You CAN Get Pregnant After Tube Tying

You've had all the children you want to have, but you don't want to have to worry about using birth control with your hot husband anymore. Well, the perfect answer is having your "tubes tied" -- or tubal ligation. You're thinking it's a relatively simple operation and you never have to worry about getting pregnant again, right? Wrong!

pregnant woman

According to CNN's Living Well Expert Dr. Jennifer Shu, there is still a chance that you can get pregnant.

Dr. Shu says: There is a very small chance of becoming pregnant after having fallopian tube sterilization. More than 1 million women have the procedure each year, and according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the risk of getting pregnant is less than 1%.

Tubal sterilization aims to prevent pregnancy by blocking an egg and sperm from meeting in the fallopian tube. The procedure may include either cutting and removing a portion of the tubes, using an electric current to burn (cauterize) part of the tubes, sealing off the tubes with a ring or clip, or inserting an implant that creates scar tissue that will eventually block the tubes.

Depending on the type of procedure used, the sterilization may be effective right away or may take a few months to work. Sometimes, a special X-ray test called a hysteropsalpingogram must be performed to make sure the tubes are completely blocked.

If a pregnancy does occur following tubal sterilization, it is more likely to happen if the clip method was used. The risk is also higher in women who had the sterilization done before the age of 30, as well as in women who had an implant placed but did not follow up with the X-ray test to confirm blockage of the tubes.

Pregnancies following tubal sterilization are often "ectopic," which means that the fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, most commonly in a fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancies must be treated immediately to prevent harm to the pregnant woman, so it's important to consult with an obstetrician right away if you suspect a pregnancy following tubal sterilization.

Your obstetrician can talk with you in more detail about the risks and benefits of the different types of tubal sterilization, how soon the sterilization is expected to take effect, whether back-up birth control needs to be used for a short period after the procedure, and the chances of becoming pregnant afterward for your specific situation.

Do you know of anyone who got pregnant after getting her tubes tied? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: January's Gotta-See TV
Gigohead  August 13, 2009, 9:29 AM

Just wanted to give everyone an update:

I am pregnant and expecting a little boy in October. I was able to conceive in February thanks to tubal ligation reversal surgery

Conserned MOM August 18, 2009, 9:28 PM

I am a concerned mother, who has her tubes cut, when I was 24, I have not had my period for two months. I do get cramps and I had spotting for two days and went away. Could I be pregnant?

anon September 1, 2009, 3:52 PM

i had my tubes tied 8 years ago with clps, iv just misscarried due to extreem stress. it can happen but rare.

sonya September 7, 2009, 9:47 PM

Im 26 and ive had my tubes tied for over 3 years now.I have 4 kids and never experienced bleeding if im pregnant. my lmp was july 31 and i was 8 days late win i started spotting dark blood which is now bright pink …i took a pregnancy test 3 or 4 days after my missed period and it was a really faint negative…ive ben spotting for three days now and only using pantyliners…now win i wipe im barely wiping any blood…my breast are bigger and fuller and tender from time to time…im havin headaches and dizzy spells…i smell everything…i jus need sum feedback because im having a hard time believing this is possible and my boyfriend is positive that there is no chance that i can be pregnant

tylinn September 13, 2009, 9:06 PM

With most of the procedures that they use in “tying tubes” it is possible to still get pregnant later on in life, usually after about 7yrs. It is however more difficult to become pregnant after the procedure. When I was younger I recall one of my aunts had her tubes tied and when she found out she was pregnant thought it was immpossible and that was what her doctor told her.

jas October 1, 2009, 2:53 PM

i had a sterlization over 17 yrs ago and my periods have been irregular ever since , altho i had a period last month my breasts have been tender for weeks and i look pregnant , ive taken a test but was negative what is the possibility of me being pregnant ?

mayra October 7, 2009, 8:01 PM

I had my tubes cut n burn at 21 right after having a long n very dramatic pregnancy n Im 27 i have 2 boys n really want another baby ! I made a wrong decision! I need help!!! (artiguen@bellsouth.net)

Jen October 26, 2009, 9:27 PM

I had my tubes tied when I was 20. I had only one child. I just got remarried after divorcing my sons father more than 14 years ago and Im desperate to get pregnant again. How expensive is invetro.? I am 35 and need to move fast if possible.

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 11:10 AM

i had my tubes tied last year an im freaking out because i think im pregnant again.. i didnt have my period this month i took a pregnacy test an it said positive but i dont wanna believe it what should i do???… somebody???

ashley October 31, 2009, 1:07 PM

im having headaches,dizzyness,peeing alot,HEARTBURN like crazy, I had my tubes tied after my second child was born.I cant wear my pants that i have ive been having to wear loose pants bc the pressure agaisnt my stomach hurts, My lower back hurts, really bad,Ive been really sleepy alot here lately..I dont know whats going on, I have my period the first week of every month, i havent bought a test yet bc im waiting to see if it starts but it just bothers me…

ashley November 3, 2009, 7:14 AM

iam a 26 year old mother of three i got my tubes tied a little over a year a ago and i have missed my period and feeling sick so worried about being prego.

debbie November 11, 2009, 7:13 PM

i have three children but i had my two girls first then after my second girl i had my tubes done then 2inahalf years later i got pregnant with my third child he is a boy i need to know if i can get pregnant again please help me i just got remarried and we want to have one more baby because he dont have any children and we love children so please help us thank you deb

quida November 27, 2009, 6:40 PM

I have two kids age 4 and 2 and i had my tube tied in 2007 and know i got the feeling that iam pregnant in the tube can’t be possible though but iam having them symptoms and i dont really know yet but kinda scared at the same time.

becki November 27, 2009, 11:17 PM

I had my tubes tied a different way the Doc. told me they tied my tubes in a knot from the inside an that was it…I’ve been having PG sympotoms I already have a 4yr old an a 1yr old…

becki November 27, 2009, 11:31 PM

Where they tied my tubes from the inside they did it right after my c-section an that was in 2008..The Doc keeps tellin me there was no way that I could get PG but all the PG symotioms I’m having are the same when I was PG…So I don’t kno

Laura January 2, 2010, 2:04 PM

Im 28 and i have three kids. I had my tubes tied in 2007. Not sure what method was used. I haven’t had a perion for 4 months and feel like im pregnant. Im even producing colustrum. Im tired, cranky, feel bloated but i took home preg test and they both said negative. I don’t see how I could be pregnant I mean given a less than 1% chance. I secertly wish I was, and so does my hsband. But I refuse to let myself think I am because im afraid of a major let down!!!! :( wish I knew what my body was up to.

Anonymous January 6, 2010, 6:40 PM

I HAD MY TUBES TIED 5 YEARS AGO AND IM FEELING PREGNACY SYMPTOMS…AFTER MY LAST PERIOD I HAD PINKISH FLUID COMING OUT.COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS.

Daisy January 24, 2010, 10:02 PM

I don’t want to get my tubes tied, I’m pregnant with my 4th pregnancy, I miscarried my first child and I have two beautiful daughters and I haven’t found out the sex of the one I’m carrying now. I’m 25yrs old and my mom wants me to get my tubes tied and says that they will come undone in about 5 years.. I don’t like birth control pills because I forget to take them and well I lose track of months for the depo shot which I will never go threw again. But I would like some feed back from other females who have got their tubes tied and that truely didn’t want to get them tied.

angie  January 26, 2010, 9:25 PM

I made the worse decission of my life after a year i regret doing it i had my tubes tied well come to find out when i called my doc they cut out a section of my tubes has anybody ever got pregnant after them cutting out a section please somebody get back with me

Florence February 1, 2010, 3:35 PM

i had my tubes tied 5years ago. But now i want to have another baby. How can i achieve it? Is IVF a possible route? I do not want to do operation may be to open it. Does IVF involve any operation!