other men my age. Certainly, it’s not the age difference ‘mom-on-the-edge’ but the need for a reminder from time to time…

Jessie April 27, 2010, 12:28 PM

My husband is 11 years younger than me and my ex-husband is 5 years older than me. I wish I never had married my ex because I wasted 6 precious years of my life and my current husband at his 22 years of age is the most mature and amazing man I have ever met. You are generalizing and it isn’t fair to those men out there that truly break the mold. Your husband is immature not due to the age, but himself as a whole.