A Mom's Post-Inauguration Thoughts

Will yesterday be a day you remember for the rest of your life?

obama inauguration
Guest blogger Leslie Adler: What will you remember about Inauguration Day? What will be your personal "take away"?

Like our parents remember certain days in history and can tell us exactly where they were and what they were doing, what details will you remember? What will you say about this day to your kids?

Will you remember the two million faces in Washington full of hope and the mass of bodies that seem to be floating on promise?

Will you remember the tears that flowed down the cheeks of those overcome with emotion about our country's ability to change and because they have lived to see the first African American president?

Will you remember the feeling of pride you had that day, that felt greater than any other day, to be an American?

Will you remember what Michelle wore? To the swearing in? To the presidential balls?

Will you one day tell your grandkids you remember what Sasha and Malia wore and how little they were "back then"?

I hope I will remember all those things and more.

I know I will remember that both of my children tried in earnest to convince me they should be allowed to stay home from school to watch the events of this historic day; that thankfully, it was broadcast at their schools and that each of them snuck me a text message while watching.

From Max: "This is sick!"
From Sydney: "It is so awesome!"

And I will remember, with a smile on my face, that when my children were 11 and 14, they understood the impact of this election and the significance of this day and they each took time, in their own venacular, to tell me that.

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America." - Barack Obama, 44th and 1st

What will you remember?

next: I Choose Hope...
Roger January 21, 2009, 9:24 AM

The bye bye video of the child is a disgusting video and shame on the stupid parent that allowed it to be done with their child. Its the wrong message to give to your parents. Also, politically, would that have been acceptable about Bill Clinton of his many failures.?

California conservative January 21, 2009, 9:29 AM

Nice anti-American, intolerant and hateful web site. Very classy. I expect nothing less from a liberal who obviously hates her country. Sadly, your children may grow up to hate America as well, unless they wake up and realize how they have been taught to hate during their upbringing. I have news for you. Your guy won. Who are you going to blame now when things go wrong?

Terri January 21, 2009, 9:44 AM

Though this event is historic, what I will remember is that a President was elected “Because” of the color of his skin, and not the content of his “Character” Have we forgotten being lectured as children about the guilt by “Association” you know the speech given by our parents, teachers and law enforcement when we hung around with the wrong crowd but used the “Well I am NOT doing anything wrong reply”? What I have to wonder is if Mr. Obama was just another white man with a good oracle skills, would he be standing there yesterday, or was it the promise of giving handouts and not handsup that got him there, or was it the combination of both color and unrealistic promises? I hope I am wrong, because if not this country will drastically turn into a nation of expected entitlement more so than it is right now. Being our Brother’s keeper is the job of each of us as citizens and not the job of our government.

Lucy January 21, 2009, 10:29 AM

For me, the President’s skin color is incidental. Perhaps this is because I’m neither black nor white. And just as this color nonsense is irrelevant to me I can’t help but think that this man, who by the way is both black and white (everyone seems to forget this), is too busy with real issues to be concerned with what color he is.

Steph January 21, 2009, 10:40 AM

It would appear to me that this is a spot for sore losers to vent. I’m proud of what America did electing President Obama. The best reason I know to get the voters to the polls and give a voice to the mostly often silent majority, may have been a candidate who is half black and HALF WHITE. He has already done a service to a nation. Bringing people together is a Good thing.

Waiting for the real change... January 21, 2009, 11:03 AM

Since you asked, I will remember the anti-white, hate filled racist comments of Reverend Joseph Lowery During the Benediction and also the boos and disrespect of the hate filled people in the crowd when PRESIDENT Bush spoke. To me this is the day when our country became more divided then I have ever seen it in my lifetime.

Jillian January 21, 2009, 11:23 AM

I will remember 9/11 and how President Bush held our country together and kept us safe for the past 8 years.

Anonymous January 21, 2009, 11:23 AM

I agree w/ waiting for the real change

Lesle January 21, 2009, 11:32 AM

Hey waiting for real change- I agree but haven’t you realized that liberals only believe in free speech and respect when it applies to themselves. Just because Hollywood and the media blindly support Barrack Obama doesn’t mean everyone in America feels the same.

richard January 21, 2009, 12:39 PM

It is a shame that someone who hated President Bush is using their child to vent their hatred.I would did not vote for Obama for one reason ,,He has not shown that he has the experience to be our president, He will as Bill Clinton did only do what is popular and not what is in the best interest of our country. I will because I am a patriot and love my country do all I can to support our new president,After all we are supposed to be “The United States” not like many democrats who would hurt our country in order to hurt President Bush. I find that democrats have only their self interest and the heck with everyone else.God Save The United States of America.

Marquita January 21, 2009, 12:44 PM

What is wrong with everyone on this page? This suppose to be a post on positive aspects of the Inauguration and all I’ve seen is ignorance.

waiting for the real change... January 21, 2009, 1:05 PM

Positive aspects of the inauguration??? Did you get that from the vague and non-informative speech given by Obama or the hateful comments made by Rev. Lowery? Oh but Obama did give a shout out to the “Muslim World”. That was nice.

Lynn January 21, 2009, 2:28 PM

It will be more rememberable when a women is sworn in to the highest office in the land. No matter what his skin color is or who his parents were, HE IS STILL A MAN!!!!!

Ed January 21, 2009, 8:41 PM

Its dispicable that you use a child to further your far left political views. We as citizens are faced with a choice: choose satan or God. The SP attempt to change our nation is tearing it apart. I hope you liberals are proud of your selves. We are headed for civil war. I never thought I would live to see a civil war but i was wrong. Its so sad. God is going to punish us surely. THis all could have been avoided. Just think what you godless liberals have done and its impact on us as a nation. I am ready to die for my faith and cause. God help our nation.

Donna January 21, 2009, 9:38 PM

January 20, 2009
will be remembered as a snow day from school. That was the biggest event of the day and it was beautiful and enjoyed by all the local children.
Pictures were taken, memories made,
an all around beautiful day.

Anonymous January 21, 2009, 10:16 PM

to all readers concerned about our young children being exploited by videos.internet junk write in and request the removal of these videos of our babies. may be the new PRESIDENT should make internet laws to protect our children and fine these cites for publishing such videos. this child will grow up soon what will she think

Marquita January 22, 2009, 12:14 AM

Waiting for real change: Lowery said nothing hateful, the jokes he was making which you obviously failed to grasp were about an African American finally having a seat at the table as well as to poke fun at Obama’s complexion. By the way the shout out was to all, you see somewhere in your conservative only ways you should have heard him out, perhaps you fail to comprehend his metaphors. By the way the speech was very informative if you cared to listen he made a clear break from Bush policy.

waiting for the real change... January 22, 2009, 10:41 AM

What I got from the comment “…when white will do what’s right…” was not a joke. In that statement there is a connotation that white people don’t ever do the what is right. All the other, as you call them, jokes made every other race that he mentioned victims, yet somehow the, I’ll use you’re word here, joke about white people made ALL white people perpetrators. I take that as an insult. And I am SOOOOO SORRYY that you don’t. Maybe you’re not white so you don’t see it, or for that matter life, the way I do. That’s ok that we have different views. But I have to ask, would it have been ok if Lowery had said when a black man teaches his children they can…? Also, he was not talking about one specific person in that part of his speech. You can tell because he is generalizing his statements. ……………………………….. I guess you didn’t detect the hint of sarcasm in my comment “That’s nice” in regard to Obama’s shout out “to the Muslim World”. I was being sarcastic because there is not a Muslim WORLD. In fact, there are many, many countries who have people of Muslim faith and they, just like Christian, have faiths of varying degrees. Most are peaceful individuals who just want a decent place to raise their families. But our new President Obama lumped them all into one category.

Joann January 23, 2009, 2:12 PM

It is interesting reading your comments and realizing that even with a biracial president we still have this issue with race. I understand your feelings about people do not remember him as being both white and black. But I remember the presidents word
which were ” that for those who did not vote for me, I am your president also..”
That tells me is working for all of us. Not just the blacks nor the whites but for America. I am sure he will make his mistakes as every president before him and I am sure he will have his successes. But I hope we can come together as a country and work on the issues.

free acai berry trial December 3, 2010, 2:19 PM

Item Extra,end focus to nod effort share gate politics kitchen unlikely fair cover behind special function clearly home sufficient as lean drink date cry state support order agent literature though memory ourselves bag corporate fear future okay base drive protection white switch represent half activity museum middle develop contribute nation question final myself bind relation trend fear educational problem especially vast design afraid bind touch restaurant offer thing look while set trust priority condition suffer all family else restaurant near answer discuss government she career box play