Octuplets' Mom Finally Speaks Out

Her mother also gives additional details to the press.

karen_maples320.jpg
The mother of octuplets spoke out for the first time Thursday, saying in a statement she was "ecstatic" and thanked the public for their "positive thoughts, prayers and generosity."

In the statement issued though Kaiser Permanente hospital in Bellflower, Calif., the anonymous mother says:

"We understand that you are all curious about the arrival of the octuplets and we appreciate your respect for our family's privacy. Please know, in our own time, we will share additional details about this miraculous experience.

"The babies continue to grow strong every day and make good progress. My family and I are ecstatic about all of their arrivals. Needless to say, the eighth was a surprise to us all, but a blessing as well.

"Thank you to the extra special nurses and hospital staff for their tireless support. Ever since I came to Kaiser after becoming pregnant, I've been grateful for the phenomenal medical team responsible for the extraordinary care that my babies and I received.

"Finally, we thank all of you for the positive thoughts, prayers and generosity."

The statement was signed, "The Family."

Yesterday, the woman's mother also spoke to the LA Times and said her daughter never expected that the fertility treatment she received would result in eight more babies.

The woman, who has not been publicly identified, had embryos implanted last year, and "they all happened to take," Angela Suleman said, leading to the eight births Monday. "I looked at those babies. They are so tiny and so beautiful."

She acknowledged that raising 14 children is a daunting prospect.

"It's going to be difficult," Suleman added, noting that her daughter's father is going back to Iraq, where neighbors said he worked as a contractor, to help support the expanded family.

The mother of the octuplets lives on a well-kept cul-de-sac in Whittier, where more than a dozen reporters and camera crews descended Thursday.

Neighbors said she and her six children -- ages 7, 6, 5, 3 and 2-year-old twins -- live there with her mother. Her marital status is unknown. Family members did not answer the door, but when a reporter called the home asking for Suleman, she spoke briefly.

According to her account, when her daughter discovered that she was expecting multiple babies, doctors gave her the option of selectively reducing the number of embryos, but she declined.

"What do you suggest she should have done? She refused to have them killed," Suleman said as the sound of children could be heard in the background. "That is a very painful thing."

The information about the family came amid growing questions about the medical ethics of the case and how the woman came to carry eight babies to term.

Dr. Harold Henry, a member of the delivery team, said doctors counseled her regarding the options and risks -- among them aborting some of the fetuses.

"Our goal is to provide the best possible care, no matter what the situation or circumstances are," Henry said. "What I do is just explain the facts. I always talk about the risks. The mother weighs those options, and she chooses the option based on spiritual or personal makeup."

Henry said the eight children would "require quite a bit of resources. You need many diapers, bottles, car seats, food -- quite a bit."

Already, Kaiser officials said, the mother is receiving gift baskets, sealed envelopes and flowers.

next: Super Bowl -- With Baby!
theboyzmom January 30, 2009, 11:01 AM

Being the mother of multiples and preemies, I understand the not wanting to selectivly reduce. However, I think it was completely reckless of the doctor to implant that many. Although it’s unlikely that they would all ‘take’, you still run that risk. Most doctors will only implant 1-4.

I would really like to know why a mother of 6 wanted to have implantation (although I totally agree it’s her choice), and the doctors knowing she already had that many children, why would they implant so many.

My biggest question is how is she going to support all these kids? With 14 children, how is she going to work? The are all so young, will they all get the attention they need from their mother (believe me, although ‘help’ is welcome and needed, the children will still want MOM).

birdsfly January 30, 2009, 11:11 AM

Given that she has a previous set of twins it is possible that all or most of her children were from fertility treatment and with her past experience she thought she would only have one, maybe two more. If she has the money for these treatments she most likely has the money to care for the children she already had. There is really no way she was planning on 8, but once they were there I couldn’t imagine having to pick and choose to abort babies that had been tried for.

coffee January 30, 2009, 11:21 AM

it’s pretty amazing that all eight of those babies survived

Anonymous January 30, 2009, 4:02 PM

disgusting…

jonn January 30, 2009, 4:11 PM

zRih5s I remained happy having visited this site.

Nick@Nite January 30, 2009, 4:48 PM

woof woof

Pi**ed off Anon January 30, 2009, 5:36 PM

Mom: Thank you for all your (positive?) thoughts, prayers, and GENEROSITY. Yes, and your DESPERATELY REQUIRED CONTINUED GENEROSITY for the rest of the Octs lives. I’ll reveal more details as they emerge, such as the Octs names. Here’s a hint, Oct one will be named $, and Oct 2, $$. Stay tuned to hear what I name the rest.

Anonymous January 30, 2009, 8:36 PM

As a mother of a baby from IVF I am amazed that they would implant 8 - this clinic needs some serious scrutiny. I was given much counsel not to implant 3 on my 8th try and we knew it was risking triplets, but like I said this was our 8th try and we were pushing the limits. I guess this clinic also does not have a marriage rule - mine did. I am totally against selective reduction. I can see this happening with chlomed or IUI that would be more understandable. 8 embroys should never have been transfered.

Sharon January 30, 2009, 9:18 PM

There are so many moral issues regarding this story. It’s hard to dissect it all because we don’t have all the information YET. But, with the info we have we can surmise that this women as Bill O’Reilly suggests is a major loon. Unmarried with 6 children living with her parents and her father states they are financially equipped to take care of 8 more babies with a total of 14 children!! Did he say how he’s taking care of them? Is it government ad that they receive that all of us are paying for as the grandmother just filed bankruptcy? I hear they are on government support. What agency did the invitro fertilization, they are in hiding, Kaiser said they didn’t do it. I’ve just learned there are no ruled that govern these agencies. Does this agency want to pay for these babies? I hear it takes approximately $250,000 to care for these children. Who pays? I surely don’t want to pay for these children and living in California I think you can now call me a surrogate Mama. This is disgusting, abysmal and intolerable. Maybe I didn’t mention that the grandfather has an accent and works in the Middle East. I just wonder if they are Muslim and the plan is to spread the seed and the more children the merrier. I hope we get the whole story and when we do we need to find ways to put a stop to this so it won’t happen again.

disgusted in Pittsburgh January 30, 2009, 11:35 PM

This whole thing turns my stomach. Who would give Clomid or In-vitro to a single Mom living with her parents. I feel this woman did this for attention and money and I hope she doesn’t get one cent from gov’t or charity. There is something wrong in this womans head. I wonder about her age as I read that she is pretty young. Just hope that the gov’t isn’t going to end up paying for all these kids through welfare assistance. That will really burn me up. Its RIDICULOUS!!!!

Tax Payer January 31, 2009, 12:05 AM

All of the children should be removed from the residence and the situation evaluated by Child Welfare Services. It is impossible for the children to get the care and love they need in this home. I am sure we (tax payers) will have to may the hospital bill (over $1,000,000!). The loon mother could come up with the $25,000 plus in cash to get the implant, but then is suddenly broke. Welfare will be $2600 per month for 216 months. That is a total of $561,600. The family went bankrupt just a few months ago, but can afford a Nanny. The Nanny was interviewed by KTLA news in LA.
If you can’t pay for them, don’t have them. Get a hobby and keep your legs together!

Elaine January 31, 2009, 1:23 AM

i am so glad that the babies are doing great, but! Infertility treatment is so expensive! If she had 6 children already why would she need fertility drugs. Obviously she can conceive without drugs.

jonn January 31, 2009, 4:44 AM

kZ1QEF I remained happy having visited this site.

oasisfleeting January 31, 2009, 6:37 AM

I think it’s illegal in most states to have more than 8 cats in a single home. This law should apply to single mothers living with their parents. This lady is completely selfish and I hate to agree with someone like O’reily but she is probably completely nuts.

Steven January 31, 2009, 10:51 AM

And I’m sure that the taxpayers will also be paying for these. A single “mother”, living with parents, already had 6 kids. So why the hell would any doctor implant more? I think this crazy, lay down and have some fun woman, along with the doctor should be locked up. If she thinks she “needs” to be around all these kids, go work in an orphanage or start a daycare center.

Jones January 31, 2009, 1:55 PM

I’d like to know how much this is going to cost the ” Tax Payers “; this family is broke they can’t afford the family they already have. They filed for bankruptcy

BLBrown January 31, 2009, 8:44 PM

Good luck and best wishes to this entire family.,…..the public should bow out…….some things are better left unsaid! Have you people never heard that “if you have nothing good to say….say nothing at all.” In other words, “Shut Up!”

Kris January 31, 2009, 9:20 PM

BLBrown You bow out and Shut Up! This chic filed for brankruptcy and has no husband we the public will be providing for this Awful Situation! How can a single mom afford the hospital bills? We are a two income family with 2 children- I could not would not want 14! At least the Duggars support those children and are married. But this lady is a loon looking for media sponsorship!

LSR February 1, 2009, 6:29 PM

I tend to agree with some of the people that wonder why would a doctor implant 8 babies in a woman who had no husband and already had 6 children. What on earth is going on? Welfare is paid by the rest of us who pay taxes and can barely make ends meet, and here is a person haveing 14 kids, and cannot possibly care for them. I think that She should let someone adopt some of them and give them a home that they can actually be noticed in.

ANON February 1, 2009, 7:36 PM

I think social services should declare this woman unfit to care for these children, take them and put them up for adoption. This woman is not operating with a full deck. Believe me, all those kids in one family is a welfare case big time.