I Wish the Octuplets Weren't Born in California

Yesterday, 46 doctors, nurses and assistants delivered a set of octuplets by Caesarean section. Although all babies were miraculously born alive, which is wonderful, I less than thrilled they were birthed here in my home state of California. We're already bankrupt enough!

woman showing empty pocket

Guest Blogger Samantha: Yes, it's a miracle the octuplets were born happy and healthy, and I hope they stay that way.

But I just wish I wasn't footing the bill!

The babies were born in my home state of California. In case you haven't heard, we're going bankrupt.

We've been told that instead of state income tax returns, we'll likely instead receive a "registered warrant." Translation: an IOU.

California's Controller John Chiang warns that by the end of February, the nation's most populous state may not be able to pay some of its debts, and instead be reduced to issuing those creditors IOUs.

So who foots the bill for the octuplets? We all do!

Mark Perloe, MD and E. Scott Sills, MD, of the Atlanta Reproductive Health Center,
say that no one likes to count pennies when it comes to health care, especially for premature babies, but these multiple births are accompanied by huge expenses. Doctors caring for the octuplets born in Houston in 1998 estimated the babies' care cost at least $2 million (about $250,000 per infant) before they even went home. Add the likely expenses for providing ongoing medical care after the babies left the hospital, and the cost quickly soared into the millions.

Regarding the ballooning cost of multiple births, there's no free ride, according to Dr. Perloe and Dr. Sills. All of us will pay for this medical care. As a result, insurance companies could deny coverage for aggressive fertility treatments or raise everyone else's insurance premiums.

We don't know if the parents of the octuplets will or will not take federal aid. But if they do, that means every tax payer helps pay for this multiple birth. And those of us in California can't afford one more mouth to feed!

Do you think it's financially irresponsible to have eight babies, especially in this economy? Comment below.

Anonymous January 31, 2009, 11:25 AM

It’s doubtful that these octuplets are going to break the bank in California. You’re barking up the wrong tree completely here.

lavone January 31, 2009, 11:55 AM

14 children, no husband, no money, I am worried about a doctor that would not check these facts. Who paid for invetro? I am not judging this woman, just worried about the kind of life 14 children will have in a small house, no money and whose parents have already lost their home taking care of her.

Irritated January 31, 2009, 12:58 PM

Yeah, Anon? That bank in California? IT’S ALREADY BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I totally agree with the people questioning her sanity. She is obviously selfish, irresponsible and potentially mentally ill. No doubt.

mary January 31, 2009, 2:15 PM

This blog enrages me ! This woman did have a litter, and she already had a brood at home..Her parents home I should say. He mother said “she wont be there when she gets home from the hospital” and that she and her husband had been supporting her and her six kids alread to the point of bankruptcy. According to the grandmother, the mother has been obsessed with having babies since she was in her teens…Well wonder how obsessed she would be if she had to carry ALL the financial responsibilty without our tax money to support her. I came from a family of eight, the last pregnancy mom had was twins…My dad said “when they start coming in twos it’s time to stop”.
He provided for his family and didnt have to depend on public help or being a burden on our grandparents…Its called being responsible for your actions. Our tax dollars go to multi layer stupid acts just like this…

ME January 31, 2009, 3:08 PM

Heres a thought for all of you out there that think some of us are being too hard on this woman for having fourteen kinds under the age of 7 with no husband and depending on her parents to support her to the point of their bankruptcy…Why dont you all get together and sponsor all fourteen of the children and support them directly out of YOUR pockets, you pay directly for their housing, food, clothing, medical and education til they are own their own. and BTW you should give her congrats on her abililty to crank out babies like a dog having a litter of pups every time you pay your sponsorship directly out of your pockets. How many of you would be willing to sign up for that ?

R January 31, 2009, 3:17 PM

Spay this woman and castrate the fertility Doctor…

SesshoumarusGirl January 31, 2009, 4:03 PM

Anyone else here doubtful that she will keep custody of her kids? Not saying that should happen, but I have serious concerns about ALL 14 childern, in regards to their welfare.

William January 31, 2009, 5:24 PM

This lady declared bankrupcy a little more than a year ago, and she already has six children (which she obviously can’t afford to raise properly). Why would she even have one more, let alone eight. She just wants to spread her bloodline as far as she can without and sense of the consequences. These kids will not end up in the middle class. They’re doomed and they will be a drain on society.

rachel January 31, 2009, 10:38 PM

This woman is irresponsible and sick in the head. Send her to Iraq with her father and let THEM pay for the kids over there.

rachel January 31, 2009, 11:08 PM

AMEN. 14 kids are only a blessing if a family can AFFORD them. They can’t…so now they will be a BURDEN on society. All of you who think this lady did a good thing, how about they all come live with YOU and YOU can feed and clothe and educate them. NO??? But you want us in California to support them when we are going bankrupt ourselves? She is irresponsible and so are you hypocrites.

liela February 1, 2009, 12:32 AM

Yes, we do pay for it. I have one child, and pay Kaiser $600.00 per month in premiums. I make responsible choices and rarely need Kaiser’s services. I’m pretty angry that I’m paying for this woman’s irresponsibility. Sorry, she already has 6 kids. I shouldn’t have to pay for her hoarding behavior. If she wants more kids, she should pay all the medical costs out of pocket.

gail biondi February 1, 2009, 7:22 AM

you californians deserve her. land of the tree hugging liberal bean sprouting morons. and when you fools fall into the pacific with the next big one I’ll be the proud and happy owner of beachfront propert in nevada.

Danny February 1, 2009, 7:25 AM

Why should American taxpayers have to pay for all these babies? The tax system is upside down. The more dependents you have the higher your taxes should be because you use more of the government services. This would change some of the spawning thats going on. Instead of sending Calif. taxpayers IOU’s send them a baby. Looks like there are plenty to go around.

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 7:47 AM

I live in Whittier and know the mother of these 8 babies. She already had 6 children and is getting state aid for those kids. We all have to pay for that. Now she will more than double her state aid paycheck. We will also pay for that. She is also a single mother. I am very grateful these new babies are all healthy. However, is it fair to put the burdon on the tax payers of our state? I only had 2 children because that was all I could afford. What happened to being responsible?

db February 1, 2009, 8:00 AM

Have as many as you can care for yourself.
Do NOT expect the rest of society to foot
the bill. I am one of a dozen children, &
my parents did it all themselves; beautifully, I might add!

DON February 1, 2009, 9:26 AM

FIRST THERE ARE NO PARENTS, JUST A PARENT, MOM. SINGLE, UNEMPLOYED,LIVING WITH HER MOM AND DAD. DAD IS GOING TO HAVE TO GET A JOB IN IRAQ TO GET SOME MONEY TO HELP SUPPORT HER AND 14 CHILDREN. THEY ARE NOT RICH, THE PARENTS HAVE ALREADY LOST THEIR HOUSE SUPPORTING HER AND 6 CHILDREN AND HAD TO MOVE IN WITH HER IN THE HOUSE THEY GOT FOR HER. DOES ANYONE READING THESE POSTS THINK THAT 17 PEOPLE CAN LIVE IN ONE HOUSE. MAYBE THAT HOUSE MAKEOVER SHOW OR OPRAH WILL BUILD THEM A NEW HOUSE FOR FREE IF THEY COME ON THE SHOW. AT LEAST SHE WILL NEVER HAVE TO PAY ANY INCOME TAX. OH WAIT, SHE IS UNEMPLOYED SO SHE HAS NO INCOME. POOR DAD HAS TO GO BACK TO WAR TORN IRAQ TO GET SOME MONEY TO SUPPORT 17 PEOPLE. MAYBE DAD JUST WANTS TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. I JUST PRAY THAT THE CHILDREN WILL BE FINE AND THAT THE COMMUNITY STEPS IN TO HELP. THEY WILL NEED ALL THE HELP THAT THEY CAN GET

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 9:27 AM

this is to jb
if you were one of eight born at one time, then yes, it is irresponsible to give birth to you. Especially if you had 6 siblings and this new pregnancy was as a result of invitro fertilization, not by becoming pregnant the way God intended it.

tommyt February 1, 2009, 9:27 AM

i dont think anyone in their right mind would agree that 14 children in a two bedroom home is a cozy scene. while i agree no one has the right to tell another how many children they should have, i also feel a parent has a responsibility to be able to care for their children, and i have serious doubts about this womans capability to do so.

Robert February 1, 2009, 9:31 AM

Wow 8 little bundles of joy. All made in Gods image. I would love to help these babies. I would love to see that they are being taken care of. You people that are upset about this should be ashamed. These little cuties didn’t hurt anybody. These little cuties won’t interfere with your lifestyle. So just shut up and enjoy this miracle

josie February 1, 2009, 9:36 AM

Yes but back then people were married and loved their kids…I think it is just plain stupid what she did, she knew she would never have to work a day in her life again…not that she ever did