You CAN Get Pregnant After Tube Tying

You've had all the children you want to have, but you don't want to have to worry about using birth control with your hot husband anymore. Well, the perfect answer is having your "tubes tied" -- or tubal ligation. You're thinking it's a relatively simple operation and you never have to worry about getting pregnant again, right? Wrong!

pregnant woman

According to CNN's Living Well Expert Dr. Jennifer Shu, there is still a chance that you can get pregnant.

Dr. Shu says: There is a very small chance of becoming pregnant after having fallopian tube sterilization. More than 1 million women have the procedure each year, and according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the risk of getting pregnant is less than 1%.

Tubal sterilization aims to prevent pregnancy by blocking an egg and sperm from meeting in the fallopian tube. The procedure may include either cutting and removing a portion of the tubes, using an electric current to burn (cauterize) part of the tubes, sealing off the tubes with a ring or clip, or inserting an implant that creates scar tissue that will eventually block the tubes.

Depending on the type of procedure used, the sterilization may be effective right away or may take a few months to work. Sometimes, a special X-ray test called a hysteropsalpingogram must be performed to make sure the tubes are completely blocked.

If a pregnancy does occur following tubal sterilization, it is more likely to happen if the clip method was used. The risk is also higher in women who had the sterilization done before the age of 30, as well as in women who had an implant placed but did not follow up with the X-ray test to confirm blockage of the tubes.

Pregnancies following tubal sterilization are often "ectopic," which means that the fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, most commonly in a fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancies must be treated immediately to prevent harm to the pregnant woman, so it's important to consult with an obstetrician right away if you suspect a pregnancy following tubal sterilization.

Your obstetrician can talk with you in more detail about the risks and benefits of the different types of tubal sterilization, how soon the sterilization is expected to take effect, whether back-up birth control needs to be used for a short period after the procedure, and the chances of becoming pregnant afterward for your specific situation.

Do you know of anyone who got pregnant after getting her tubes tied? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: January's Gotta-See TV
vee April 15, 2009, 10:30 PM

I had my tube tied 4 months ago but noe I regretvit because I do want another child. I heard that ther is a shot that I can take to ontie my tubes. Is it true? If so does any one know the name of the shot?

Emmy April 30, 2009, 6:02 PM

I had my tubes tied after my 3rd child after 1 year ago. I’m 30 years old. The past month i have felt like I was pregant but this is too soon for me. The signs I’m having are the same I had with all the other kids I have. I’m so worried now coz I don’t want to get pregnant again. Please send me an email at emeletaylor@yahoo.com

rita yaudes May 9, 2009, 3:48 AM

yes i had my tubes ties for about 12 years now. and i missed my period march 20 was my last day that i really had one. then in april i had my period but it only lasted 3 days. but i have the sytopms of being pregant i look 3 months along, can.t fit into never of my clothes, breast are getting huge, i took a preganct at end of march and get back negative. im peeing like a race horse. i don’t know what to do.

Kia May 13, 2009, 7:00 PM

my period is usually on oint every 28 days then all of a sudden for the last 4 periods its been every 20-21 days now nothing. i am 32 yr old and had my tubes tied almost 3 1/2 years ago. docs claimed they burned the tubes. has anyone else gotten pregnant after that type of sterilazation proceedure? would be a blessing if i was pregnant but could it be possible?

AMY May 22, 2009, 8:11 PM

I A 23 AND I HAVE 3 GIRLS 6,4,AND,2 I HAD MY TUBEL DONE A FEW HOURS AFTER MY LAST BABY BUT I AM HAVING ALL THE SYPTOMS AND I DO NOT PUT MUCH TRUST IN BLOOD TEST WITH MY LAST BABY THE BLOOD TEST SAID NEG. BUT I WAS. CAN I BE?

yessi0411 June 5, 2009, 9:19 PM

You can still get pregnant. My cousin tied her tube and 3yrs later she was prego was her 5th child…

Anonymous June 8, 2009, 10:34 AM

I’m 38 had my tubes tied 5 years ago…my period last month was only for 2 days instead of 5…have had all the systoms of my other prenancies, is it possible that I’m pregnant?

Stephanie June 9, 2009, 12:42 AM

I’m 27, my kids are 9, 7, 2, and 7 months. I had my tubes tied on january 15th of this year and my period hasn’t been normal sence….should I be worried?

michelle June 9, 2009, 9:45 PM

I am 30 years old and i have two children. I had my tubes tied in 2003. i thought they cut and tied them but when i called my Dr. to find out she told me i just had them tied not cut and tied. Ive been having signs of pregancy and each month i start my period earlier and earlier. What could this be please help! Thanks

michelle June 9, 2009, 9:50 PM

pamelar June 11, 2009, 4:18 PM

Well I have had my tubes tied 91/2 years. I have a flishe clip on. I had menstral twice in may. This was very odd for me, never had this before. Also I’m having bad headaches very fatigue and sleepy and also eating a lot. Bad leg cramps and moody. Don’t know what’s wrong. Took preg test last week and it was neg. My dr did pelvic ultrasound and she didn’t see anything. She stated that its probably to soon. Can someone please help!

nandy June 11, 2009, 7:10 PM

hello anyone can u help me
iam 49 years old .15 years ago i had my tube done and know i just got married again and really want a baby with my husband.can it be possible.and also my period has stop
havent had my period for 4 months
is there anything that can be done for me or is to late
i have 4 children from my first marriage
.my husband never had any children

kristine June 12, 2009, 8:43 PM

Hello I have 4 children and when I was 27 I had my tubes tied. all my children were born by c-section. I had to have a D&C back on 4-11-09 because I was having vaginal bleeding. well the last day I had any type of bleeding was 4-18-09. I didnt have a period in may and I havent had one in june. could it be possible for me to be pregnant. I am tired and have all the pregnancy symptoms. I am going to wait to do a pregnancy test until next week. by the way I am 38 and it has been almost 11 years since I had my tubes tied.

sofie June 13, 2009, 11:51 AM

im a 48 yrs i had my tubes clipped 17 years ago ive had a scan and they said i was 5 weeks pregnant with twins

dd June 18, 2009, 9:33 AM

I am 46 years old and have had 3 kids by the time I was 30. My youngest son is gping to be 17 next month. I had all of my kids c-section, and when I had my last son, I had my tubes tied. Here it is 17 years later, just about-and I am going on my second month of having no period. I just took a home pregnancy test twice, and it comes back not pregnant. However, my belly seems to be getting slightly larger, it is noticeable. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what this may be, aside from going to the Dr.?
Thanks-dd

johanna June 22, 2009, 2:21 AM

i hav 5kids & im 28yrs old after my 5th child i had my tubes tied and tat was 3yrs ago now i feel and r gettin symtoms like im prego i did get my period but its been 3wks since then & since ive startd feeling like this?? what r the chances the preg will b ectopic???

Anonymous June 25, 2009, 4:24 PM

i had my tube tied about 9 years ago and im 37 years old and want a baby so bad…what treatment would i have 2 do so i can have another baby.

Jqeivpwy June 30, 2009, 6:39 AM

wE8SZr comment4 ,

Mom2GirlsWantingABoy July 9, 2009, 11:43 PM

Ok im a mom of two girls i had c-section with both my youngest is 4yrs old she was born in 2005 . i had my tubes tied during the c-section at the time i was 23 im 28 now an last month in june i was 5days late an only went for 1-2day very light an the 2 months before it was like that an i keep having signs of being pregnant but im not sure if i am i would love to have another baby has there been anyone who has had a baby since they had there tubes tied during a c-section

Miracle July 22, 2009, 11:18 AM

I’m currently 18 years old and I was born a year after my Mum got her tubes tied! I am so happy to be on this Earth and this miracle makes me feel that I am meant to do something of importance with my life.