Single Mom's Open Letter to Ann Coulter

Read it and weep!

Ann Coulter went on the "Today" show this morning claiming the world's problems can all be traced back to single mothers.

Guest blogger Single Mom Seeking fires back.

Dear Ann,

Do you mind if I call you by first name? I wouldn't want to insult you. After all, I'm a single mom and the cause of every societal problem out there today.

It's clear that you've studied us for years, with all those surveys you compiled for your recent book, "Guilty: Liberal 'Victims' and Their Assault on America."

But I'm not sure how many of us you've spoken to in real life?

I just watched your interview on the "Today" show with Matt Lauer. He read your excerpt:

"Look at any societal problem, and it is a problem of single motherhood."

When Lauer referred to your claim as "outrageous," you replied:

"It's not outrageous, it's a fact."

"Do you think that EVERY society problem is due to single mothers?" Lauer asked.

Maybe not every problem, but most. You went on to explain that single moms -- by giving birth to "illegitimate babies... being raised without fathers" -- are responsible for daily murders and rapes, as well as 70% of the men in prison.

Oh, you poor thing.

You must be really suffering since Barack Obama -- who was raised by a single mom -- won our presidential election. It's too bad you can't go back to the days of Dan Quayle, when he attacked "Murphy Brown," the sitcom, for featuring a lead character who decided to become a single mom.

You two would have been quite a pair, with all of your scapegoating of single mothers.

But getting back to the "Today" show ... can I just add I love your black boots? I have a pair of those, too. I love my black boots, don't you?

Single moms do wear black boots, you know. We also love men and family.

You've blamed us for "an endless attack on the nuclear family," but if you took the time to actually talk to us, you'd realize that most of us dream about going "nuclear."
Many of us were married once. Many of us even dream about finding perfect, faultless husbands one day.

In the meantime, we're working for a living, paying the bills, and raising some smart kids. You should come and see us sometime.

Sincerely,

Single Mom Seeking

next: Lisa Rinna: "I Looked Like a Freak"
klee January 7, 2009, 8:03 PM

ouch! Some of these remarks are more than anyone should have to chew! Let one with such boots walk in mine for a day or two! Single Mom Seeking —you rule! Thank you for standing tall and speaking the truth. I have a few other less choice words I would like to use for some of those who don’t know what the *&%#* you are even talking about. No one has ever asked for my statistics on how well my child is doing.

PFN January 7, 2009, 8:58 PM

She talks harshly to get people’s attention….but anyway, she’s right:

*Among long-term prison inmates, 70 percent grew up without fathers, as did 60 percent of rapists and 75 percent of adolescents charged with murder.

* Fatherless children are three times more likely to fail school, require psychiatric treatment and commit suicide as adolescents.

*They are also up to 40 times more likely to experience child abuse compared with children growing up in two-parent families.

Source: Wade Horn and Andrew Bush, “Fathers, Marriage, and Welfare Reform,”
Hudson Institute Executive Briefing, 1997, Hudson Institute,

jodi January 7, 2009, 9:30 PM

As uncomfortable as her remarks make some of us feel, MUCH (NOT ALL) of what Ms. Coulter says is true. Finding exceptions to counter her arguments misses the point. Our children will benefit to the extent that women find the constructive criticism offered and use it to avoid another generation of kids brought into this world with the odds stacked against them.

“There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know.”, John Heywood (1546)

kiersten January 7, 2009, 10:45 PM

its too bad that acknowledging this womans work contributes to her success, she can’t possibly think that anyone admires her, learns anything from her, looks to her for direction or values, because she doesn’t have any so she makes her living by getting others upset, if we ignore her, wouldn’t she just go away…

Single Parent Travel January 7, 2009, 10:47 PM

Whew—looks like us single dads eeked out another reprieve from the vitriol of Mann Coulter

Sherri January 7, 2009, 11:04 PM

Single mothers SHOULD be glorified and put on a pedestal. It’s because we don’t and treat them like throw-aways that we show who we are as a society.

When we respect those women raising the coming generations instead of dumping on them, then we’ll see some reduction in the very things Ann and other neo-cons rail against.

But that would mean actually humanizing their “villains.”

Debbie January 7, 2009, 11:07 PM

This “woman” is not useful and should not be in the public eye. She is hurting her own kind. She should take notice as well that many single moms do not do this out of choice. It is just a part of life. Let me guess, she is also for abortion? go figure. She is mean spirited and hope to never hear from her again.

Kat January 7, 2009, 11:18 PM

Re-posting my comment from the blog the author of this post wrote.

Ann Coulter is a freaking crackpot. I don’t give any value to anything she says on ANY subject at all.

And you are right, it is NOT single parenthood that is the reason for societies problems, it is poverty, and poverty alone.
And not all families living in poverty are single parent homes, a lot of families in poverty have 2 parent households with both parents working, struggling, and still living with incomes below the poverty level.

I just don’t let myself get worked up over anything that Coulter says, she’s batshit crazy and everyone knows it.

Sue January 7, 2009, 11:26 PM

I listened to that interview, and I believe she’s grandstanding to promote her latest book. That woman is nuts. However, the issue is NOT single mothers vs. nuclear families…it’s functional vs. dysfunctional. A child deserves to be raised in a healthy, nuturing environment. Either one or two HEALTHY parents are much better than one or two dysfunctional parents. There is no benefit to having 2 parents in the house if one of them is physically or emotionally abusive or an addict. That can render more damage than an absent parent.

DOWN WITH MURPHY BROWN & HER ILK & HER LOOKALIKE "INGLE MOMS" January 7, 2009, 11:31 PM

You foolish women who think a child does not need a FATHER in his life are idiots. And for you to DEFEND your ILLEGITIMATE LIFESTYLE proves it.

You are as STUPID as people like DAVID LETTERMAN who are too COWARDLY to get married and give their own ba$tard kid LEGITIMACY!

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!

Granddad January 8, 2009, 5:35 AM

I took my grandson from his single mom because Coulter is right. Granted there are some successes, but on the overall basis, this paradign is total BS and just another avenue of victimhood for the single mothers

My wife and I have had to deal with it and I refused to let my grandson be negatively affected by it.

It has been work and very expensive, but we have done what society is to lazy to do - DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CHILD, NOT THE ADULT

On the whole and on principle, Coulter is right and it galls the pompous of the single mom set.

It’s moms that are not treated as heroes, but feel they deserve it and insist that the child acknowledge and praise. My mother-in-law abused my wife with this tripe and I see it in the SINGLE MOM VITRIOL TOWARD COULTER

SoloMother January 8, 2009, 7:44 AM

What scares me most is that people listen to that woman and believe the offal that comes out of her mouth. She and Michelle Malkin and all the other rabid two-bit wannabes should be locked up in a windowless kitchen together, barefoot and chained to a stove.

ed January 8, 2009, 7:52 AM

When you’re done knee jerking, you’ll realize Ann has a point. Attacking her personally won’t change this.

Kelly January 8, 2009, 10:45 AM

Well, first of all - Ann Coulter is getting rich off of our reactions to her insane ramblings. She says outrageous things on purpose, and I think the best way to beat her is to ignore her. Or laugh at her and walk away.

Second, I like the comment that said why does she blame single moms and not absent fathers? Even if she wasn’t totally full of crap, that would be a better way to put it, “men walking away from their children are the cause of many of society’s problems”. But no, there’s that double standard again. All the blame and responsibility gets put on the woman’s shoulders.

People are in prison because they made bad choices. Even if those choices were the result of bad parenting, it comes down to the individual parent and not whether or not they are married. Conservatives like her would be the first ones to attack someone who tried to say a criminal is the way he is because of his mother. They’d say that was just a crutch. And yet it suits her well when she’s selling a book.

Kelly January 8, 2009, 10:51 AM

P.S. People who use ALL CAPS are usually morons who are overcompensating for their stupidity. “Maybe if I type it REALLY BIG people will think I know what I’m talking about.”

P.S.S. Ann Coulter must have been raised by 2 parents. Look how great that turned out.

Christine January 8, 2009, 10:58 AM

Just to make this completely and totally clear to those people who would like to think that ONLY liberals are single mothers… I am NOT Liberal, I did NOT vote for Obama! I AM a single mother, and raising two wonderful, intelligent, kind, and well adjusted sons who are already teenagers! I was ALSO raised by a single mother, but do NOT hate men! Instead of blaming single mothers, why don’t we blame the men who choose NOT to be in their children’s lives as the REAL problem… and also the much lower number of women who also choose not to be in their children’s lives, there are some of them as well. It’s not the single parents that are the problem, not the ones who take responsibility for their children, who raise them the best way they possibly can. It’s generally, if there is someone to blame for someone ELSE’S choices in life, I’d say it was those parents who choose NOT to be in the child’s life to help raise them!

I’m sick and tired of the parents who stay with their children, who raise them getting the blame for everything as if all their hard work was for nothing. We didn’t choose for the other parent to be out of their children’s lives… although in some cases, that’s MUCH better than the child having them in their lives!!

Like I said, I’m not a liberal (I”m libertarian) and I didn’t vote for Obama, but I can’t STAND Ann Coulter!!!

CableGirl January 8, 2009, 1:22 PM

I can’t help but wonder why no one wants to make the case against the dead beat dads who abandon their children to single mothers, the dads who refuse to pay child support or care about getting visitation rights. How exactly are all the society’s problems the fault of the mother who sticks around to raise the kids and not the fault of the parent who refuses to take part in the rearing of his children?

KJW January 8, 2009, 1:41 PM

Let’s get our fact straight first. Obama was NOT raised by his single mother. He was raised by his WHITE grandparents after his mom ditched him…then died. He went through society using the coattails of his whiteness until it suited him no more… he even went as far as verbally disowning his white heritage for a time…using it for the election to his advantage when need be.
Although Ms. Coulter can be harsh and brash all rolled into one. I do believe she is factually correct. Not every single mother produces an ineffective child to society…but the vast majority, factually proving, do. Sad to grasp but facts are facts….look it up! I get so tired of the defensiveness of our society. DO something about the statistics instead of feeling hurt! If you aren’t part of the number then super…if you are do something about it…simple, no?

ModernSingleMomma January 8, 2009, 2:31 PM

Well said,Rachel. Many of us do have dreams of going nuclear, but we love our kids enough not to spend our energy living only in hopes of it. We take life as it is and embrace the family we are.I am constantly impressed and are proud of us single moms doing what we do with what we’ve got.

Amanda January 8, 2009, 2:37 PM

Hey Nitwit! That is a perfect name for yourself! Not all single mothers are on welfare. That is just another stereotype that you simple-minded, judgmental people give to others. I am a WORKING mother and NOT on welfare! Even though I am no longer a SINGLE mother, I earn TWICE what my husband earns!! So, yes Nitwit… You are VERY deserving of that name!