Single Mom's Open Letter to Ann Coulter

Read it and weep!

Ann Coulter went on the "Today" show this morning claiming the world's problems can all be traced back to single mothers.

Guest blogger Single Mom Seeking fires back.

Dear Ann,

Do you mind if I call you by first name? I wouldn't want to insult you. After all, I'm a single mom and the cause of every societal problem out there today.

It's clear that you've studied us for years, with all those surveys you compiled for your recent book, "Guilty: Liberal 'Victims' and Their Assault on America."

But I'm not sure how many of us you've spoken to in real life?

I just watched your interview on the "Today" show with Matt Lauer. He read your excerpt:

"Look at any societal problem, and it is a problem of single motherhood."

When Lauer referred to your claim as "outrageous," you replied:

"It's not outrageous, it's a fact."

"Do you think that EVERY society problem is due to single mothers?" Lauer asked.

Maybe not every problem, but most. You went on to explain that single moms -- by giving birth to "illegitimate babies... being raised without fathers" -- are responsible for daily murders and rapes, as well as 70% of the men in prison.

Oh, you poor thing.

You must be really suffering since Barack Obama -- who was raised by a single mom -- won our presidential election. It's too bad you can't go back to the days of Dan Quayle, when he attacked "Murphy Brown," the sitcom, for featuring a lead character who decided to become a single mom.

You two would have been quite a pair, with all of your scapegoating of single mothers.

But getting back to the "Today" show ... can I just add I love your black boots? I have a pair of those, too. I love my black boots, don't you?

Single moms do wear black boots, you know. We also love men and family.

You've blamed us for "an endless attack on the nuclear family," but if you took the time to actually talk to us, you'd realize that most of us dream about going "nuclear."
Many of us were married once. Many of us even dream about finding perfect, faultless husbands one day.

In the meantime, we're working for a living, paying the bills, and raising some smart kids. You should come and see us sometime.

Sincerely,

Single Mom Seeking

next: Lisa Rinna: "I Looked Like a Freak"
Michelle Fears January 7, 2009, 4:03 PM

I don’t even acknowledge anything that comes out of her mouth anymore. I used to get a chuckle out of her because she was funny-even though a bit harsh. Now I see her for what she is, an angry, lonely, blowhard. That’s all

Kendall January 7, 2009, 4:07 PM

I don’t know what to say that, as whatever I would want to would be quite inflammatory towards Coulter.

Actually I do know what to say.

I pity you ma’am.

Katherine (SOLO dot MOM) January 7, 2009, 4:13 PM

Thank you Rachel for standing up for us Single Moms. How interesting that she would try to generalize all the problems in the world and come up with one significant cause… (single moms). Wow with that kind of power, what else can we do?

Kim Rowley January 7, 2009, 4:24 PM

Great post Rachel! I watched that today and immediately tweeted…

@todayshow Ann Coulter is not making any friends with single mothers right now.

I am not only a single mom, but was raised by a single mom, and I think I turned out semi-okay.

workout mommy January 7, 2009, 4:29 PM

wow, she just makes me SICK. I hold out hope that someday karma will come around and knock her off her high horse.

Toni January 7, 2009, 4:37 PM

Ann Coulter is just trying to stir up more business for her book. She couldnt possibly believe that as a “single” woman herself that she would be the cause of the worldly problems of that is plaguing america now as well. But really she is! If shes that worried about the murdering, rapes, the injustice of the justice syste;m, then she needs to go mentor these people instead of blame them, and im sure if we pulled up her background as well as her families she has single moms, in her family that has done well and raised well adjusted children who go into the world and become wonderful. As single mothers when we decide to become single, its probably because having that man is no longer good for our family and we want our children to be fine and know they will without them.

Obama-ite January 7, 2009, 4:48 PM

Single Mom - I pity you. It is a shame you see the world through such simplistic eyes. It is a shame that you can’t even see beyond your own self absobtion to realize that what Ann was talking about was the glorifying of single motherhood as if it were some sort of status to be achieved. It is a fact that two parent households are better for raising a child than a single parent household. Is this true in all cases? Of course not! It is, however true in the vast majority of cases. You may be an exception to the rule but, judging by your knee jerk “Ann is making me a victim again” response, I doubt it.

Keep on telling it like it is, Ann!

Tom C January 7, 2009, 4:52 PM

Well, Ann is right about the fact that most criminals are the product of single mother families.

But I guess it’s worse that she bruised your ego than we do anything to help those kids.

joe January 7, 2009, 5:00 PM

Seriously I’m not trying to stir up some argument here, but if you try listening to what she says without looking through liberal colored glasses you might find you agree with her a lot more than you think. I’m sure you are a fine person and a great mom, she does not say single parents are evil. The breakup of the American family has led to an incredible amount of heartache and if you don’t see that and how we’ve been force fed to believe otherwise then I really don’t think you are looking with open eyes. Try reading her writings don’t filter them through what other people are saying she’s saying. I guarantee you will have a different opinion if you do.
Thanks for listening

Ash January 7, 2009, 5:04 PM

Ugh, I have never known my father and I have never been in trouble. Unless we want to blame detention once or twice on that of my absence father..gaw.
Ann Coulter is nothing but the devil reincarnate put on this earth to spew forth her dastardly ideas. If there is one thing she does well, it’s stir up drama. Congrats to Ann on being so high above everyone. Congrats on figuring out the world’s problems..quick! GET THIS WOMAN THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE..

I loved this rebuttal, very classy, very funny!

TJ January 7, 2009, 5:15 PM

I would reserve opinion on this until reading the chapter. It’s really difficult to form a complete opinion off a 1:54 video. Personally, I’m not a fan of Ann Coulter and find her writing style more inflammatory than educational. But at the start of this video, it seems like the real gist of what she’s saying is that liberals exalt and glorify single parenthood when it is a serious problem with serious consequences. Now, I know full well that single parenthood does not necessarily equal prison sentences, substance abuse problems, etc. There are plenty of fine people who come from single or broken families, many in my own family. But *if* her argument is something like “we treat single parent families like Cinderella stories” and glamorize them and create a reward or entitlement system for those who make poor choices, then I think that has merit. (It actually reminds me of the commentary years ago after Pretty Woman came out about how the movie about a prostitute turned good could give people an inappropriate impression that happily-ever-after stories are likely and this kind of lifestyle is okay.)

mtm January 7, 2009, 5:46 PM

Someone got really defensive didn’t they? My whole problem with liberals is that they have made us be so politically correct in order not to hurt anyone’s feelings that we cannot even look at facts and speak them outloud without someone getting angry. You may not like what she has to say-but she has facts to back her up.

Honoree January 7, 2009, 6:07 PM

It is unfortunate that someone who has never walked in my shoes can be so judgmental and place blame. Our full penal system is not because of single moms, it is because of the choices the individuals make who are in prison. There is so much more to say, but let’s just leave it at this: so many wonderful individuals were and are being raised by single parents. Thanks, Rachel.

Sherry January 7, 2009, 6:31 PM

I’d personally love to know who we can blame for people like Ann Coulter. :D

Amanda January 7, 2009, 7:05 PM

I just want to say that though I am now married (and have been for 10 months), I was a single mother for over 10 years. My daughter who is in the 6th grade is in the GATE class (Gifted and Talented Education) and is a straight A, honor student. My son who is in the 2nd grade is at the top of his class and well on the way to following in his sister’s footsteps. Do my children sound like the stepping stones for crime in your books? Doubtful! Ann, you are nothing but a bigot. Look what your parents did to you! It is so sad! How dare you categorize single mothers and try to make them out to be monsters! What about single fathers? Are they better than us lowly single mothers are? What is so admirable about a single father that makes him different than a single mother? It is sad that you use the intelligence that God gave you to be so hateful and judgmental. It is people like you that are the TRUE evil in this world and cause chaos, bigotry and crimes against humanity!

Allyson January 7, 2009, 7:12 PM

It is interesting that she places no blame or assigns no responsibiity to the fathers of these children. I assume she grew up in a two parent famiy. I wonder where they went wrong to have a daughter with such venom.

Aurora January 7, 2009, 7:38 PM

I am what you would call a moderate conservative. I watched the segment with Lauer and Coulter. I was horrified, everytime that woman speaks I get chills. I would never take what that woman says seriously, nor would I waste my hard earned dollars on any of her books. Unfortuntely, many people believe her garbage but I am not one of them. I may not have voted for President Obama, but I for one wish him no ill will, and hope and pray he will do what is needed to get our country back on track. So, all you single woman out there raise those kids with love and caring and they will turn out just great!

Rod January 7, 2009, 7:51 PM

Coulter is recasting, in her typically bomb-throwing manner, something first encountered in a 2001 paper by economist Steven Levitt, and recounted in Leavit’s and Dubner’s book “Freakonomics.”. Levitt made the point that the reduction in crime in the 1990’s wasn’t due to the reasons claimed by many (tougher sentencing, capital punishment, better policing, tougher gun laws., etc.), but was instead due to the availability of legal abortion, which subsequently resulted in a reduced percentage of children among poor, single parents in the early days after Roe v. Wade. Childhood poverty and single-parent households “are among the strongest predictors that a child will have a criminal future.” Fewer children raised in poverty by single parents, fewer criminals, less crime. Levitt is an apolitcal wonk who simply recounted facts. He wasn’t impugning single-motherhood or poverty. He was attacked by both conservatives and liberals.

I haven’t read Coulter, and so can’t comment on her perspective beyond the obvious: She’s not going to encourage poor, single expecting mothers to terminate their pregnancies; and she’s going to beat liberals over the head with the you-destroyed-the-nuclear-family stick: Ergo, she wants to see a return to the days when a larger percentage of children were born in wedlock, and a smaller percentage of marriages ended in divorce. Her detractors will, of course, exploit both her blunt bombast and conservative solutions.

And me? I accept the stats, but know they don’t speak to individual examples. I too know saints and devils from both single and two-parent, both poor and wealthy, households. It ultimately comes down to the clear-headedness and determination in the parenting, be it by two or one.

Nitwit January 7, 2009, 7:51 PM

I have never voted for a Republican Presidential candidate, but Coulter is correct about the glorification of single moms. Women should not be glorified for giving birth out of wedlock. They are being selfish and cruel to their own children. Many prefer welfare to having a husband and they are being cruel to them as well.

ladyeunicorn January 7, 2009, 7:52 PM

Why does she attack the single mothers? Why not attack the absent fathers? Those who either chose not to commit to the family, or those who chose to leave the family, or those who made it necessary for the woman to leave? Why are they not to blame? They should shoulder more blame than anyone.

And if you want to blanket your statement, Ann, and blame single mothers, do you include those who are single because their husbands died or were killed? How about those who made a smart decision and left a toxic relationship? Should those women jump right into another relationship in order to not be single?

Did you think that maybe, some of the problems you attribute to single motherhood actually be caused by children who had men in their lives who were also criminals? Did that thought cross your narrow mind?

Oh, and how about single fathers? Do they have the same stigma? Or because they are men, and let’s face it most conservatives feel that men are, they are better than women and don’t fall prey to allowing their children to grow up to be criminals.

Ann, why don’t you go find yourself a good, conservative man, give up your career, be barefoot and pregnant stuck at home on an allowance and see how you like it? After that, come back and talk to us.