Neighbor: Octuplets From Sperm Donor

In an effort to try and find out more about the woman who gave birth to octuplets earlier this week, we went to the home she shares with her parents and six other children in Whittier, California.

Pregnant woman and baster

What we learned is that her whole neighborhood is buzzing about the possibility that the 33-year-old mother used the same sperm donor to conceive the octuplets AND her other six children.

In an exclusive interview with momlogic, one neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous, revealed that the very pregnant young mom was THE hot topic of conversation at the neighborhood Christmas party. He says, "From what I heard, she likes kids, she wants a jillion kids. She even lied to the doctors who impregnated her." The grandmother of the octuplets told the LA Times she never expected fertility treatments would lead her to conceive her eight babies. Neither doctors nor family members have commented on whether or not she used donor sperm.

When asked if he knew who the father of the baby is, the neighbor said, "She is single. She used a sperm donor, someone she knew, who donated sperm a long time ago. He donated the sperm for the first six kids and she used his frozen sperm for these ones. I don't think the sperm donor knows about these eight kids. He was not involved."

According to the neighbor, the parents are very supportive of their daughter and even lost their own home in an effort to support her. "The parents lost their house supporting their daughter," the neighbor went on. "They actually bought this house for her, but then they lost their house supporting her and her kids and they had to move in with her. And now her father has to go back to Iraq to earn more money to support her. Her father either works as a truck driver or an interpreter [in Iraq]."

As to whether the mother herself works, the neighbor says: "She's a professional student and I want to know where the money's coming from to do this. Maybe she's using her student loans to do it."

The family is very private: "They stick to themselves and you can always hear the grandma yelling at the kids because they are so rambunctious."

Although many think the birth of the octuplets is a happy miracle, the neighbor disagrees. "We should find out who the doctor is and where the money came from because this is irresponsible. The girl seemed a little off -- and I don't want to be paying for her kids."

next: Nick Lachey Stands up for Jessica
Anonymous February 1, 2009, 7:12 AM

“thematically fickle” hit it right on the head.

Jim February 1, 2009, 7:14 AM

She sounds like a real catch, I wonder why she is still single.

debbie February 1, 2009, 7:14 AM

I think it is nothing but irresponsible to have so many children. This is akin to pet hoarding. At least the APA comes in and takes pets away when there are too many. These children…. 14 of them have no father, no two sets of family what a selfish disgusting woman.

0populationpro February 1, 2009, 7:15 AM

4 ava - the Dugger family is self supporting, according to an interview on one of their shows. They are not supported by any of us. The dad said he made the babies and pays all the bills. I believe he is a real estate agent (not entirely sure)

Gail February 1, 2009, 7:16 AM

This woman I believe has a mental problem, and the state should not give her any money to support this family, I had 3 children and both my husband and I have to hold down 2 jobs to give them what they need; we do not get a penny or a free lunch for our children and that is the way it should be..This woman is out of her mind, and so are the doctors to allow this

Mom in TX February 1, 2009, 7:22 AM

I find it odd that the government steps in if someone has too many cats in their house and can’t properly care for them. We stop crazy women all the time from hoarding too many pets. Are there similar laws protecting innocent children?

Kate February 1, 2009, 7:25 AM

I guess the neighbors wouldn’t be exposing her on national news if she hadn’t started it by birthing the litter.
It’s fine for people to have as many kids as they can support, financially and emotionally. In this case it appears the mother can’t do either. When the taxpayers get tapped to support children we have every right to our opinions. The doctors who were so quick to defend themselves know they were wrong. They should be the ones who support these kids since they are the one’s who irresponsibilly impregnated her. She’s an egg doner and no different than the sperm doner.

Sunday February 1, 2009, 7:28 AM

This whole situation is just plain SAD. The birth of a child should be a happy occasion and instead it’s a 3-ring circus. Irrisponsibility is the culprit!

klemr10 February 1, 2009, 7:30 AM

When i first heard this story, I thought jeezy peets, just leave them alone. Now after details, hmmm? 14 kids would be extremely difficult to financially support, especially single. Solution? Head to Iraq. Apparently, there’s money to be made there if grandpa is returning to support his huge 16+ member family, while grandma and daughter and children just sit around and wait on the checks to roll in. Haven’t Americans poured money into that country to “aid” their independence.
I’m a single mother of a 14 yr.old daughter. I work as a machinist 40+ hours a week to support her, for the last 9 yrs. If I get in a pinch, nobody helps me. Why? I make too much money for the size of my household. Damn, what was I thinking using protection to avoid pregnancy? Their just kids and somebody else will always be there for the children because they are our future… unless they have to go back to where they came from to support this ridiculus cycle

0populationpro February 1, 2009, 7:33 AM

Wouldn’t it make sense to limit AFDC (welfare) “benefits” to the children a woman already has, and not automatically include all future kids? If a woman had to reapply for assistance every time she births another, she might stop and think it might be easier to get a job. How about withholding assistance until a mother is able/willing to name the father of her baby, put the name on a birth certificate? Either she or the state can then file for paternal support payments, which will repay the state for some of the money spent on his child. No baby’s daddy, or no official report of rape,= no assistance. And no, I am not anti-welfare. I am a former welfare mom myself. I support a woman’s right to have as many kids as she and her partner can afford. I just don’t believe I have to indulge her.

Nancy February 1, 2009, 7:36 AM

It may be true that the neighbors are all gossips and know little —But it’s absolutely clear that the doctors involved were operating unethically. When I was going through IVF, the doctors at first told me they wouldn’t put in more than 2 embryos because IVF was becoming sooo successful that the risk of a multiple pregnancy was so high (risky for babies and mom). It turned out that all four of my embryos were really “poor” quality (too few cells) and they didn’t expect any of them to work so they transferred 3 of them — and I would up with healthy twins. My point is that no doctor should ever transfer more than 2 or 3 embryos. And in some clinics, they’ll only transfer one at a time because IVF is so successful usually. No doctor should put a woman and EIGHT babies at risk like that.

betty February 1, 2009, 7:39 AM

LEAVE THESE PEOPLE ALONE ,THIS WOMAN
JUST HAD 8 BABIES AND I,M SURE SHE HAD
A ROUGH TIME,TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN
BUSINESS AND KIDS.THE KIDS DON,T NEED THIS KIND OF DRAMER.YES IT,S SOMETHING SHE HAD 8 BABIES ,BUT PUT IT TO REST A
READY.THERE OTHER THINGS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD THEN TO STAY ON THIS.
AMERICA BRING & brought other people
here and taking care of them and alot
have never worked.they gave them housing
food stamps ,healthcare & money.and the ones that do work ,they are taking american money sending it to build they
home land up and ours are giong down the tube ,at least she american.
I JUST HOPE THE BABIES & HER WILL BE FINE.MY BEST TO THE FAMILY .And the
neigbor who is willing to give out so much dirty ,should mind her buiness if
she can,t help the family in anyway.the
BIBLE SAY LOVE THY NEIGBOR .Kids are kids, no matter what the number is,some
got one and they are spoiled sprat.

Annoyed February 1, 2009, 7:44 AM

If anyone watched some of the news on TV you would have heard that the mother of this woman is not happy with this. I believe that what she is doing is some kind of sickness. She says she want to have many children, in this day and age no one can afford the ones they have. What about the long term, school, collage? Who will pay for that? This doctor is sick just like her/

Rose February 1, 2009, 7:48 AM

I agree with the people who think she is doing this for fame, freebies and, most importantly, money. She sees how other very large families are treated with TV shows and exclusive lifetime magazine contracts. She’s looking for the big cash. I hope the powers that be do not glamorize this event with any of these perks. The babies should be taken away from her and placed in foster care until she can prove that she is able to support them “herself” not with state money.

David February 1, 2009, 7:48 AM

Sandra - you are right. If the mother and grandparents are not US citizens then deport them immediately. The grandparents are enablers, the mother obviously lacking mental capacity is very ill and not my responsibilty(i.e. the problem of US taxpayers). The children who presumably are US citizens should be
adopted out in the US to the unfortunate infertile couples who “play by the rules” and support themselves.

I have absolutely no compassion for idiots and their enablers. America
you better wake up - when you make welfare too easy to get and encourage irresponsible behavior this is what
you get. GIVE US MORE WELFARE DEMS! America needs a second revolution.

Ed February 1, 2009, 7:50 AM

Just more mouths for the public to support. With 14 kids I bet she has no job.

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 7:52 AM

If the women can’t afford them she should have aborted them. She already has six of them and is probably on welfare. I feel sorry for the taxpayers in CA. Glad I don’t live there. After she had the babies they should have given her a hysterectomy for a going away present.

DUKE February 1, 2009, 7:52 AM

TAXPAYERS SHOULD NOT PAY ONE CENT FOR THE WELFARE OF THIS DIS FUCTIONAL FAMILY. THE DOCTORS WHO WERE INVOLVLED IN THIS FARCE SHOULD ASSUME ANY EXPENSE TO RAISE THESE POOR KIDS. THE MOTHER SHOULD BE IN AN INSTITUTION AND THE GRANDPARENTS FLOGGED.

Joy S. February 1, 2009, 7:52 AM

WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WHO WNT CHILDREN AND CAN’T HAVE THEM OR AFFORD TO ADOPT. THAT REALLY HURTS. I
CAN’T HAVE CHILDREN NOR CAN I AFFORD TO
ADOPT. PEOPLE ACCUSE ME OF BEING JEALOUS, I’M NOT, I JUST HAVE THAT HUGE
HOLE IN MY HEART THAT IS EMPTY. I HAVE
BEEN TALKED ABOUT AND MADE FUN OF BY
PEOPLE BECAUSE I CAN’T HAVE CHILDREN.
IT REALLY HURTS AND NO ONE REALLY KNOWS
WHAT IT’S UNLESS THEY’VE BEEN THERE.

HURT IN ALABAMA

cardiac February 1, 2009, 7:53 AM

A story like this one validates just how sick our society is today. Sure, there will always be people around like this goofy woman- but there are supposed to be checks and balances(aka rules and regs of business and doctors…) to KEEP at least a modicon of civility and common sense to how things are done. 100% agree that the fertility schiester MD who initially screened and treated this dolt must be taken to task for his absent ethics apparently. One can’t help but wonder about HIS motivations- be it was xtramoney under the table or worse- pretty obvious- something went terribly wrong in the beginning by the fertility doc. Probably figured she’d eventually miscarry and he wouldn’t be held to account. He is in a lot of trouble. Either way you look at it. NEver mind the life this vermin of a mother will bring for her kids with no job.