Octuplets Mom Has SIX Other Kids -- No Dad?

OMG ... CBS News has learned the mother who gave birth to the octuplets has SIX other children! And there's still no mention of Dad!

Newborn babies

Doctors say the octuplets born Monday outside Los Angeles are doing well.

But when they go home, it will be to a truly full house.

CBS News has learned the mother who gave birth to the octuplets has six other children.

An acquaintance who didn't want to be identified told Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman the mom has four older boys and two girls.

"She is young," the acquaintance says, "fairly young. She has six children already. And in those six children, she has a set of twins."

While the hospital where the octuplets were born, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in Bellflower, Calif., some 17 miles southeast of L.A., hasn't confirmed that the mom used fertility drugs, there are no documented cases of naturally conceived octuplets, Kauffman points out.

Doctors say the babies are all breathing on their own. But all weigh less than four pounds and are expected to remain in the hospital for weeks.

The woman and her children live in a tiny house on a cul-de-sac with her parents. Yes, WITH HER PARENTS!

A man who came to the door of the family home confirmed to Kauffman that he's the grandfather of the octuplets, but refused to speak to her.

"From what you know about this family, and this household, do you think they'll be able to support 14 kids?" Kauffman asked the acquaintance.

"Well," she responded, "so far, they've been fine with the six they have. Fourteen, I don't know."

Kauffman says the neighborhood has homes with just two or three bedrooms.

"It will," Kauffman concluded, "be tight!"

OMG ... can you even imagine? And still no mention of a dad. Is the octuplet mom a single mother? We will bring you more details as this story develops.

next: Valentine's Dinner ... at White Castle
redmac January 30, 2009, 1:37 PM

I can’t afford myself in this world today, how can any single mother afford all these kids? who is going to pay for them, the hospital, the tax payers? How do i get this kind of treatment for my and mine?

Jill January 30, 2009, 1:42 PM

I have tried and tried, but I just cannot wrap my mind around a motive here? Why does a woman use fertility treatments or IVF? She wants children but is unable to have them. This woman has six kids; no problem getting pregnant. Why would someone who has more than enough kids already and no problem getting pregnant use fertility treatments or IVF? Maybe she’s just that wealthy that she cna have whatever she wants no matter how illogical. But this woman is a single mom living with her parents, and the family filed for bankruptcy last year.

NOTHING about this makes sense, and nothing can justify it. Of course she shouldn’t have had an abortion, but she shouldn’t have gotten pregnant via a method with a risk of such ridiculously great multiples in the first place! Not when she already had SIX children all under the age of 7! Who in their right mind does that?!

Yes, she has the right to live how she wants and have as many children as she wants; having the right to do something doesn’t make it admirable or advisable, and no doctor should be obligated to help.

No admirable motives can justify this because none of them make sense. It must have been done for money or fame. Having kids for money or fame is WRONG. If the press and Discovery Health Channel continue to idealize large families that keep on growing, it’s no wonder the kids-by-the-dozen craze finally got out of control.

Janet McGlamery January 30, 2009, 2:31 PM

All I want to know is where is the father? Someone needs to track him down now, so that he can be involved in these children’s lives both physically and financially.

Lynn January 30, 2009, 3:21 PM

I agree with what reality check stated:
“My honest opinion is that is if my tax dollars do not go to the support of these children it really isn’t any of my business. I can’t shake the feeling that this was done on purpose though. We see all the time how unique families make big bucks from the media. The best thing would be for everyone to ignore this family and make them fend for themselves. They got themselves into this situation now let them figure out how to support and care for all these kids themselves. Maybe it would send a message to anyone else who is planning on taking this path and thinking how tey can cash in on it. This situation sets an example of why welfare should be capped on the number of dependents who qualify in a household. I’m just say’in!” AMEN!

shutup January 30, 2009, 5:01 PM

People are complaining loudly about their tax dollars supporting other people’s kids. But what about the millions of single people whose tax dollars are supporting your kids? Hypocrites.

Anonymous January 30, 2009, 5:02 PM

I’D pass out if maury told me i was the babys daddy.

PAYING TAXES IN CA January 30, 2009, 5:34 PM

As a single woman paying taxes in L.A. - when people ask me why I have ultimately decided NOT to have ANY children, I’ll just point over to the freeway and say, uh, my money’s going to whatever programs support the 14 kids over there.

Hate to say that - but it’s the truth. I have a high-end college degree and a trade skill I have acquired to attain financially independent. I have dated the same man for 5 years. I WILL NEVER HAVE CHILDREN - because I just can’t imagine trying to raise only one the way I would see fit while my hard-earned pay is being sucked out by the California government to reward the MANY people around here who pop out kids and throw them at the system. Not that she’s going to do that - but really…

I have issues with fertility treatment to begin with - and if it was used (which it probably was) - THE DOCTORS WERE HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE.

Rent the movie IDIOCRACY.

Nessa January 30, 2009, 6:25 PM

Just wanted to say how disgusted I am. I think that this mother watched too many Jon and kate episodes and will attempt to exploit these children. Mark my words, this will happen. Why in the world would anyone who has six children even attempt a fertility treatment? There’s no way, even with the help of both parents, that she will be able to afford these children. She will just be another leach on society. There should be a law against this.

Anonymous January 30, 2009, 9:22 PM

sounds like a welfare mom to me

Suzanne  January 30, 2009, 9:25 PM

I was lucky enough to have twins with no medical help, and made the choice to stop there. Through Mother of Twins club, I have many friends that went through fertility treatments to have another child after the first one, and that led to twins or even triplets. However, not one of them would consider continuing medical help if they already had six kids!
I’m not even going to get into the welfare issue. This woman needed a psychiatrist, not a fertility clinic.

BEEB36066 January 31, 2009, 11:45 AM

YOU ARE ALL CRAZY FOR THINKING THE WAY YOU DO CHILDREN ARE CHILDREN WE ARE GOING TO LOVE THEM NO MATTER WHAT HER AND HER PARENTS WILL FIND A WAY TO DO WHAT EVER THEY NEED TO DO SO INSTEAD OF BITCHING ABOUT IT JUST ASK GOD TO HELP THEM IN ANY THAT HE CAN GOD HAS CHOSEN HER FOR THIS NOT YOU SO JUST PRAY TO HIM FOR THEM AND PRAY FOR YOURSELVES TOO I KNOW I WILL BE

BLBrown January 31, 2009, 8:35 PM

So What? This is supposed to be America, the land of the free…after all, she is getting an education…..she will be just fine….Not everyone needs money for entertainment and nonsense..a roof over the head,clothes on back, food in mouth…..that’s enough!

Pam  January 31, 2009, 10:28 PM

This is unforgivable - the doctor that agreed to implant the embroyos should have his license removed. I have seen too many mothers who shouldn’t be mothers see this as a big money scam - in this case, WE WILL pay big time. Let’s have the doctors foot some of the bill out of his pocket. Inexcusable. The mother is “OCD” and this is one of the things that they can become obsessed about - please - they cannot act on this without the help of “professionals”. Let’s have her go home with the brood and she’s on her own…

LEO February 1, 2009, 9:38 AM

OK —- WHO IS PAYING MEDICAL BILLS - FOOD - HOUSING - CLOTHING - TRANSPORTATION -EDUCATION - NOT TO MENTION ALL THE OTHER INCIDENTALS IT TAKES US TO RAISE OUR CHILDREN - WE WORK OVERTIME TO TO KEEP AHEAD OF THE GAME — WILL IT BE DADDY OR OUR TAX DOLLARS —-

2kidsMom February 1, 2009, 11:00 AM

I’ve never contributed to a forum before, but I just had to ask this question…..if this family lives on a cul-de-sac in an average 3 bedroom neighborhood, what would living next door to a family with 14 kids be like? Will resale of houses on the cul-de-sac retain their value? To those condeming the nosey neighbors, think of living next door to a growing family of such size. This Mom needs to live where the kids have their space to enjoy life. As a grandmother, I greatly enjoy the 5 grandchildren, but living in the house with 14 is an entirely different story. Is this daughter their only child? From reading, the same situation in UK really does pay well.

jma February 1, 2009, 11:32 AM

People like her need one thing and one thing only….MANDATORY STERILIZATION !.
People who do not have the means of supporting their brood, especially if unmarried, should be Sterilized once they’ve dropped their first load, be it one kid or however-many…If not, the tax-paying citizens will continue to have to pick up the tab for all these never-ending illegitimate rug-rats…
This cow is nothing but a baby-machine with the mind-set of a baby-machine and the intelligence of a child. And she apparently has no means of supporting her tribe and has to rely on her family…and, undoubtedly, some sort of Public Assistance…
She has been “obsessed with having children” (according to her family) since she was young but she has never attempted to do it the “correct” way (ie…marriage or, at least, a “partner” who would “be there” for the kids)…and her parents have, apparently, never attempted to stop her.
Which brings up a legit question…Where did the money for her fertilization come from?…This is NOT an INEXPENSIVE procedure?…
Maybe she needed psychological counseling but…hey…it’s too late now…She should have been sterilized after the first 6, now there are 14…and this cow wants more! She is a whack-job and should have her baby-factory shut-down…
And don’t bother with your emails voicing “outrage” that anyone should be so cruel/heartless/evil (take your pick) to even suggest Sterilization of these mindless twits who insist on having kids without the means of supporting them…I’ll bet a LOT of you have the same thought/feeling but just don’t have the gumption to suggest it….

Maggie February 1, 2009, 1:02 PM

Absolutely ludicrous she had a litter and now who’s going to take care and pay for all those puppies?

Maggie February 1, 2009, 1:16 PM

I forgot to mention she already has a litter at home and no Daddy to help her….this whole thing with this young Mother of 14 should be investigated it’s appalling….welfare here I come!!!!!

Darlee February 1, 2009, 2:20 PM

I am for the freedom to have as many kids as you can afford! What I am against is having kids with no present father and no way to support them. How selfish can you be to expect the rest of us to take care of them for the next eighteen years. If I wanted to support a child I would have had more of my own!

B Rose February 1, 2009, 5:27 PM