Holy Moly! Octuplets Born in California

Yes, you heard right. A set of OCTUPLETS (that's eight babies, folks) has been born in Southern California.

Newborn babies

A woman has given birth to eight babies at a local hospital just south of Los Angeles. This is only the second time ever that a set of octuplets have been born alive. Dr. Karen Maples told TV station KCAL that the babies were born Monday at Kaiser Permanante in Bellflower and were "doing quite well."

The mother, who asked not to be identified, gave birth to six boys and two girls weighing between 1.8 pounds and 3.4 pounds yesterday starting at 10:43 AM. It took only five minutes to deliver all of the little ones. Two of the preemies were on a respirator last night, but now they are all breathing on their own. Maples said that doctors were hopeful the babies would all survive, but the first 72 hours are always the most critical time. "So we'll have to just pay attention for the next few days," she said. Dr. Maples says they were expecting seven babies, and were shocked to find another one during delivery. "My eyes got to be the size of saucers,"  she told the LA Times. "We just went on and delivered the babies." Maples said there were 46 people involved in the deliveries.

Dr. Harold Henry told KCAL that "they were all screaming and kicking around very vigorously." The hospital tells us that the babies -- delivered by Caesarian section -- are being called baby A - H until they are named by their parents. "The orchestrated delivery went off without a hitch," said Dr. Henry, adding that doctors and staff practiced two dry runs ahead of time.  "We planned well and it was well executed," he said.

The mother will be released from the hospital in two weeks, but the babies will need to be hospitalized for at least the next two months. While there, they will be fed expressed breast milk through a tube. (Yes, that means for now the mother will technically be breast-feeding EIGHT BABIES.) Dr. Maples said the babies are about nine weeks premature. The mother was 30 1/2 weeks into her pregnancy.

In 1998, the first known set of octuplets born in the United States arrived. The six girls and two boys were born in Houston. One of the babies later died. The others survived and recently celebrated their 10th birthdays.

next: Gov. Rod Blagojevich Considered Oprah Winfrey for Senator
Wendi January 26, 2009, 9:00 PM

Congrats to the new parents. I hope they get lots of help, they will need it. I must say I am glad that it is not me :)that had that many.

sandy January 26, 2009, 10:44 PM

ill take 2 of them, if you cant handle all of them,lol, good luck and god bless,prayer,s galore! to all.

Laura January 26, 2009, 11:22 PM

I just hope that all babies survive and are healthy. These parents are going to have a really tough time at first, when they are all home and needing changing and feeding, but I’m sure they hav a great support system, and I wish them the best!!!

rebba January 27, 2009, 8:16 AM

I saw that.So many prayers and best wishes to her.Im new here today by the way,hoping to enjoy this new site.

rebba January 27, 2009, 8:17 AM

I saw this many prayers and blessing to them and their mom.Im new here today on twitter,hoping to enjoy this new site.

rebba January 27, 2009, 8:18 AM

OOps I thought the fist one didnt post,LOL.

PAMELIAH January 27, 2009, 8:32 AM

congrats for sure and praise our Lord and Savior for allowing a safe arrival for all those babies.My prayers for all the babies and for the parents too

anonymous January 27, 2009, 10:23 AM

My goodness, that is a lot of babies at one time. My best to the family!!!

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:56 AM

Here comes another TLC reality show.

ppatt January 27, 2009, 3:15 PM

You have been blessed!
always keep GOD at the head of everything you do, for all of them will continue to be blessed. Be sure to teach your little ones about their mighty Savior. Though they may stray when they are older,they’ll find their way back.

WILDWONDERFUL January 27, 2009, 3:21 PM

Is anybody awake here? I am not against the children. What I am against is the entitlement attitude of these parents.

Elizabeth Kelley January 27, 2009, 5:26 PM

Congratulations and God Bless. You should name the children with the first letters of A-H!

Annoyed, I mean Annonymous January 27, 2009, 8:22 PM

Why are you people thanking God and praying for these people?!? Giving birth to eight babies naturally is extremely RARE, so they obviously had fertility treatments. Which means that GOD did not intend for these people to have childern in the first place. They’ll get what’s coming to them…

grammapamelalee January 28, 2009, 12:26 AM

I sure hope that there are grandparents in their precious lives. My Daughter was only 19 when she blessed us with fraternal twins, girl and boy. My husband got to be a terrific influence in their lives. Then my son’s wife had a baby girl. My husband passed away at the very young age of only 51, the twins will be 16 in March, and the little girl now 10. My Daughter who had the twins she also now has a son who will be 7 in March. My Daughter is Dying, she suffers from severe LUPUS, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, and HEART problems, she needs a HEART PACEMAKER, I am glad that her Father is not here to see her suffer. I am so happy that he had the chance to be a Grandfather twice before he passed away. Children are so precious, they are lent to us by GOD. To that person who so callously stated that God did not mean for the mom of the octuplets to give birth, NOT SO if GOD did not want her to have them they would not have survived, but joyfully, they have, and God bless them all.

beeblessed January 28, 2009, 3:05 PM

God bless you and family I pray that you have alot of help i am a grandmother of two and they are a hand full they ajoy this is whe God people will step in and help you out your church family God bless beblessed

irresponsible January 29, 2009, 3:31 AM

this is a very irresponsible exploitation of technology. we have to draw the line somewhere, medical technology should be used to treat and prevent illness and improve our standard of living. IVF should be banned and all you dummies who can’t bear children naturally should take a hint, you’re not fit to reproduce! you can thank your god for it too.

Ruth January 31, 2009, 5:17 PM

This is going to the one named “annoyed”. Just because they ‘may’ have taken fertility pills doesn’t mean that god didn’t want her to have them. Do you really think God would allow her to have 8 miricale’s if he didn’t want it to happen. Think about it before you post something on here and make a fool out of yourself. And to the mother, I’m soo happy for you! It will be life changing but I wish you and the lil ones the best of luck . GOD BLESS ALL 10 IN YOUR FAMILY!

Anonymous January 31, 2009, 9:23 PM

ARE U PEOPLE SERIOUS? A LAZY WOMAN , WITH 6 KIDS SHE CANT EVEN TAKE CARE OF HERSELF, NO JOB, LIVING OFF HER PARENTS, WELFARE, AND OUR TAX MONEY, WHO WILL BE SUCKING UP ALL THE FREE STUFF SOME IDIOTS WILL BE REWARDING HER WITH, NOW HAS 14 OR 15 KIDS AND , WILL BE SITTING ON HER REAR WHILE THE NANNYS ,AND SOCIAL SERVICES WILL BE THE ONES TAKING CARE OF THE KIDS NEEDS. SHE WILL BE OFF GETTING MORE EGGS IMPLANTED.
DONT ENABLE THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR, SHE NOT DONE YET, SHES GOING FOR A NEW WORLD RECORD .WHY NOT EVERYTHINGS PAID FOR. NEW HOUSE AND 15 BEDROOMS…NO PROBLEM FOR THIS FAMILY.

dave February 1, 2009, 11:32 AM

Ruth - You aren’t following the story close enough, they aren’t a family of 10, there is no father in the picture. She will be a single mother of 14 kids!!
Relying on her family to help her, they are not happy either. This is definitley not fair to the CHILDREN. What kind of chance will these kids have? Will be very interesting to see in 25-30 years how they all come out in life.

These are now societies children, because there is no way she feeds them, clothes them and educates them with out help from all the rest of us that pay taxes.

God help us all.

Sandy February 1, 2009, 3:02 PM

She should not to be congrat with the newborn baby,i mean for the baby ,yes ,but not the mother she is JERK ,and since her mother and father its from Palestian and MUSLIM so is she ,just send them back to their country. And maybe there are bad people you know TERRORIST . SEND THEM BACK WITH ALL THE 6 KIDS AND THE BABBIES, THEY SHOULD NOT BE HERE IF THEY NOT HELP US FOR PAYING TAXES. MUSLIM ALWAYS THE TROBLE MAKER.