Neighbor: Octuplets From Sperm Donor

In an effort to try and find out more about the woman who gave birth to octuplets earlier this week, we went to the home she shares with her parents and six other children in Whittier, California.

Pregnant woman and baster

What we learned is that her whole neighborhood is buzzing about the possibility that the 33-year-old mother used the same sperm donor to conceive the octuplets AND her other six children.

In an exclusive interview with momlogic, one neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous, revealed that the very pregnant young mom was THE hot topic of conversation at the neighborhood Christmas party. He says, "From what I heard, she likes kids, she wants a jillion kids. She even lied to the doctors who impregnated her." The grandmother of the octuplets told the LA Times she never expected fertility treatments would lead her to conceive her eight babies. Neither doctors nor family members have commented on whether or not she used donor sperm.

When asked if he knew who the father of the baby is, the neighbor said, "She is single. She used a sperm donor, someone she knew, who donated sperm a long time ago. He donated the sperm for the first six kids and she used his frozen sperm for these ones. I don't think the sperm donor knows about these eight kids. He was not involved."

According to the neighbor, the parents are very supportive of their daughter and even lost their own home in an effort to support her. "The parents lost their house supporting their daughter," the neighbor went on. "They actually bought this house for her, but then they lost their house supporting her and her kids and they had to move in with her. And now her father has to go back to Iraq to earn more money to support her. Her father either works as a truck driver or an interpreter [in Iraq]."

As to whether the mother herself works, the neighbor says: "She's a professional student and I want to know where the money's coming from to do this. Maybe she's using her student loans to do it."

The family is very private: "They stick to themselves and you can always hear the grandma yelling at the kids because they are so rambunctious."

Although many think the birth of the octuplets is a happy miracle, the neighbor disagrees. "We should find out who the doctor is and where the money came from because this is irresponsible. The girl seemed a little off -- and I don't want to be paying for her kids."

next: Nick Lachey Stands up for Jessica
slcrows February 1, 2009, 8:43 AM

After reading some comments i realize that some Christians out there think we are judging. God calls us to hold our fellow christians accountable. that being said, I want some of you to turn your paychecks over to that woman. If you think not wanting to support her 14 kids is judgmental then you support her. Perhaps the court system should attach the doctor’s salary for his stupidy in this. no one has an answer but we all know the questions, what is wrong with her thinking, and why did a Physician do this?? We all make decisions based on what is going on in our lives at the time. I thought that because they were my grandchildren and i loved them that raising 4 kids at 61 and a Widow would be easy. i cried yesterday when all my money went to the bills, not nearly enough for food, and when the kids need clothes, no Gap representative, or anyone is at my door with freebies. I work all day and at home most of the night. No food stamps, ( i make just over the limit) a car payment and a mortgage and many other bills. So to say i am shocked that some single parenthas 14 kids with a Physicians help is shocking. They are children who will deserve better than she will be able to give them. the word breeds comes to mind. i know what it cost to raise the 5 of us, so I marvel at the people out there who think that she can do this. Just saying their prayers and helping with homework is a full time job. Who will work?

Angiebaby February 1, 2009, 8:43 AM

“Brow raising” allegations? After learning doctors implanted 8 embryos into a woman, and a woman who has no infertility issues at that, nothing could raise my brows in this situation. And please don’t believe the mess about the fertility doctors not knowing the woman already had children. Even if the woman lied to them about it, the body, and specifically the uterus, shows the truth during a proper physical exam for an infertility work up.

As for women who seek treatment for infertility and have multiple births, they are rare. The reason we are hearing about multiple births more often now is because the technology to manipulate pregnancy is now widely available and effective. I don’t begrudge a woman who undergoes treatment because she can’t have kids, and then has 4 embryos result from insemination. And I hold no ill will for her refusing to abort some of the children. But implanting 6 or 8 viable embryos is irresponsible and bad medicine.

whattheheck February 1, 2009, 8:44 AM

I THINK THE STATE SHOULD REFUSE TO PAY ANY WELFARE TO THIS WOMAN BUT SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SUE THE FERTILITY CLINIC THAT WAS SO IRRESPONSIBLE AS TO IMPLANT THIS POOR SOUL. THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE CHILDREN UNTIL THEY ARE 18 SINCE THEY ARE PRACTICALLY THE FATHER.

Glenda Garcia February 1, 2009, 8:46 AM

We live in America,we have the right to have as many children as we want. BUT,if you can’t afford it,STOP. Also,I am curious to know if they are Iraqi,Muslims.??????

Pat February 1, 2009, 8:48 AM

I would imagine the doctor did this procedure for free so the hospital and drs could follow the development of 8 premature babies and follow the disorders and ailments that 8 premies will have. The doctor and hospital got their 10 min of fame and these children will have a miserable life.

Sandy Lynn February 1, 2009, 8:50 AM

As for the duggars, yes, they are not on any sort of public assistant and may never be… BUT… they also didn’t pay for that huge house that they are living in and the furnishings and appliances, that piano so on and so forth. I don’t personally care how many kids a family has as long as they are well cared for and loved and that I don’t have to pay for them.
What I hate is when customers come through my checkout lane and look down at me becuse of where I work and they pay for their food with foodstamps which I am paying for and I make too much money to qualify for them myself.

DUH! February 1, 2009, 8:53 AM

I’ll just have to say “ditto” to what “thematically fickle” had to say. I’ve been reading all of these and that one hits the nail on the head!

carol February 1, 2009, 8:54 AM

This woman should have known better. She had 6 kids and didn’t need anymore. This is just more kids for taxpayers to have to support. People should not be allowed to have kids that they can’t support. Where is the father of these kids. You can bet that he doesn’t pay child support. Does he even know that he has 8 more kids. After having 6 kids this woman should had herself fixed so she couldn’t have anymore kids. If she uses student loan money to support these kids instead of school then this needs to be checked into, that money is for education.Let go to work and try to support 14 kids. I worked and supported my 3 and it was all I could do to put them through school and cloth and feed them. The state of California should do something about people like her that the taxpayers fo their state now will have to support.

laprns February 1, 2009, 8:55 AM

The Duggars have stated on their reality show that they scrimp and live off his salary along with the money from the show. People donate items to them,especially now that they are in the public eye. This woman with the octuplets is just insane-with no visible income and with her parents losing everything it makes sense to come to the conclusion the the taxpayers are footing the bill for this obsession of hers. That makes it our business. The Doctor should have been more responsible (he would have been the only responsible adult involved) and subjected her to a psychiatric exam when she came in for in-vitro while unmarried.

Jennifer February 1, 2009, 8:56 AM

Where is this woman originally from anyway? As long as she pays for all these kids herself, in whichever form, it shouldn’t bother anyone. If she, at any time, receives government assistance however, it does become the taxpayers’ business and we can say anything we want to about it. Who, in their right mind and with the economy in the state it’s in these days, would want to bring all these kids into the world? Doesn’t make sense to me at all. I worry about just the two I have. And raising them is another story altogether. No one can afford to put 18 kids thru college without some kind of financial help. I just hope they all make it thru high school and all with their diplomas.

american citizen February 1, 2009, 8:57 AM

I am 70 yrs old & working to take care of myself & my grand children. Is this woman on welfare? some people just want to have more babies so that they can get more welfare paid for by our working and taxes. How much money will this woman get from welfare? I am sick with heart problems & other;I am tired of working but I cannot quit. Has this woman ever worked. Probably not because the more babies, the more welfare money.

single taxpayer February 1, 2009, 8:58 AM

The federal government needs to quit paying for this insanity. These children are human beings, and the mother should not be allowed to keep having them at will, when she can’t take care of them. She couldn’t “love” them, because when you love, you put others needs above your selfish wants. She couldn’t possibly give these kids the attention that they need. The government should only provide welfare and tax breaks for your first two children. Then we would find that a lot of these people who “love” children more than getting a job would start keeping their legs together.

Linda February 1, 2009, 8:58 AM

Send them all back to Iraq. Let Iraq pay for them.

Jareg February 1, 2009, 8:59 AM

I am a 33 yr old mother of just 2 ages 14 and 11. I have raised them mostly alone for 8 years. I have always worked and it has been almost impossible at time to give them what they need when its needed never mind things they may like to have. I have never been on welfare and i try deperately to never have to. I don’t see how it can be seen as anywhere close to responseable for this woman to have 8 more children at once when there are 6 at home that need her car. have 8 over a period of 10 or 12 years would be difficult to manage but 8 at once to me anyway just seem impossible with out serious aide. But looking back at other couples that have had 6 or more at once they seem to get all the support they need for the state they live in or other charitable organizations. They receive help in buying a large enough home or better one is given to them. Or a van large enough to tote these youngins around. Thats great for them but have 6 or 8 at a time is a choice. What about all the families out there that had a good life had a couple few kids then got laid off from work lost there jobs and can’t get help from any where. Its just so sad how things like these are precieved. In my eyes she had no right bringing 8 more children into her world when obviously she can not and has not been able to care for the 6 she has aready at home.

riverworm February 1, 2009, 9:00 AM

the doctors at this clinic should be made legally responsible for the last eight kids,until they are grown…..no public assistance of anykind, pass the cost to the doctor,or doctors………next time maybe they will use better judgement

ELVIRA February 1, 2009, 9:01 AM

THE DOCTORS THE DOCTORS AT THE CLINIC THEIR NAMES SHOULD BE LISTED ALL OVER THE INTERNET, THEY KNEW SHE HAD 6 OTHER CHILDERN & STILL THEY PUT THOSE EGGS INSIDE HER, WHAT MONIES DID THEY RECEIVE TO DO THIS? DON’T FORGET ALL OF YOU ARE PAYING FOR THIS & THE STATE OF CA.

Frank SUNSERI February 1, 2009, 9:02 AM

It is EVERYBODIES business how many children are
brought into this world! Society ends up paying the huge cost either directly or indirectly!
This woman should be INVOLUNTARILY sterilized
and prosecuted and so should the doctors.
If people are going to ignore their personal
responsiblity to society, we are going to have to force
them to acknowledge it.

CR February 1, 2009, 9:04 AM

If she wants a big family like in the “old days”, she should move to a country where they all can safely live off the land. This country is polluted, government corrupted, sociologically degraded and drug infested.
FSherman and Betty would agree.
Since the best interest of her children is her true focus in life, she should move them to another country.
Note: her father is leaving very soon. I wonder if her mother will be far behind given that her life of childcare now and in the future leaves her no option for breath alone until she dies

dearlizzie February 1, 2009, 9:05 AM

Hopefully this scandal will lead to tighter laws and better screening for in vitro fertilization. We need policies that are at least as stringent as those for adoption. Required in-home interviews to see what the candidate’s home life is like (how other children are cared for or to check for signs of instability). Laws setting thresholds for finances to prove a candidate is able to support additional children, particularly if a candidate is a single parent. Ones barring IVF if the candidate already has 3 or more children.

Pat February 1, 2009, 9:05 AM

SHOCKING! But…indicative of how skewed some attitudes are. ANY ONE who produces children with the intent of ‘living off’ society in one form or another should be skewered themselves, and so should those who aid or assist them. Immigrants entering the USA years ago produced large families…yet took full respnsibility for them…for there was no ‘welfare, free housing or government dole’ at the time.

One pregnancy out of wedlock we can understand and support, when the second occurs it should put us on notice and tubes should be tied thereafter (at societies expense for sure). This should apply also to men who consistently father children out of wedlock.

Unfortunately many ignorant women make a career of birthing babies by multiple fathers because society ‘rewards’ them for doing so. Free housing, free food, food stamps, welfare…c’mon folks…and it always includes housing for the woman’s latest ‘sex partner’.

Time to legislate against this expensive farce. Or perhaps we should all join the parade and ‘get paid to play?”.

What say you?