You CAN Get Pregnant After Tube Tying

You've had all the children you want to have, but you don't want to have to worry about using birth control with your hot husband anymore. Well, the perfect answer is having your "tubes tied" -- or tubal ligation. You're thinking it's a relatively simple operation and you never have to worry about getting pregnant again, right? Wrong!

pregnant woman

According to CNN's Living Well Expert Dr. Jennifer Shu, there is still a chance that you can get pregnant.

Dr. Shu says: There is a very small chance of becoming pregnant after having fallopian tube sterilization. More than 1 million women have the procedure each year, and according to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the risk of getting pregnant is less than 1%.

Tubal sterilization aims to prevent pregnancy by blocking an egg and sperm from meeting in the fallopian tube. The procedure may include either cutting and removing a portion of the tubes, using an electric current to burn (cauterize) part of the tubes, sealing off the tubes with a ring or clip, or inserting an implant that creates scar tissue that will eventually block the tubes.

Depending on the type of procedure used, the sterilization may be effective right away or may take a few months to work. Sometimes, a special X-ray test called a hysteropsalpingogram must be performed to make sure the tubes are completely blocked.

If a pregnancy does occur following tubal sterilization, it is more likely to happen if the clip method was used. The risk is also higher in women who had the sterilization done before the age of 30, as well as in women who had an implant placed but did not follow up with the X-ray test to confirm blockage of the tubes.

Pregnancies following tubal sterilization are often "ectopic," which means that the fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, most commonly in a fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancies must be treated immediately to prevent harm to the pregnant woman, so it's important to consult with an obstetrician right away if you suspect a pregnancy following tubal sterilization.

Your obstetrician can talk with you in more detail about the risks and benefits of the different types of tubal sterilization, how soon the sterilization is expected to take effect, whether back-up birth control needs to be used for a short period after the procedure, and the chances of becoming pregnant afterward for your specific situation.

Do you know of anyone who got pregnant after getting her tubes tied? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: January's Gotta-See TV
mommyof5 February 23, 2010, 1:03 PM

To Laura did you find out if you are pregnant? I’ve been feeling the same way i have 5 kids after 5th had c-section tubes tied not sure of type but 2 weeks ago breast are tender having cramping then had what i thought was period but was light and lasted 2days and periods are usually very heavy and last 5-6 days i still feel like im prego though so confused.

deb  February 28, 2010, 2:41 PM

hi i had myself sterilised about 10 years ago i am with my second husband my first two daughters are now grown up and we have decided we would like another child how is this possible

Suzanne April 9, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hello I am 33 years old and a mother to three beautiful daughters. I had my tubal ligation on January 7, 2006. I have always had regular periods every 28 days. I was supposed to start Easter Sunday that was 6 days ago, no period yet, I had the symtpoms of PMS, I am tired and my breasts hurt. I no there is no way I could be pregnant this is just crazy!

Laura April 19, 2010, 11:50 AM

Well I have 3 girls of my own and 2 step girls I also had mine tied and clip or what have ya but, im 15 days late staying moody and my lower back hurts..don’t know if i’m pregnant or not…but ever since i had my tubes tied my eneergy lvl has not been the same and i stay tired and things what could be the cause of all this?

hope elliott  June 20, 2010, 9:23 PM

im 44 yr.old with 3 sons 21-20-18 i had my tubs tried,burn,and clip for 18 year .i been feeling sick.could i be pregnant

Mirielle July 9, 2010, 9:00 AM

I had my tubes tied in Aug 2008. And I have the classic pregnancy symptoms. I had nausea all week last week, this week I started vomiting. I also have lower back pain and dizziness. I took two hmp tests and they both came out negative. Anyone experienced this and found out of they were pregnant? and if not pregnant what might have been the cause of the symptoms?

elley July 9, 2010, 9:33 PM

i am 34 yr.old and mother of 2 beatiful little girls.i had my tubes tied when i gave birth to my now 2 yr.old daughter iv been feeling sick but i have a week stomach anyway so i thought nothing of it i have not missed a period infact it came early this mounth by 2 weeks but it was far frm.normal i normally go 3 days very heavy but i went 5 days pretty much spotting and my stomach is swollen ,i never thought prego.because i didnt think it possible but now im starting to wonder i may buy over the counter test for my husband needs to ease his mind.not sure what ill do if its positive.but i am defently making a app.with the gyno.doc. i sugest the same for all you worried moms.because my mother did indeed get pregnant after having her tubes tied.she lost the baby because she didnt get to a doc.in time.

mary July 12, 2010, 12:18 PM

I am 24 I have kids after I had my twins in march 2010 I had my tubes tied and burned, I’m worried cuz I’m 2 wks late* I soo hope I’m not prego

Reese July 14, 2010, 9:02 PM

I had Tub Tie March 31 2009. It pass year and month. It start July 2010 it pink spot ever missing period last time was June 4th ever since. I was up and down feel sick and tired. I don’t know I just hope I don’t want pregnant again I had 4 kids that all.

JENIFER July 24, 2010, 11:05 PM

I am a mother of three.I also had my tubes tied after my daughter was born almost 4 years ago.I haven’t really had a period,or cramps.I told my doctor to tie,burn,whatever he had to do,that i wasn’t having anymore kids.I don’t know exactly what he did,I never thought about asking him,but seeing this,maybe i need to.I heard that a woman can still get pregnant,but I don’t believe it.

Elizabeth July 29, 2010, 12:07 AM

So I had my tubes tied, clipped and burnt 10 years ago. I’m newly remarried and we would like to have a baby. I want to only try the natural way and am curious as to my odds on becoming pregnant. I had a c-section when they did the procedure. Anything is helpful!

source August 7, 2010, 8:39 PM

i got my tubes tyed never burned.it been 17yrs i feel like im am but cant say.

DORA October 12, 2010, 12:58 PM

I have had my tubes tried for 4yrs after my twins could I get pregnancy or could I already be pregnancy my breast are very sorry.

anonymous October 23, 2010, 12:03 PM

i am 32 years old missed 1 period should have had second period last week. had my tubes tied 5 years ago, cut and burned. home pregnancy test negative and doctor did blood work 2 weeks ago also says negative. what wrong with me.

jennifer October 25, 2010, 9:21 AM

ive had my tubes tied over five years ago and i spotted pink two days ago and after that next day no period. i think im pregnant but took a pregnancy test but was neg. im tired alot and always hungry i feel my body very weird maybe i should wait but i really want to be pregnant, is it just all in my mind and im not pregnant?????

kim October 25, 2010, 9:15 PM

well i have a 13 year old and twins thats 9. I am 34. I got my tubes, tie, clip and burned at the age of 25. My cycle is do in 24 hours. I been normal every since i started my cycle every 28days but whats killing me is that i dont have any signs of my cycle coming on at all. No spots no pain and my pee is clear. There is only 6days left in this month. The only times i missed my cycle is if i was pregnant. I won’t panic just yet

Kat October 29, 2010, 9:50 AM

HI Im 50 I had my tubes tied about 12 years ago. I have never missed a period. I am having all the signs of being pregnant for the last 4-5 weeks. I took a HPT about a month ago. it was neg. Im afraid to take another one. But i may. anyone else out there who has gotten preg,, after tubes tied.

Carmina Yonts November 16, 2010, 5:58 AM

5 * post

anonymous  November 29, 2010, 11:44 AM

I had my tubes tied almost 2yrs ago I have had 4 c sections I’m only 25 and I recently got divorced. Can I get pregnant again if I wanted in the future if i remarried..

marilyn December 10, 2010, 1:09 AM

I am 25 with two kids and married for 9 years. Got my tubal 4 years ago. Last two months shorter periods and bleeding right after sex. Could I be?