Sanjaya's Album: Not as Bad as We Thought

The "American Idol" alum most famous for his outrageous hair-dos, Sanjaya Malakar, is releasing his first album with a book to accompany it. Check out a sample of the sound. Is it what you expected?

sanjaya

The pony-hawk-sporting 'Idol' cast-off's album is called "Dancing To The Music In My Head." His book, which shares the same title, is being published by Pocket Books and is described as a memoir.

"Sanjaya takes readers back to where it all began," reads the book's official press release. "Sanjaya treats readers to a behind-the-scenes look at his unlikely rise to fame on one of the biggest shows on television." Among his revelations are:

• A step-by-step recount of his audition process and week-by-week analysis of his time on the show
  • Pointers and inspiration from musical mentors Diana Ross and Jennifer Lopez
  • The ponyhawk: did consecutive ponytails save him from elimination?
  • "J," the anti-fan who went on a 16-day hunger strike to vote Sanjaya off
  • Ashley Ferl, and why she couldn't stop crying during Sanjaya's performances.
sanjayas album

Here are some samples of the album's sounds. Is it just us, or does "A Quintessential Lullaby" have some potential?

"A Guy Like Me"

"I Got It For You"

"A Quintessential Lullaby"

"Rainy Days"

"Tell Me Who I am"

The album will be available on the Simon & Schuster website on January 20th, to coincide with the book's release. Will you buy it?

next: My Baby Prefers My Hubby and I Hate It!
Faiqa January 6, 2009, 7:52 PM

No. I admire that he’s put himself out there. But… no.

grace January 7, 2009, 12:00 PM

Yes, I Already preordered his book ,I’m looking forward to his EP!
Quintessentail lullaby And A Guy Like me sound Really good LIVE ,check it out on youtube,

Simon January 7, 2009, 2:22 PM

I’m certainly going to buy the album when it comes out, and have already put my order in for the book. In these tough times we need more Sanjaya!

chris January 8, 2009, 8:41 PM

Go Sanjaya, I think you should focus on your positives, we wish you the best!!!

Jenny January 11, 2009, 9:19 AM

I ordered the book and it should arrive soon. Sanjaya is a wonderful singer and performer; his live shows have been impressive. I am looking forward to the release of his EP and now I am enjoying all the variety of the songs in the previews.

cutabvthe January 13, 2009, 4:35 AM

I want to know where to buy the book,and albumn in person.I don’t like to order online.Hooray for Sanjaya,and good luck too. We love you.

maddyl January 18, 2009, 6:16 PM

Great stuff. Glad he finally did it. Good luck Sanjaya! Looking forward to buying it - great voice

Munama February 13, 2009, 8:34 PM

I love Sanjaya and I think he is a positive role model and there can not be too many of those.

wanda ayala April 12, 2009, 3:20 AM

sanjaya sounds good im happy for him where can i buy the cd. also i name my son after him and hes my hero and because of sanjaya i lerned not to give up and not let anyone put me down thank you sanjaya and good luck

download full movies September 11, 2010, 9:26 PM

Stumbled into this internet site by chance but I’m sure glad I clicked on that link. You really answered all the questions I’ve been dying to answer for some time now. Will really come back for far more of this. Thank you so much