Octuplets Mom Has SIX Other Kids -- No Dad?

OMG ... CBS News has learned the mother who gave birth to the octuplets has SIX other children! And there's still no mention of Dad!

Newborn babies

Doctors say the octuplets born Monday outside Los Angeles are doing well.

But when they go home, it will be to a truly full house.

CBS News has learned the mother who gave birth to the octuplets has six other children.

An acquaintance who didn't want to be identified told Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman the mom has four older boys and two girls.

"She is young," the acquaintance says, "fairly young. She has six children already. And in those six children, she has a set of twins."

While the hospital where the octuplets were born, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in Bellflower, Calif., some 17 miles southeast of L.A., hasn't confirmed that the mom used fertility drugs, there are no documented cases of naturally conceived octuplets, Kauffman points out.

Doctors say the babies are all breathing on their own. But all weigh less than four pounds and are expected to remain in the hospital for weeks.

The woman and her children live in a tiny house on a cul-de-sac with her parents. Yes, WITH HER PARENTS!

A man who came to the door of the family home confirmed to Kauffman that he's the grandfather of the octuplets, but refused to speak to her.

"From what you know about this family, and this household, do you think they'll be able to support 14 kids?" Kauffman asked the acquaintance.

"Well," she responded, "so far, they've been fine with the six they have. Fourteen, I don't know."

Kauffman says the neighborhood has homes with just two or three bedrooms.

"It will,"  Kauffman concluded, "be tight!"

OMG ... can you even imagine? And still no mention of a dad. Is the octuplet mom a single mother? We will bring you more details as this story develops.

next: Valentine's Dinner ... at White Castle
anony January 29, 2009, 10:29 AM

“As the story develops” ??? Really MomLogic? Don’t you mean as nosey reporters dig up as much personal information on this family as they possibly can??? Clearly this family wants to be left alone, at least for now. How about all you ‘reporters’ (and I use that term VERY loosely) leave them alone and let them live their lives. Then when they are ready for their 15 mins of fame or relentless interviews or a tv show I’m sure they will find a way to contact the media.

Jen January 29, 2009, 10:35 AM

This mom must be crazy!

redmum January 29, 2009, 10:51 AM

Yet another post seething with judgement,
Good luck to this woman, with that many children she’ll need it - what she doesn’t need is more sh*te like this.

Jill January 29, 2009, 11:18 AM

Incredibly irresponsible from this mother… six kids already and another eight kids!

anon January 29, 2009, 11:25 AM

Please people, this is a blog not CNN. If you arent interested in how these stories are presented then don’t click on this page. Its really that simple.

As for the 8 babies, I really dont know how they could be conceived naturally. I also dont know how or why a mother of 6 that lives in a tiny home with her parents would want/or could afford fertility treatments.

-chedder January 29, 2009, 11:32 AM

This planet doesn’t need eight more kids. Oh that’s right, she’ll get a TV show, $ for baby pics, an appearance on AM show. As a mom, it’s sick. Why? How do the older kids feel? Who’s paying?

anon January 29, 2009, 12:45 PM

Surrogate.

LHP January 29, 2009, 1:23 PM

IF THIS WOMAN USED FERTILITY DRUGS, THERE SHOULD TRULY BE AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE DOCTORS. THIS WOMAN COULDN’T TAKE CARE OF THE 6 SHE HAD PREVIOUSLY (SHE’S LIVING WITH HER PARENTS)AND NOW SHE HAS 8 MORE TO FEED CLOTH AND SCHOOL….LIKELY ALOT OF THEM WILL END IN PRISON EVENTUALLY.

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 2:08 PM

This is really a good reason for why you should use birth control. It may be a miracle birth

Nancy January 29, 2009, 3:04 PM

Is she trying to start her own city? I can see taking fertility drugs if you only have a couple of kids or none at all but this woman is a nut. Let’s hope her 14 kids don’t take fertility drugs! No wonder we are over populated!

Reality Check January 29, 2009, 3:08 PM

My honest opinion is that is if my tax dollars do not go to the support of these children it really isn’t any of my business. I can’t shake the feeling that this was done on purpose though. We see all the time how unique families make big bucks from the media. The best thing would be for everyone to ignore this family and make them fend for themselves. They got themselves into this situation now let them figure out how to support and care for all these kids themselves. Maybe it would send a message to anyone else who is planning on taking this path and thinking how tey can cash in on it.

This situation sets an example of why welfare should be capped on the number of dependents who qualify in a household.

I’m just say’in!

A Damn Shame January 29, 2009, 4:17 PM

U guys ever think that maybe she was lonley and needed some company or maybe what she was doing was sneaking in her friends cabinet and thought she was steeling her oxycotton but as it turns out she was steel her fertility pills welp!! ain’t no denying it now she stuck and daddy disappeared when he seen how many kids she had. welp!! best wishes to her and her tribe called kids may god be with her. wait oh my goodness how does she maintain sanity and i’m a single parent of three and my kids drive me up the wall MY THREE DRIVES ME UP THE WALL!!!!

LoveMyKids January 29, 2009, 5:38 PM

Has anyone ever thought that maybe this woman was once with the father of these kids and they split up, causing her to move in with her parents?
Nobody knows what happened, therefore, how can any of you judge? I’m sure most of you have been in sticky situations before, and probably shouldn’t be pointing your dirty fingers. Shame on you.

disgusting little rats January 29, 2009, 7:53 PM

This woman is a wh*re. I agree with above poster that most of her little rats will end up in prison or living off welfare for life. what a shame.

Lea January 29, 2009, 8:09 PM

Great more kids to be on state assistance. The mom is actually very young too and lives with her parents. The doctor who gave this woman fertility drugs and then helped her get pregnant should have his license taken away. How much do you want to bet that this nut was obsessed with having mutiples. Something needs to be done here. If she cannot take care of her 6 kids there is no way that she can take care of 14. This actually disgusts me!!!!!!!

anon January 29, 2009, 9:26 PM

I’d rather be the parents of this woman than Cindi or George Anthony anyday. Eight babies may be hard to deal with for a few years but once they get older they bring a lot of joy. I only have 1 sister and my parents never kept in touch with our extended family so my whole world growing up was mom, dad, and sis. Sometimes it was unbelieveble boring, and my sis and I would fight all the time. I was a lonely kid. Even if this family struggles financially, they will be wealthy with each others company and love, that’s priceless. Casey Anthony savagely snuffed out the life of her defenseless only child, but this brave woman has given life to 14 children. Whether it was a moral or financially irresponsible decision is not for us to decide. I say good luck to her and those little angels.

Chrissy January 30, 2009, 1:25 AM

Why does a “young” women with six kids already need ferility drugs. She proven to be very fertile.
Sorry, anon - it is our business because sooner or later, we as a society will be paying the cost of 14 kids being raised by a young, single parent.

jac January 30, 2009, 4:29 AM

more children for the tax payers in calif to pay for. there must be some form of control with fertility treatments she already had 6 children was she tring to cash in on the freebies? or the realty show business? no one can raise that many children in a small home it is not healthy. is she waiting for someone to give her a new one? i hope the generous business’es and generous people really thing this over.

Laurie  January 30, 2009, 8:50 AM

As a Mom to 5 kids With an involved husband i find this sickening. I KNOW how much time and attention children take, i know how hard it is to fulfill their needs…yikes…this is a disaster all around. 14 kids?? No money?? No dad??? How could this end up well?? No mention of kids with special needs but where there are 14 kids there are special needs…

Su January 30, 2009, 9:18 AM

A Single Mom evidently…another welfare client…we all end up paying in the end for these situations and we had to do it ourselves without help. For all of you though complaining about your kids…take a step back a minute and be lucky. I lost my 17 year old 9 years ago in a car accident and I would give the World to have her make me crazy again…..