You CAN Get Pregnant After Tube Tying

You've had all the children you want to have, but you don't want to have to worry about using birth control with your hot husband anymore. Well, the perfect answer is having your "tubes tied" -- or tubal ligation. You're thinking it's a relatively simple operation and you never have to worry about getting pregnant again, right? Wrong!

pregnant woman

According to CNN's Living Well Expert Dr. Jennifer Shu, there is still a chance that you can get pregnant.

Dr. Shu says: There is a very small chance of becoming pregnant after having fallopian tube sterilization. More than 1 million women have the procedure each year, and according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the risk of getting pregnant is less than 1%.

Tubal sterilization aims to prevent pregnancy by blocking an egg and sperm from meeting in the fallopian tube. The procedure may include either cutting and removing a portion of the tubes, using an electric current to burn (cauterize) part of the tubes, sealing off the tubes with a ring or clip, or inserting an implant that creates scar tissue that will eventually block the tubes.

Depending on the type of procedure used, the sterilization may be effective right away or may take a few months to work. Sometimes, a special X-ray test called a hysteropsalpingogram must be performed to make sure the tubes are completely blocked.

If a pregnancy does occur following tubal sterilization, it is more likely to happen if the clip method was used. The risk is also higher in women who had the sterilization done before the age of 30, as well as in women who had an implant placed but did not follow up with the X-ray test to confirm blockage of the tubes.

Pregnancies following tubal sterilization are often "ectopic," which means that the fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, most commonly in a fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancies must be treated immediately to prevent harm to the pregnant woman, so it's important to consult with an obstetrician right away if you suspect a pregnancy following tubal sterilization.

Your obstetrician can talk with you in more detail about the risks and benefits of the different types of tubal sterilization, how soon the sterilization is expected to take effect, whether back-up birth control needs to be used for a short period after the procedure, and the chances of becoming pregnant afterward for your specific situation.

Do you know of anyone who got pregnant after getting her tubes tied? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: January's Gotta-See TV
misty January 13, 2009, 3:30 AM

ok i had my tubes tied for almost 3 years it will be 3 years may 4 2009 and i had my period this month and i went for 2 days and stoped completley well the next day i started agin only this time it was a redish brown to brown color can any one help me and tell me why its this color

misty January 13, 2009, 3:34 AM

ok its me again if any one has any answers please email me at mistymcrorey@yahoo.com thanks alot

Gigohead  January 16, 2009, 1:18 PM

I think Tubal ligation was the worst decision I made. I made a haste judgement. Now I’m with a man that I love and I am trying now to undo this decision. I recently underwent surgery to open the tubes. It’s harder now to get pregnant. But I’m optimistic it will work.

ammy January 17, 2009, 2:40 PM

Giogohead , pleases let me know it you got pregnant

Angie February 11, 2009, 10:57 PM

Take a look at the site Tubal.org. It gets pretty interesting and scary at the same time.

Sherry February 16, 2009, 8:47 AM

Just this past week, my BFF called me and explained some of her symptoms and I immediately thought pregnancy. She thought since she had her tubes tied there was no chance of pregnancy. It had been over 8 years since her tubes only being tied. After getting off the phone, she got a pregnancy test and it came out positive before she even finished peeing on the stick!!! Not even 4 hours later, she was in the hospital miscarrying and having a d and c

j February 18, 2009, 4:34 PM

i got sterilised in 2001 im 40yrs old i have 3 children but now ive missed a period and im scared

Fella February 20, 2009, 10:02 AM

I got my tubes tied 2 years ago after having my third child and I am now pregnant again. First thought that it was ectopic and I was immediately sent to the emergency room. However after ultrasound, it was found that the baby was in the UTERUS. I am not sure what procedure the doctor used but I was told that if it was the clip method, that I had a high chance of getting pregnant. is it possible that if I had this baby, could I get pregnant again in the uterus.

Classies March 3, 2009, 3:19 PM

My doctor told me that, because I had 4 c-section that I cant have anymore babies because my 4 baby could have damage my cervix, so I got my tubes tired, burn, and clip when I had my 4 child but my kids father was away now that he’s home he wants another child, it is a BIG issuse in our relationship that he wants more kids and this is something I got done with out he’s knowlege, not only that I got all girls and I do want a boy, Is their any way that I could get this un-done so we can have another child? Please help 33yr old/4 kids….

Tess March 4, 2009, 9:37 AM

I was sterilized 8 and a half years ago. I am 32 years old. I am two weeks late for my period. I did a Preggy test on Saturday - which was negative. My question is should i wait and do another Preggy test this coming Saturday (they will be a week apart then) and if its still negative and I have still not started my period should i be worried and if so what should my major concerns be.

TJ March 5, 2009, 7:13 AM

I have also had 4 children by c-section and was sterilzed when my daughter was taken out of the womb. i have had experiences of very late periods and feeling pregnant also, just to find out im not. it just reminds me what a bad decision this really was, my partner would love another baby as the children are growing so fast. although i avaoid talking about it i do too. i dont know if i was cut or clipped, but i am doing my homework. good luck all.

susie March 25, 2009, 11:50 AM

l am over 12 days late from my period lm 43 have had my tubes burnt more then 15yrs ago what the hell is going on

susie March 25, 2009, 11:53 AM

l think stress will kill us when we have our lives in order and this happens thinking we are pregnant l;m thinking a blood test is the answer

Salina March 31, 2009, 7:43 PM

Okay I had my tubes tied in 2007 I was 23 at the time. Now my period is late. Can I be pregnant. Am 25 now

Jamie April 2, 2009, 8:44 PM

Why on earth are doctors still using clips if their effectiveness is….. less than awesome! I had clips put on when I was 21 which was 2005. If i get pregnant I will not be so hapy at this point in my life I would be up crap creek!

veronica April 7, 2009, 4:58 PM

i have mu tube tie and burn now iam41of age i feel i think i met be pregant i feel tired all the time and sleep.

Anonymous April 9, 2009, 3:06 PM

i had my tubes clipped after i had my second child. He is goin to be three years old. I am alte on my period. Kan i be pregnant?

Brandy April 10, 2009, 2:09 PM

I had my tubes tied after my 4th child almost 11 years ago. The past month i have felt like i was pregant. The signs im having are the same i had with all the other kids i have.
I took home test and blood test a week apart. They both were neg. The dr. dont what could be cause the feelings. He is running test next week to see.

Betty April 13, 2009, 9:52 AM

I have been having a lot of symptoms also of being pregnant. I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. I a 26 and in college I really do not want anymore kids, the two I have now are already a big handfull it is like having 6 kids in the house now. I have been really fatigued, getting sick quite a bit and at the time for my period all I am doing is spotting this month, which happend with both of my other kids. I don’t know if I am pregnant but if not then what in the hell is going on with my body. I am too young for it to be menopause.

R. Lynn April 13, 2009, 5:46 PM

This past week I have been feeling pregnancy symptoms. I had my tubes tied about two years ago. Im not sure of the method that was done. I was wondering if anyone knew of the probabilty chances of still getting pregnant and it not being a tubal pregnancy. If anyone has any answers please send me an email at rachelhillis85@live.com.