Pissed About Michelle Obama's Dress

Should Michelle Obama have worn a black designer on Inauguration Day? Some think so.

Michelle and Barack Obama

Michelle Obama chose 26-year old designer Jason Wu and Cuban American designer Isabel Toledo for her Inauguration looks. This has gotten members of the Black Artists Association  riled up. The group's co-founder, Amnau Eele, told Women's Wear Daily, "It's fine and good if you want to be all 'Kumbaya' and 'We Are the World' by representing all different countries. But ... why not have black designers do something too? This was our moment." Wait a minute. Are we not trying to live in a post-racial world, which is part of the reason we celebrated President Obama's election?? Why then, should there be an issue about the color of her designer, makeup artist or hair stylist. Whatever?! Aren't we trying to get beyond this?

Yes, this was a moment in history that was not just "our moment" as Eele put it, it was a moment for the world as a whole, for our country, for hope, for change. Let's get past the nitty gritty of the color of the designer -- since that is exactly what we are trying to get away from shall we?

next: Will Mom of Eight Ever Sleep Again?
Anonymous January 27, 2009, 4:57 PM

the Black Artists Association is making this about race…and it shouldn’t be. aren’t we living in 2009? obama was voted in office, which i think proves that we have moved past these times. who cares who she chose to wear…..the designer could have been green with pink polka dots and i wouldn’t care.

madlibrarian January 27, 2009, 5:04 PM

Why did she even need a designer, she could have just picked something off the rack. Did the american taxpayers pay for those dresses, I hope not.

Spookygirl January 27, 2009, 5:18 PM

Ugh, really?? Does it matter who the designer was?

madlibrarian - Umm, no, taxpayers actually pay for very few presidential perks, they even pay for their own food and toiletries in the white house…

Natalie January 27, 2009, 5:21 PM

This statement is completely rediculous. She chose the clothes that she liked, not because of who the designer is. Honestly, that was a very racist comment. It’s not all about black people, it’s about the USA as a whole. I voted for Obama, and I’m VERY excited that he’s president. I did NOT vote for him because he’s black, but because of his poitics. Him being in office is a HUGE step forward for the black community, but this comment is a bit of a step back.

Cheryl January 27, 2009, 5:51 PM

I say SHE is VERY VERY VERY VERY PRETTY and u should say back things about her and her dress growUPPPPPPPPPPP

Allison January 27, 2009, 6:00 PM

I am a black woman and I feel that her choices of clothing were great! She looked gorgeous! If she made a political statement by wearing her choices, so be it! The black designers wanted her to wear baby phat crap? rockawear crap??? some urban ghetto crap??

Erica January 27, 2009, 6:22 PM

Isn’t her hair dresser black??

jackei January 27, 2009, 6:53 PM

omg that is ridiculous! I can’t believe they’d make an issue over the color of her dress designer! “THIS IS OUR MOMENT?” HUH??????? that makes me sick, i’m sorry to say.
This is an important time for the whole world, not just for one particular race. I thought we were past that.

anoy January 27, 2009, 7:25 PM

This is America’s moment. I think they just want to exploit the First Family for their own profit. Come on! That is just wrong!

Blinky St. James January 27, 2009, 9:57 PM

I agree…this was about the whole of America, and Michelle Obama can wear what she wants, no matter who made it!

lauren January 27, 2009, 10:11 PM

What? Who cares who made her dress?? Doesn’t america have enough problems? Is this really going to be an issue? Wow. Wow. Wow.

wow.

crystal January 27, 2009, 10:19 PM

She still looked like a monkey.

crystal January 27, 2009, 10:22 PM

She still looked like a monkey.

danielle January 27, 2009, 11:39 PM

I think this event was HUGE in the black community. There hasn’t been a black president and after years of slavery followed by unbelievable racism, which still exists today in this country, a black man is president. That is why many black people feel as though this is “our moment”. That being said, Michelle Obama doesn’t owe anyone anything and she can wear whatever she wants.

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:43 PM

I think the Oscar de la renta dress would have been better

anony January 28, 2009, 12:45 AM

I thought the point of voting a biracial man into the office of president was that our nation has moved passed racism…. Well the fact is simply this… the tables have turned. Obama was voted in because the white majority was able to see past his skin color HOWEVER black people are still racist against non-blacks… this is proven by the kinds of comments that are made by leaders of the black community including the Black Artist Association. You can say that I’m overreacting but if a white organization had said that Laura Bush should have worn a dress by a white designer there would have been a very loud outcry of racism by many .

tia January 28, 2009, 3:09 AM

I agree with the entire statement above especially about some of the leaders/ people in black communities and also the white designer for Laura Bush. I am a 28 year old black female who is also a wife, mother, and business owner who lives in the south. Most of the racism or “represent your people” problems I have encountered over the years have been with my own race! Some people of my race do make things into big issues when they don’t need to be. I am personally appalled that they would make such a big deal over this. Bottom line is she wore the designer and outfits that she liked!!!!! She should not have to make a decision with the weight of the black community on her shoulders. If I’m ever given a history making moment I’d love to wear Roberto Cavalli, Monique Lhuillier or Badgley Mischka; because I LOVE their dresses! SO, I just eliminated thousands of designers not just black/african american ones! I think she represented herself, family and the other first ladies before her with respect and elegance. CoCo Chanel and Jackie O would be proud!

Sara January 28, 2009, 7:33 AM

You all must be kidding, her choice of dresses for the Inaugural ceremony and ball were terrible, no matter who designed them. The dress Bama momma wore the next day, that black and white one looked like draperies from one of the 100 or so rooms in the White House, was just as uguly.

Sara January 28, 2009, 7:37 AM

Comparing Bama Mamma to Jackie O and CoCo Chanel is ABSURD. They are turning over in their graves.

chris January 28, 2009, 10:34 AM

This is stupid and just what I expected to happen. Now everything will be a black/white issue and I fear that talk like this will divide people even more.
I didn’t vote for Obama and to tell the truth to this day I still don’t know where he stands on many issues but no one seems to care about that - all any one can talk about is him being the first black president. I wish I could believe that this country voted for him because he was the best choice and not just because of his skin color but I don’t believe that to be true. To say the MLK were be so proud about this may not be true. He didn’t want ANYONE to be judge by their skin color and I don’t think he meant that if they are black we should ignore every thing else about them and support someone just because they are black. That to me is just reverse racism.