The Duggars Make Me Sick

The Duggars have 18 kids, which is crazy in and of itself. But teaching your kids to abstain from all sexual relations before marriage... these people are nuts!

Annoyed woman watching tv

Guest blogger Samantha: Every time I see something about the Duggars on TV, I get really annoyed. I'm annoyed that they have so many kids, I'm annoyed that all their names start with "J" and I'm annoyed that everything, EVERYTHING, they do and say in life is about their belief in God. Look, I'm all for faith. I'm all for religion. But I lose my patience when it comes to fanatics whose convictions are SO over the top that their very own children (in my opinion) end up brainwashed and robotic.

Meet Joshua Duggar and his new bride Anna.

Last night, as I watched "A Very Duggar Wedding," a reality special on TLC documenting their "union," I wanted to barf. You see, Joshua, 21, and his bride-to-be Anna, have never kissed (yes, that's KISSED!). Both are evangelical Christians and decided that they wanted to enter marriage "pure." Up until their wedding day, the most action that these two CHILDREN had ever gotten was hand-holding (ooh, naughty, naughty!) And now, their very first kiss is supposed to be in front of 300 guests?! Are you kidding me?

Before I even start in on how ridiculous I think this "purity" nonsense is, let me take a moment to talk about their wedding itself: 1) Too much tulle. 2) Someone needs to let the people of Florida know that the crimped long-hair look was out in the '80s 3) It was a dry wedding. (Um, isn't that mean to make them have sex for the first time without any alcohol???) I nearly died when they said "I do," and went for their first kiss as husband and wife. "Don't turn around!," my husband joked as we laughed about what a massive boner Joshua probably had. Then, as the camera zoomed in on Anna wiping her lips and smiling nervously as her virgin tongue went back into her mouth, I literally got queasy. How ridiculous, I thought. How ridiculous to think that not only will these kids never know what it's like to have had sex with anyone else other than each other, but that they will never know what really feels good and really feels right.

If you don't kiss a lot of frogs, how can you know if you even like kissing your prince?! The beauty of experiencing intimacy before marriage is that you CAN determine what you like and don't like -- so that you're not stuck with someone who you come to discover you have ZERO sexual attraction or connection to! As I watched the Duggars walk into their sad little hotel room (hi, TLC, ya coulda sprung for the "honeymoon suite," no?), I couldn't help but wonder if poor Anna, who will not be enjoying sex for quite some time (uh, remember when you lost your virginity), will one day wake up and wish that she had been felt up by someone other than her husband. Second base, people! We're talking about second base! Her boobies have NEVER even been touched by someone else. PATHETIC.

On Joshua and Anna's website, Anna says: "Like Joshua, I was raised in a Christian home, and my parents encouraged me to save my whole heart and purity for the one that God had for me. As a young girl, my parents told me that it was normal to have desires and thoughts, but that it was my responsibility to commit my future to the Lord and trust God to lead me in His timing." Trust God to lead you? Does God know what turns you on? Grow up! You're not proving anything to anyone and I don't believe for one instance that God is going to reward you any differently then the rest of us. You can still be pure, good, and committed to your husband even if you've had multiple partners.

In my opinion, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are to blame for this craziness. If I had to share well-deserved attention with 17 other siblings, I might pull a lame stunt like this at my wedding, too. Fortunately for me (and my two sisters), my kiss was short and sweet and my wedding night wasn't as painful as Anna's probably was (unless you count the terrible blister I got from my heels). So, to Joshua and Anna: I truly do hope you had fun on your wedding night and in 50 years are still as hot for each other as you were that night at bible camp. And if there's one thing you don't do like your parents, let's hope it's the baby-making part. For God's sake, Duggars, heed your own advice and ABSTAIN.

next: Over 71,400 Lost Jobs on 'Bloody Monday'
SD January 26, 2009, 7:59 PM

GGeezzzeee!!! Someone needs to take her Midol! Seriously with all that’s going wrong in our country right now, not the least of which is the fact that teen pregnancy and STDs are both on the rise, you choose to go on a tirade against good, hardworking people who are teaching their kids good values and morals. … Really? It seems it’s time for you take a look in the mirror and try to figure out why you are so angry. Or dare I say…. Woman you need to do some SOUL searching!

Sami January 26, 2009, 8:40 PM

I am loving these comments!
I think the Duggars are shameful mainly for the hideous rhyming/coordinating names and the fact that they are happy to sell out to reality TV.
Also sex before marriage doesn’t cause STI’s and unwanted pregnancies - lack of education about condoms does!
I would never dream of saving myself for marriage! my first kiss was gross and my first “time” was scary and painful - not how I would want to end my wedding day!
If my children ever say that they want to save themselves for marriage I’d tell them not to.
In case anyone wants to know; I got married 18mths after I had my 1st child :o)

LAURA January 26, 2009, 8:41 PM

I think it is sweet, remarkable and strange Josh and Anna have remained “pure” to the point of never sharing a kiss until their wedding. What I find even sadder: Jim Bob-the father- has stated he and Michelle had problems dealing with her “baggage” from having boyfriends before him…Please note they married when she was 17 and he 19.. How much baggage can she have? What did she do? Kiss her first boyfriend? If she has had 18 kids with Jim Bob, he really needs to get over it.

No wonder poor Josh feels the way he does-being raised by people who are so unrealistic in their views is a hinderance to anyone’s upbringing….As viewers know-they do not attend church, but worship in their home with other like-minds, they homeschool, and only associate with people just like them….(Ironic Josh has a used-car business).

Keep an eye on Jinger,she is going to go “Cousin Amy” on them at any time. She will be slapping on a pair of shorts and cutting her hair, maybe even get a job at the mall, and attend college…..

Jenny January 26, 2009, 9:16 PM

Have you ever actually read the Bible? It’s quite obvious that you haven’t ever sought information but then preach as though you have.

It’s sad that you are so upset over someone elses life that has no consequence to your own. And I must ask, if you can’t stand the Duggars so much then why are you watching them???

Anonymous January 26, 2009, 9:17 PM

I can’t believe how worked up you are about this! You are cutting up on them for their convictions and what they believe it right, but isn’t that essentially the same thing you have? Convictions and a belief system that you think is right? Is it possible that maybe your kids will be “brainwashed” to think that if they don’t kiss and have sex with other people prior to their wedding, that something is wrong with that? I watched the special too. And I didn’t think anything was wrong with it. When the heck did abstaining from sex become a crime???!!!!!

Chris January 26, 2009, 10:03 PM

Wow, what a foolish post. These people aren’t huring you or anyone else. You seem jealous that they have faith, love and a happy family. If they bother you so much why even watch their show- live and let live but thats a concept most atheist liberals just don’t get.

Kay  January 26, 2009, 10:08 PM

The Duggars are a great example to other American families. Momlogic how very low of you to allow this trash on site that should support famiies!

Megan January 27, 2009, 12:04 AM

Who cares? Let them believe in whatever they want to. I’m not watching it because it doesn’t interest me. You don’t like them then why are YOU watching THEM?!?! Makes no sense.

silvana taylor January 27, 2009, 1:28 AM

Let’s get real here, there are adventurous people like the woman who wrote the above blog and then there are people like the Duggars who never really live, never really experiment with sex or any type of adventure, I mean look at the girls, they look like they are from the Little House on the Prairie era, this young ignorant girl had her brain so indoctrinated by her parents that she has no idea how to think for herself, she will probably over populate the world just like her in-laws,she will never travel the world, have another view, or be able to really have even her own opinion,her world will be diapers and babies forever, it is sad what these religious people pump into the brains of these poor children. It is way too late for Anna she didn’t have a chance..

Anonymous  January 27, 2009, 1:52 AM

WOW I agree with you, waiting to have sex on your wedding night i could say that thats cool, but kissing ahhhhh that just scares me, What if one of there other kids turns out to like the same sex, i want to see what JIm and his wife would do. I have a feeling that he married her for sex, sorry people i dont want to seem mean but think about it, he meets a girl that he knows his parents would approve of, doesnt really know her, have to have his little brothers and sister around them when they go out, how could you really known someone, what if this person your going to marry isn’t the person you thought she was, this reminded me of the movie heart break kid with Ben Stiller, i seen a commercial of Jim and his wife at a store and there looking at this crack pipes and saying “oh what are this funny looking glass wear” I was like wow, you dont know wat those are how would you kids know, As for Josh and Anna i do wish them the best but love isnt just wow i feel God telling me I do, How would you know if its love or just a strong attraction, he never dated to know the difference, and Anna if she really liked Josh from the 1st time she meet him who’s to say she never felt like that with other men before she meet Josh, she is a girl, girls do have crushes what if all this is a crush that she married, how can you really love some one when you dont know what love is, they are both young people who never kissed or had sex (which that aint the problem) but to me there are acting on attraction, and there parents wow, they acted along with them, instead of saying hey date a few b4 you chose the right one, its well son if you feel like God is telling you that she is your wife, go right ahead. Poor Anna seemed so scared after they said I do, As if she said to her self, OMG WAT HAVE I DONE, While Poor Josh is happy that he is going to get him some and not feel guilty about it in the morning. The 1st thing that came to mind was the scene of forget about Shara Marchell when the newlyweds was trying to have sex and they couldn’t for days lmfao that was a good movie, but still like i said i do wish them the best, but who is to say that they will have a great marriage, enjoy haveing sex and not feel like its obligation because she is married to Josh. HMMMMM i really do wonder what they would do if one of there kids liked the same sex, they go word for word what the bible says and in the Bible being Gay is a Sin or Very Very Wrong.

komoj January 27, 2009, 6:41 AM

i think the duggers are living thier lives the way they want to and it is thier business,not anyone elses.they seem to have a very loving relationship with each other and thier children.jim bob supports the family and doesen’t have to depend on anyone else to do it………

Kenya January 27, 2009, 7:39 AM

Hey Hey Ladies! Now you all know that poor Josh is only getting married to get the heck out of Duggarville! I stopped watching these idiots when they only had 16 kids. It really pissed me off at the way they thought it was okay to do what they were doing. All of their older kids had a younger kid that they had to chip in and raise. That’s the parents’ job! They wanted all these d@#$ kids, they need to do the work that the rest of us have to do! Who knows maybe Josh will finally wake up from the brainwashing and live his own life.

Get A Life January 27, 2009, 7:42 AM

Why do you care? I may or may not agree with the Duggars beliefs or way of life but they are certainly entitled to both. It is not yours to judge.

Vickie Couturier January 27, 2009, 7:42 AM

I was more offended by your comments than anything the Duggars may have done or not done!Shame on you to be so judgemental of someones lifestyle!I saw the special too an although I dont totally agree with all they believe,it IS their business,none of their children are on drugs or in jail or pregnant or have a sexually transmitted diease,so they must be doing something right,I personally didnt have sex before marriage an Im proud of it,with things the way they are today with all the sexual dieases that kids get I think this is the best way NOT to get it!Kissing is okay but they dont believe in it so thats their right,an it must work,they dont divorce an split up the kids but I guess thats wrong too,to be raised by 2 parents that love their kids,an by the way they pay for them without any help from the state or goverment assistance but I guess thats wrong too,mmmmmm,how many can say that,not too many,He who is without sin cast the first stone,I personally dont have rocks in my pocket to throw,so I say,mind your own business an leave them alone,they seem to be doing fine to me,my opinion

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 8:00 AM

Guest blogger Samantha-
It is sad that purity and righteousness are no longer acceptable in our society to people like you. I think this is a wonderful example that more people should do. Ang

C January 27, 2009, 8:02 AM

What got me more were the vows and the transfer of “authority” as the father of the bride put it. “Which is as it should be”, he said when describing him transferring his authority over his daughter to her husband’s authority. OMG!!! They also vowed to let God chose how many children they would have. Enough already! Do they understand the concept of overpopulation? When will her body collapse and break down completely leaving all of them mother-less. God gave us common sense and we should use it. When asked in an interview about more children, she said she would like more. WHY??? Instead of collecting ceramic pigs she collects kids. I think she is a baby addict. Why do you need more kids? You CANNOT spend enough quality time wiith any one of those kids. Thank God, God provided her child slave labor to do the laundry, cook and provide daycare services. The older girls are basically her minion. I feel really sorry for them. They have never had a real childhood. As I see it, celibacy is the least of their problems. Can you imagine if they weren’t and they started getting pregnant at 14? Yikes! Well, that’s another whole can of worms.

Cathy W January 27, 2009, 8:11 AM

I can’t believe that you feel so strongly against the Duggars and still watch the show….hmmmm. What does that say about YOU. I would be willing to bet that the Duggars household with 18 kids is a little bit more organized than your’s with your one or two children. Maybe you watch the show for some pointers….

Diana January 27, 2009, 8:24 AM

Talk about major ANGER…your article was so full of hate & anger & criticism & disgust….I can’t even begin to appreciate your article because it was drenched in all of the above. Get a hold of yourself.

Caryn January 27, 2009, 8:53 AM

I cant beleieve you want to rant and rave about how thw Duggars live.Why does it bother you so much that they chose to wait? What is it to you?
I think its great that they chose to wait and be pure for one another. Thats what God wants for all of us anyway.
You are a very narrow minded person and no one really cares what you think! You sound like a sleeze who “tried out” to many men before you decided on one!
I say CONGRATS to the Duggar young man that waited and found his perfect bride.
If More people were like the Duggars, this country and world would probably be a better place.I hope one day my daughter would want to wait till she finds her “Mr. Right”
Caryn From NY

CK1 January 27, 2009, 8:53 AM

It is so sad how other people feel they have the right to judge others. Obviously the Duggars beliefs are working for them. Their children are good kids. You don’t here about them drunk driving, doing drugs, or the other wide variety of things teens do. The Duggars are to be commended for teaching good values and morals to their children. It is a hard job raising kids and they seem to be doing a much better job than most of America. Perhaps that is what is wrong with teens these days. NO MORAL VALUES… Perhaps rather than criticize them, parents should watch the show and learn something. It is sad that people are so negative. The Duggars are following the Bible and their beliefs. Seems to be working out great!