Obama's Mother-In-Law Moving to Washington

marianrobinson270.jpg

The President-Elect is not the only one making a big transition himself -- his daughters are getting adjusted to a new school, making new friends, and in just a matter of days will be moving into a really big house.

To help with their new life, Michelle Obama's mother, Marian Robinson, is also moving into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. The President-Elect's mother-in-law spent a lot of time taking care of the incoming first daughters while their parents were on the campaign trail the past two years.

Marian Robinson has been picking them up from school, making sure they did their homework, cooking dinner and getting the girls back home when Michelle returned from campaigning for the day. Transition officials did not say if this would be a permanent move, but Sasha and Malia's grandmother will be around for at least the next few months to help the girls get acclimated.

Would you want your mother-in-law moving in, no matter how helpful?

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

see more photos see more photos
Barack Obama Obama Family's Matching Style

next: Mom on a Mission
clara January 10, 2009, 10:49 AM

I really dont think the inlaws should be allowed to live at the White House

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 1:34 PM

I’d rather bring my mother in law in..someone who we can trust and loves my children than hire nannies! Good for them! Shows that they are close knit!

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 4:13 PM

WHY NOT

Andrea January 10, 2009, 4:16 PM

I feel the same way as anonymous.

noyd cooper January 10, 2009, 4:25 PM

The White House has a private residentul area for the first family, so i see no problem with her moving in.It’s much better than a nanny, and i’m glad their family structure is sound. That’s one of our nations problems, we’re lost that family bonding where two, three generations lived under one roof.To much me,me,me!

Michelle January 10, 2009, 4:33 PM

She is a part of their daily life. I’d rather have my Nana who loves me for me than someone who starts off being paid to take care of me.

Kerry January 10, 2009, 4:36 PM

I think it’s great. What with the newly needed secret service & white house staff in their lives now, having Grandma to come home to will soften the harsh reality of their new ‘glass house’ lives.

naoma holtmaan January 10, 2009, 4:44 PM

I agree with noyd cooper. Families need to come together again. We built our lives around family and it works.

sasha January 10, 2009, 5:02 PM

Good for them.

LDW January 10, 2009, 5:08 PM

its just insance for anyone to feel the inlaws should not be in the whitehouse. i think this comes from people who don’t have close families themselves and can’t see the value of bonding! get a life and applaud them for keeping their home normal for their girls!

Steph January 10, 2009, 5:09 PM

Why not? The Obama’s are moving ino the White House and if Grandma can help with the kids adjusment I don’t see a problem with that! I would rather have my Grandma around than some stranger. This is the deinition of a TRUE family.

Nikki January 10, 2009, 5:22 PM

We need to keep the girls around family environment. I think it is a wonderful ideal to do this. I love it.

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 5:29 PM

built in babysitter

riteon January 10, 2009, 6:31 PM

I’m sure she will be paid a handsome salary, at the expense of us, the taxpayer.

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 6:33 PM

as long as her expenses are covered by his salary and not the taxpayers!we have been abused by the political ins for too long already

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 7:17 PM

that’s wonderful

KAA January 10, 2009, 7:30 PM

I like the way your sure. How and why are you sure? And what about a nanny would he/she receive a ‘handsome salary’? and would that be okay. Some people or so synical! Get over it.

Blessed January 10, 2009, 7:32 PM

I think the idea of Nana moving in is Great! Even if she were to be paid, face it we would have had to pay for nannies for them anyway ~why not let it be someone we don’t have to spend the extra time background checking. As much as the President-elect will be facing soon and very soon, At least he can have more peace of mind in that area.

Me January 10, 2009, 7:40 PM

Well as long as they don’t pay her to babysit the girls. She is their grandmother and she shouldn’t get paid for spending time with them cause that’s what grandmothers do.

BLESSED DAUGHTER January 10, 2009, 7:41 PM

My eightythree year old father lives with me. So I say who better to help look after their daugthers than the grandmother since his grandmother raised him. I say to the first family elect,GOD BLESS all of you, just remember too stay close to each other.