Obama's Mother-In-Law Moving to Washington

marianrobinson270.jpg

The President-Elect is not the only one making a big transition himself -- his daughters are getting adjusted to a new school, making new friends, and in just a matter of days will be moving into a really big house.

To help with their new life, Michelle Obama's mother, Marian Robinson, is also moving into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. The President-Elect's mother-in-law spent a lot of time taking care of the incoming first daughters while their parents were on the campaign trail the past two years.

Marian Robinson has been picking them up from school, making sure they did their homework, cooking dinner and getting the girls back home when Michelle returned from campaigning for the day. Transition officials did not say if this would be a permanent move, but Sasha and Malia's grandmother will be around for at least the next few months to help the girls get acclimated.

Would you want your mother-in-law moving in, no matter how helpful?

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

see more photos see more photos
Barack Obama Obama Family's Matching Style

next: Mom on a Mission
Sandrewz McIntire January 10, 2009, 8:02 PM

I am glad that the Obama’s has included the grandmother in their move to the white
house. Because all of the family will need
each other for this move. I would like to thank the Obama’s for showing the nation what a true family is when you include the grandparents in their lives as well as the children. Some grandparents are left out of their children lives as well as their grandchildren. We are more than baby sitters. We are the extended parents
when needed for our grandchildren.

Karen January 10, 2009, 8:15 PM

I think its a great idea. Much less stress on the girls when Mom has to go out of town. Their grandmother will be a better choice than a nanny that they aren’t familiar with.

Clara January 10, 2009, 8:16 PM

This is great. We need to be surrounded by family. We know that the parents will not always be readily available every second to take care of the girls. I prefer grandma rather than some unknown person to the girls. They need support, comfort and love.

Hello From San Antonio January 10, 2009, 8:17 PM

I think it’s it’s much better than having a nanny. For the person who said she would be paid a handsome salary, no one said they were hiring her. For those that have a close family, we know that grandparents don’t get paid to help with the grandkids.

Whynot January 10, 2009, 8:18 PM

Very good idea. Not only does the girls need their grandmother. Michele needs a mother and a confidant.

Roland & Sylvia Manansala January 10, 2009, 8:21 PM

she must be paid, that’s hardwork

TeresaE January 10, 2009, 8:34 PM

If your company provided free housing for you and your in laws, you, and your in laws, would be taxed on the value as if it were wages.

I don’t care if she lives there or not, I do care that once again those that make the rules don’t have to abide by them.

artmenaldi January 10, 2009, 8:43 PM

great free labor ,that care he smart man
common sense,job idea not so good tax the sun not people ,it pay for countrytaxes and expensinve and sun wind free his program

is living on borrow money ,sun lifetime
WOUILD BELIKE HOOVER DAM SEEN EXPENSIVE BUT CHEAP HAVE LIFE TIME RETURN GO50/50
DONATE LAND AND PERMITT AND 4YEAR WONT NEED INCOME TAX ELECTRIC BILLPAY FOR COUNTREY AND YOU SEEWORLD GREATEST GROWTH NOINCOME TAX WITH FULLMEDICALBENFIT PAIFD BY THE SUN AND WIND!!!!!! THAT SMART DONT BAIL BANK DUMMOVE LOAN DIRECT THREWWSMALLBUINESS ASSOCIATION GET TO THE SHEPPARD NOT WOLF
THAT SMART
SUMMARY TAX SUN AND WIND 50/50 AND LOAN PEOPLE NOT BANK AND YOU WILLBESUCCESSFUL ANOTHE YOU BEDOT COMMON RICH LIVE OFFBORROWMONEY

Robert B January 10, 2009, 8:45 PM

I think it’s wonderful. My Grandmother was very instramental in my childhood. She was our family babysitter and my Brother and I were extremely grateful for having her around. GOD BLESS US WITH GRACE..(Her name).

artmenaldi January 10, 2009, 8:46 PM

GOOD NOW TAX SUN AND WIND NOT PEOPLE DONT LIVE OFF BORROW MONEY NOT GOOD BUISNESS SAVE IT UNLESS BRING RETURN

Tammy January 10, 2009, 8:48 PM

Yes she should be there for her grand daughters . She was there before they got to the white house so let it be the other grand parents that was there for their grand children was not talked about so get over it she has the right to be there. So for all of those writing talking about she suppose to do it your right but remember yes she should get “PAID” in full . Remember so call tax payers she have to live also and she should be living good:)Take your time to talk about how those people on walfare are getting over for not working she will be working.

Linda Redondo January 10, 2009, 8:49 PM

I think it is nice to see a grandmother who helps out and is close to the grandkids, but I think the mother should be the primary caregiver and greatest influence on her children when it is possible.

MaryAnnS January 10, 2009, 8:51 PM

I am impressed and touched by Obama’s decision to have Michelle’s mom live with them in the white house. It shows how closely knit their family are and that they don’t take their mom or parents for granted in the midst of their success. As the First Family, they are setting a good example worth emulating.Congratulations to the First Family. We will keep you in our prayers.

Lynda January 10, 2009, 8:53 PM

What a great choice for the girls. They have enough strange people around so having Nana should be a great source of comfort while they try to adjust to their new life.

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 8:53 PM

what a joke for more head lines whats next ??

Anonymous January 10, 2009, 8:55 PM

IT’S WONDERFUL A TRUE AMERICAN FAMILY GO GRANDMOM GOD BLESSED YOU AND KEEP YOU. ANGELA

Ally January 10, 2009, 8:57 PM

I think it’ll be great for the girls to have a little of their old life in their new one. I say kudos to the Obama family, it makes me more confident of the president elects views and how he’s going to run our beautiful country… yay :)

Linda January 10, 2009, 9:01 PM

I think it is great. She has been a very important part of the their lives. It works for them and it really should not be the concern of anyone else. We all do what works for us, at least I do.

Dennis Barker January 10, 2009, 9:12 PM

People of this country needs to realize we are in some deep stuff here and it is going to be a hard climb out of this mess we have got our selves into,I personally think we desperatly need to get Gods help back and work on some good old fashion values for this country,I really think we are morally bankrupt in this country,God bless us and good luck to us all.

stevo January 10, 2009, 9:14 PM

Are we going to have to foot the bill for her to? Is she paying herself to stay there?