I Wish the Octuplets Weren't Born in California

Yesterday, 46 doctors, nurses and assistants delivered a set of octuplets by Caesarean section. Although all babies were miraculously born alive, which is wonderful, I less than thrilled they were birthed here in my home state of California. We're already bankrupt enough!

woman showing empty pocket

Guest Blogger Samantha: Yes, it's a miracle the octuplets were born happy and healthy, and I hope they stay that way.

But I just wish I wasn't footing the bill!

The babies were born in my home state of California. In case you haven't heard, we're going bankrupt.

We've been told that instead of state income tax returns, we'll likely instead receive a "registered warrant." Translation: an IOU.

California's Controller John Chiang warns that by the end of February, the nation's most populous state may not be able to pay some of its debts, and instead be reduced to issuing those creditors IOUs.

So who foots the bill for the octuplets? We all do!

Mark Perloe, MD and E. Scott Sills, MD, of the Atlanta Reproductive Health Center,
say that no one likes to count pennies when it comes to health care, especially for premature babies, but these multiple births are accompanied by huge expenses. Doctors caring for the octuplets born in Houston in 1998 estimated the babies' care cost at least $2 million (about $250,000 per infant) before they even went home. Add the likely expenses for providing ongoing medical care after the babies left the hospital, and the cost quickly soared into the millions.

Regarding the ballooning cost of multiple births, there's no free ride, according to Dr. Perloe and Dr. Sills. All of us will pay for this medical care. As a result, insurance companies could deny coverage for aggressive fertility treatments or raise everyone else's insurance premiums.

We don't know if the parents of the octuplets will or will not take federal aid. But if they do, that means every tax payer helps pay for this multiple birth. And those of us in California can't afford one more mouth to feed!

Do you think it's financially irresponsible to have eight babies, especially in this economy? Comment below.

Joseph February 1, 2009, 12:31 PM

This woman should have an intense mental examination. Four children are more than enough for any woman to educate and raise, much less an uneducated, unmarried woman. Why on earth would she take fertility drugs with their known likelyhood of producing multiple births to produce more, when she should have been putting her time and effort into raising the ones she already was blessed with. No congratulations to her from me, only condemnation for being a self centered egotistic jerk.

How dare she send her father back to work, especially in a dangerous place like Iraq at his age to support her sick ego. So you produced 14 children that will all be on welfare before they can start school. Pigs have that many offspring people shouldn’t.

If I were her dad I’d say “Tough cookie snookie. Your on your own now. You blew it.”

No More kids February 1, 2009, 12:38 PM

No more liters of “babies”. This liter mom should be sent back to wherever she came from. I’m tired of all the illegals coming here and getting free medical care, free schooling, food, housing, etc.! They can go to college free when the citizens cannot. When a illegal drops a baby in the US she should be shipped back and the “baby” should not be counted as a US citizen!!

No More Kids February 1, 2009, 12:44 PM

This “Liter” mom should have to pay back every cent of all the welfare money, medical care money, and foodstamps, and any other free money that the State of California has ever given her! This abuse of our money has to stop. I don’t care if “she” has 14 children - make her work at a job to pay back all the money!

Jeanette February 1, 2009, 1:00 PM

Here’s the problem. NO you DO NOT have the right to have kids if YOU can’t support them. This completely makes me ill. Talk about irresponsibility. But that’s how things are in this country now. It’s all about ME ME ME and to hell with personal responsibility. I’m sorry, but there should be regulations on having kids… no job, no kids. Start taking some responsibility for your lives and we will all be better off.

SesshoumarusGirl February 1, 2009, 1:01 PM

I watch some coverage on Fox last night and apparently her family have areadly met with Oprah’s rep and are EXPECTING cash to the tune of 2 MILLION “because they need it to care for the kids!”

OMFG! You breed like rabbits and EXPECT the public to bear it! Screw it, I say take away ALL the kids and put them in loving homes THAT ACTUALLY WANT THEM. Instead of this unstable nut who just wants them as a cash cow. If O or TLC “glorify” this I’ll puke.

Why did her parents ruin themselves financially, just to allow her to “fill her belly?”

This is getting sicker by the day!

Layla Stryker February 1, 2009, 1:26 PM

You both are dumbasses, JB and mommy1. Wild is right.

She had FROZEN EMBRYOS IMPLANTED INTO HER.

NO DOCTOR in the states, or any civilized country would do that, simply because of the death risk to mother and fetus.

I will not foot the bill for this woman, go back to iraq.

Kristen February 1, 2009, 1:32 PM

I do not think this blogger is wrong at all. I do not care if you have 20 kids but do not expect the state to take care of them. My parents chose to have my brother and I and keep us alive but they did it on their own and did not ask for any type of help from the state.

No More Kids February 1, 2009, 1:42 PM

If the public refuses to watch Operah or any other show that shows these “Liter” babies or “Liter” mom, then she will not get more money from her welfare brood. I say everyone write these shows and protest the airing of these shows. Also don’t watch anything about these “Trash” “Welfare” “Liter” babies or their trash mother! I will never watch Operah again.

what the February 1, 2009, 1:46 PM

What the.., says: I believe the current story is that the Octo’s were a product of a sperm donor. These children are less likely to have jobs, education, or any normal consistency, and are likely to included in a possible family of 2, 4, or 12 more children in approx. 2-4 years making the family grow to the size of 16, or 18, or 26 in that time to a single parent due to sperm donation. Speaking of sperm donation, is one donor or 8 donors, who is this lucky boy donor, does he know he is the father of eight, does he have other children, who might fall in love with a unknown sibling. Children deserve more than just life!!! They deserve family, continuity, opportunies, and heritage. Children are people with desires, and needs that are supported by family. Hello maury!!! I know it is horrible to say but these children should be adopted by responsible people. Childless “COUPLES” who can handle and afford the tremendous emotional turmoil these children face in the future as the woman will continue to get pregnant again in a short time. Now why did the grandparents allow her to have fertilly treatments? when a tubal ligation was need. Oh and by the way welfare does not give money for over 10 children and the other 4 are just hanging financially. Then there is transportation for the 14, I would be pissed if any car company gave her a bike much less a van. The grand mother is leaving when the mother comes home, but now is not the time to leave, granny should have gotten the mother a tubal ligation first. The doctor should be found and tarred and feather, then lose his license, and the donor should pay for the hospital bills that we and CA have to pay. I can’t afford glasses and she gets 42 doctors, Maybe I should get that doctor and have 8 babies, so what if I am over 50.

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 1:50 PM

What is wrong with people? Yes children ARE a blessing. They are intended to be a blessing for a MARRIED MOTHER and FATHER who are financially able to provide for their offspring. Yes, in mulptiple birth situations, extra help is needed. That help should come from family, friends, and the faith based community; not the taxpayers. Furthermore, any addiction is dangerous; whether it be drugs, gambling, or a PREGNANCY/BABY addiction. This individual needed psychological counseling; not fertility counseling.

Jackie  February 1, 2009, 1:56 PM

I doubt very seriously that the mom or any of her children will ever give back to society. All they will know is how to lie and take advantage of the system just like their mother. She has no business having so many children when she can’t support herself and the children she already had. Then she thought she would have a litter like animals. It would have been one thing if she had naturally conceived these children then someone could actually say “miracle” when discussing this matter. Otherwise she is a nuisance to society.

MKM February 1, 2009, 2:02 PM

Dear Anonymous,

Bearing children is not a right, it is a privilege and with any privelege you have to take the personal responsibility for that. If you cannot afford to take care of children at the time you have them, you should not be having them. Anything can happen along the way to any one of us, but it is irresponsible to knowingly have a child when you know you cannot possibly provide the basic care for that child and you just go blindly on expecting everyone else to foot the bill.
MKM - PARENT OF ONE

Chali February 1, 2009, 2:09 PM

try 1967 when they were preaching “have 2, then get sterlized” we are running out of space and air and ways and means to feed the plus populace. My sister did her part, had her 2 then got a copper IUD. Well, unbeknownst to her, she had a metal allergy, to every metal except gold, and she has to ware it loosely or will get blisters. Well, she went to get innoculated to go to Africa w/ her husband to put in water-well installations. She found out she had paratinitous from her bottom to her lungs and was almost dead. She was saved in time but had to have a massive hysterectomy (sp?). Later in life, when her boys were about to puberty, she lemented she wanted to have a girl child. She was SORRY for listening to teachers and college educated persons that said: “Have 2, then quit”. My sibs. were only 5 kids (that is more than enough) Dad had a good job and was an excellent provider. I was taught NOT to be a burden to society. If this woman dosen’t have the “means” to take care of all those children, she shouldn’t have had them.

Chali February 1, 2009, 2:14 PM

p.s. I hope they “fixed” her so she can’t have any more litters.

William February 1, 2009, 2:16 PM

These people are trying to overpopulate the country with their race and playing a cruel joke on all of us responsible people. They seem to think that their race is the chosen one, and they will continue to spread until the’ve conquered the world. No, I mean, until they’ve destroyed the world. We’ve become victims of our own political correctness, and they’ve preyed on that. It’s time to get tough on these pendejos.

sharon February 1, 2009, 2:22 PM

Well Beth the 1990 babies that were born ,they had a mommy and a daddy and didn’t have 6 more at home.And do we know if they are US Citizens,, So of course the State will have to pay for them..I can’t for the life of me understand why on earth if she already had 6 ,Why have more.I do think there must be something wrong with her,Mently..Sharon from Maryland

No More Kids February 1, 2009, 2:34 PM

Do not support this “Liter” mom! Don’t watch Oprah or any other show that she is on. I for one will never watch Oprah again. If the public doesn’t support these shows then they will go off the air. What a welcome change. This “Liter” mom should be booted out of this country, but still should be made to pay back every welfare dollar that California or any other state or US government services has given to her!
This “Liter” disgusting “trash” mom is disgusting!

what the February 1, 2009, 2:45 PM

What the says: The state of California should take a stance and not give this woman a penny. It was a purposeful act to father children without a father, or benefit of relationship. Children should all given to responsible childless couples. She should have to pay for the hospital bill. We all should write to our government and los Angeles welfare office and force them to say no. We should not just blog but bombard the governors office with “Hell No we won’t pay” and not do business with any company that assist her with any freebies. Let all know we are appalled at this situation. We as community need to take action. We should our voice to make this woman responsible. Say it People “HELL NO WE WON”T PAY”

No More Kids February 1, 2009, 3:05 PM

The grandmother of this “Liter” mom should be trashed too. She and her husband have supported this women and her 6 kids all these years. It would serve them right if they were punished for supporting this “Trash” “Liter” mom! Send them all back to their country! I get sick just looking at the grandfather on the news. We should protest the tv stations that even show anything on this “TRASH” family.

No More Kids February 1, 2009, 3:11 PM

Our welfare system should be fixed. If you are on welfare and have more than one child then you should not get anymore money than for that one child. You should also be cut off after six months - no more benefits - period. Also our tax system should be that if you have more than 2 children then you do not get anymore write offs or tax credits. Our system encourages people to have too many children. We all have to pay for these “children” and their parents or parent. No more!