Single Mom's Open Letter to Ann Coulter

Read it and weep!

Ann Coulter went on the "Today" show this morning claiming the world's problems can all be traced back to single mothers.

Guest blogger Single Mom Seeking fires back.

Dear Ann,

Do you mind if I call you by first name? I wouldn't want to insult you. After all, I'm a single mom and the cause of every societal problem out there today.

It's clear that you've studied us for years, with all those surveys you compiled for your recent book, "Guilty: Liberal 'Victims' and Their Assault on America."

But I'm not sure how many of us you've spoken to in real life?

I just watched your interview on the "Today" show with Matt Lauer. He read your excerpt:

"Look at any societal problem, and it is a problem of single motherhood."

When Lauer referred to your claim as "outrageous," you replied:

"It's not outrageous, it's a fact."

"Do you think that EVERY society problem is due to single mothers?" Lauer asked.

Maybe not every problem, but most. You went on to explain that single moms -- by giving birth to "illegitimate babies... being raised without fathers" -- are responsible for daily murders and rapes, as well as 70% of the men in prison.

Oh, you poor thing.

You must be really suffering since Barack Obama -- who was raised by a single mom -- won our presidential election. It's too bad you can't go back to the days of Dan Quayle, when he attacked "Murphy Brown," the sitcom, for featuring a lead character who decided to become a single mom.

You two would have been quite a pair, with all of your scapegoating of single mothers.

But getting back to the "Today" show ... can I just add I love your black boots? I have a pair of those, too. I love my black boots, don't you?

Single moms do wear black boots, you know. We also love men and family.

You've blamed us for "an endless attack on the nuclear family," but if you took the time to actually talk to us, you'd realize that most of us dream about going "nuclear."
Many of us were married once. Many of us even dream about finding perfect, faultless husbands one day.

In the meantime, we're working for a living, paying the bills, and raising some smart kids. You should come and see us sometime.

Sincerely,

Single Mom Seeking

next: Lisa Rinna: "I Looked Like a Freak"
Amy January 8, 2009, 5:04 PM

She is just bitter because she looks like man in drag!

Amy January 8, 2009, 5:06 PM

She is just bitter because she looks like man in drag!

C.C. January 8, 2009, 8:10 PM

Passing judgement is not acceptable for anyone, that includes all those of you that disagree with Ann. I am not a single mother, I am not living in poverty and I did not vote for Obama (I think the president of the US should be able to produce a valid birth certificate) I cannot imagine the struggles faced by a single mom, the struggles faced by homes with 2 parents is tough enough. No matter what your circumstances are, there is someone with a worse situation than you. Please do not play the victim role and please do not be nasty just because you do not agree with someone. Liberal thinking is so far from what I believe, but I respect a right to one’s opinions. Remember folks…..you get what you give…..give respect and you will receive it….the opposite is also true. Ann speaks the truth, take off the blinders and deal with it. And there is no need to be cruel to others.

Edgar January 8, 2009, 8:28 PM

Interesting that the only ones defending Ann Coulter here are men. And not a one of them addressed the issue of why moms are single - because the fathers of their children are not willing/able to provide a loving and hospitable environment for their children. That is the cycle of poverty that provides few alternatives for boys growing up in that environment to a life of criminal activity. So, blaming the women is completely misguided, as most of Ms. Coulter’s rants are.

C.C. January 8, 2009, 8:57 PM

I am a mother of 4 and as I mentioned earlier, married and striving to make it in this tough economy. Not all single mothers can blame the fathers of their children, that is playing the victim and continueing a pity party is not proactive in anyone’s life. There are many reasons for single parenting and yes I do agree the cycle of poverty provides very little positive influences and opportunities. For those hard working women that are able to reach beyond poverty and find opportunities for themselves and their families, there is hope. It is not a God given right to live off of the generosity of others. Women who work and hold onto their values can and will prevail.

Eva  January 8, 2009, 9:57 PM

Single mothers come on !!! Are you really telling me this nonsense needs a response ? She is crying for attention and she is LOVING it !!! Lets stay strong and lets not forget that she is targeting the ones she knows are the strongest to come back at her..lets not fall for it and stay focused on what really matters..our kids !!! What the heck does she know….

Lisa January 9, 2009, 6:47 PM

I actually feel sorry for her. Instead of her attacking the issue and dealing with the MEN who leave their children, she attacks us. Well I’m a single mom and I’m proud. I am her biggest threat, an educated single mom raising 3 HAPPY, SANE boys, by the way who are all straight A students, by myself. People like her are nothing but motivation. I will pray for her and her family. And have nothing else negative to say.

NM Erin January 10, 2009, 12:31 AM

It’s sad that Ann Coulter can’t pull her proverbial head out long enough to see that many single moms are single because the fathers of their children couldn’t bother with stepping up to actually participate in raising their child. It’s as if she thinks we are all men-haters who have long dreamed of working twice as hard with half the money and generally no time for ourselves. Yeah, I know that’s the dream I had as a child. GET REAL! I know a lot of single moms who have raised amazing kids and alot of married couples who wonder what went wrong. Talk about a simplistic view on life. If Ann thinks that all of the world’s problems can be blamed on one singular issue, she really needs to get out an see more than just the little primadonna Republican world she obviously lives in!

beth January 10, 2009, 10:07 AM

I’m a single mom and I would LOVE to know how we are glorified. LOL! I have not seen this yet. I praise any person man or female who is able to raise children, and hold down a job at the same time, all while kissing boo boo’s and taking kids to sports and all kinds of extra activities.

Being a single parent is not easy, and people who do it, do it because they love their children. Sometimes it’s by choice, sometimes it’s not.

For many kids in lingering in the foster care system, I would say that having at least ONE parent to love them and kiss them at bedtime is better than nothing, for all those who think it’s horrible.

And I would say that those crime statistics where all of these criminals have single parents…I would bet that it was not only being raised by a single parent that got them where they are but rather the environment they grew up in. People seem to forget that aspect altogether. Many children who grow up poor and in inner cities turn t crime. Many of these children have single parents. And their parents tend to work long hours just trying to put food on the table with no support from others. I do not believe for one minute it is ONLY because of single parenting that society is on the downfall.

Morals, environment, education, poverty AND personal choice, all have significant roles in how children turn out.

-PROUD single mom

Lann January 11, 2009, 10:15 AM

Ann makes these statements in her books and on TV all the time. They seem to make sense to some, but not all. First of all, who would actually beleive that children of single mothers are to blame for the over crowding of the penal system? Most of the cats in the pen, who are in there for violent crimes came from a home with a mother and a father. Look at Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy. Both of these notorious killers grew up having a mother and a father. In fact, John Gacy’s father was an alcoholic who abused his family. So, you need to look at each violent criminal individually. Stop blaming all single mothers for everything that goes wrong in America Miss Coulter. Get a man, hell, get laid once in a while and maybe you won’t be so uptight. Maybe if you stopped wearing those little black dresses, and act your age you might get a hubby, so you can have kids and raise them to be bigots and haters….like you. ~PEACE

Tina January 13, 2009, 11:03 AM

While I do see eye to eye on some things that she says to a much lesser degree, I think this woman is off her rocker. I am a single widowed mom raising six children and also a conservative. This is amazing that she would say a blanket statement like that… that my children are now going to be screwed up and not valuable members of society because I am single. I have created a business out of my home making a six figure income. So far, two of my children have gone off to college and another just turned 18. I believe he will be entering the mission field to help others in need. I’ve done the best that I can working 12 hour days (to this day) raising my children as a single mom without asking anyone to hand me a dime. How dare Ann Coulter.

plumbobb January 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

Coulter is confusing cause & effect it is true that children who are raised by single parents do not do as well, on average, as those from intact homes, but that is primarily because intact homes tend to be wealthier, and academic achievement correlates most closely to parental wealth and education (the “volvo effect” — if you want to know how well students in a particular school will do on standardized tests, go out and count the volvos in the parking lot).

I’d like to know what remedy Coulter has for eliminating kids raised by single moms. Should we kill our children a la Medea? Or are we looking at the renaissance of orphanages?

JB January 14, 2009, 3:16 PM

I was a single mother for 7 years. I got pregnant at 18 by a peer who forced sex. I chose to have my daughter - I also went to college, got a degree, all while I worked full time to support my child. My family was supportive, occasionally picking my child up from day care or helping out on field trips, but I did it all on my own. Nobody gave me money, nobody made my way easier. I was given a tough situation and I dealt with it. I resent Ann Coulter’s implications - having and raising my daughter is actually one of my biggest and most important accomplishments. Not to insinuate that it was easy. She is now a sophmore in college. She was invited to be in the National Honor Society, she was president of several school clubs, a varsity athlete and is an accomplished and talented actress/singer.
Some of us don’t CHOOSE and glorify single parenthood, but we make the best of it, and we do a good job. I for one know for a fact that my daughter’s presence in this world will make a difference, and being her sigle parent has made me who I am today - a good, happy, healthy mother of 4 who is in a fulfilling and loving marraige.

thomas January 15, 2009, 3:14 PM

If Ann was as conservitive as she claims to be,she would get married and only speak when her husband gave his permission.

Evan January 15, 2009, 3:33 PM

Having dated many single moms, I agree with Ann. I think it’s a shame you all get so easily offended rather than looking at the source of the problem: poor choices in breeding partners. If you all would take the necessary precautions, maybe Ann wouldn’t have to write a chapter that “offends” you all so much. And if it were only one child that each of you had, you might have a point. But most of you are repeat offenders many times over.

S January 16, 2009, 2:29 AM

Evan - Most of us are “repeat offendors”? I’d like to see the statistics that bear that out.

So, you’re pissed off that you’re the proverbial nice guy, huh?

Evan January 16, 2009, 9:06 AM

What everyone here is afraid to break the statistics out on is how many of our US single moms are black and repeat offenders. That certainly would get everyone’s panties in a wad. I also think many women have children due to the ticking of their biological clocks but never intend to actually be wives.

Bjones January 17, 2009, 9:29 PM

Ann, er rather Mann Coulter likes labels. She gives everything and everyone labels. From left, right, media, mainstream media, liberal media, single moms, conservatives, far-left conservatives, far-right conservatives, strong conservative liberal republicans, 9-11 widows/broads, etc. I heard that Mann, Hannity, and other conservative *Mann’s own label of herself* loud-mouths, are just helping America wake up to the fact that they don’t like labels and are sick and tired of rants about nothing. Just look at the election. WE elected a man who we believe in, Obama. Stop pointing out the obvious Mann, we’re not stupid. WE know what’s wrong, what stands out. Let’s work together and solve the problem. Mann’s next book is going to be about UFO’s and aliens that are green liberals because they had the nerve to visit during Obama’s tenure as Prez.

Gina Galvan January 19, 2009, 3:05 PM

The more attention she gets, the more she will run her childless, sexless, messed up hair mouth. She doesnt even have to worry about getting anyone else ready in the morning and she looks like that. Like my daughter being raised by a single mom would say “What the??”

david January 19, 2009, 5:46 PM

It seems that many people are missing the point (including Singlemomseeking, the original post). Ann did not intend to criticize single moms who are divorced or widowed. Being a father of 5 myself, I fully recognize that many men are “pigs” and nobody can blame a woman for escaping or one who’s been abandoned.
It is clear that Ann’s intent is to criticize women who choose to have children out of wed-lock, knowing that the child would be raised without the influence of both a mother and father. Trying to eliminate one or the other from a child-rearing equation would be like eliminating a pitcher or catcher from a baseball team.