The Duggars Make Me Sick

The Duggars have 18 kids, which is crazy in and of itself. But teaching your kids to abstain from all sexual relations before marriage... these people are nuts!

Annoyed woman watching tv

Guest blogger Samantha: Every time I see something about the Duggars on TV, I get really annoyed. I'm annoyed that they have so many kids, I'm annoyed that all their names start with "J" and I'm annoyed that everything, EVERYTHING, they do and say in life is about their belief in God. Look, I'm all for faith. I'm all for religion. But I lose my patience when it comes to fanatics whose convictions are SO over the top that their very own children (in my opinion) end up brainwashed and robotic.

Meet Joshua Duggar and his new bride Anna.

Last night, as I watched "A Very Duggar Wedding," a reality special on TLC documenting their "union," I wanted to barf. You see, Joshua, 21, and his bride-to-be Anna, have never kissed (yes, that's KISSED!). Both are evangelical Christians and decided that they wanted to enter marriage "pure." Up until their wedding day, the most action that these two CHILDREN had ever gotten was hand-holding (ooh, naughty, naughty!) And now, their very first kiss is supposed to be in front of 300 guests?! Are you kidding me?

Before I even start in on how ridiculous I think this "purity" nonsense is, let me take a moment to talk about their wedding itself: 1) Too much tulle. 2) Someone needs to let the people of Florida know that the crimped long-hair look was out in the '80s 3) It was a dry wedding. (Um, isn't that mean to make them have sex for the first time without any alcohol???) I nearly died when they said "I do," and went for their first kiss as husband and wife. "Don't turn around!," my husband joked as we laughed about what a massive boner Joshua probably had. Then, as the camera zoomed in on Anna wiping her lips and smiling nervously as her virgin tongue went back into her mouth, I literally got queasy. How ridiculous, I thought. How ridiculous to think that not only will these kids never know what it's like to have had sex with anyone else other than each other, but that they will never know what really feels good and really feels right.

If you don't kiss a lot of frogs, how can you know if you even like kissing your prince?! The beauty of experiencing intimacy before marriage is that you CAN determine what you like and don't like -- so that you're not stuck with someone who you come to discover you have ZERO sexual attraction or connection to! As I watched the Duggars walk into their sad little hotel room (hi, TLC, ya coulda sprung for the "honeymoon suite," no?), I couldn't help but wonder if poor Anna, who will not be enjoying sex for quite some time (uh, remember when you lost your virginity), will one day wake up and wish that she had been felt up by someone other than her husband. Second base, people! We're talking about second base! Her boobies have NEVER even been touched by someone else. PATHETIC.

On Joshua and Anna's website, Anna says: "Like Joshua, I was raised in a Christian home, and my parents encouraged me to save my whole heart and purity for the one that God had for me. As a young girl, my parents told me that it was normal to have desires and thoughts, but that it was my responsibility to commit my future to the Lord and trust God to lead me in His timing." Trust God to lead you? Does God know what turns you on? Grow up! You're not proving anything to anyone and I don't believe for one instance that God is going to reward you any differently then the rest of us. You can still be pure, good, and committed to your husband even if you've had multiple partners.

In my opinion, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are to blame for this craziness. If I had to share well-deserved attention with 17 other siblings, I might pull a lame stunt like this at my wedding, too. Fortunately for me (and my two sisters), my kiss was short and sweet and my wedding night wasn't as painful as Anna's probably was (unless you count the terrible blister I got from my heels). So, to Joshua and Anna: I truly do hope you had fun on your wedding night and in 50 years are still as hot for each other as you were that night at bible camp. And if there's one thing you don't do like your parents, let's hope it's the baby-making part. For God's sake, Duggars, heed your own advice and ABSTAIN.

next: Over 71,400 Lost Jobs on 'Bloody Monday'
lisajune January 27, 2009, 11:44 AM

How nuts can this really drive you? You seem to be addicted to watching, when something such as this drives me crazy, I have learned to leave it alone, turn the channel and definately not go to the website or blog. This is right for them, they havn’t asked my opionion and even if they did, It would be my believe, something just right for me. it takes all kinds to make the world, if there were only one type of flower, who would want to see your garden? P.S. sorry about the mis-spells, can’t find spell check.

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:50 AM

If you have alot of kids, TLC will give you a tv show (ex: Duggars, Jon & Kate).

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:53 AM

They’re not a family, they’re a religious cult.

Sharon January 27, 2009, 11:53 AM

I hate the fact that I watch this show. I figure I watch it because it is different, they are different. The whole thing is so weird. The kids are somewhat robotic and they do all the work for the parents its seems. You know all the mother has time to do is be pregnant. What is this doing to her body? It can’t be fun or healthy for her. Everything is probably hanging out by now unless the doctor’s keep pushing it up there and sewing her up. I am also upset that shows like this are feeding off of people like me - these people and all the other families having shows are becoming or already are millionaires. Does your family take vacations like the families on tv do? Everytime you turn around the “little folks” are going away or buying another new tractor or car or ATV. We are a working family and believe me, we work hard for what we have and we have to take care of it because we cannot readily replace it (anything we own). The last time I had a new car was 1977 when I was single. The car I drive now is a 1997 but it looks and drives like relatively new. Does the Dugger dad work other than the commercial property they have? How did the son get a dealership at age 20? I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone with these obscure family tv shows!!! What kind of money does this show bring to them? Have you seen all the luxuries in that house - wish we could have half that. The “8” kid family is getting a huge house next and the little folks remodeled so much they might as well have gotten a new giantic home. Folks, they are using us - like it is our fault they have (Kate Plus 8) or whatever that show is -so many kids! A lot of us have health issues too or “short” comings (little folks show) but we deal with them on our own as best we can rather then hang our dirty laundry out for everyone to see like these people have. Well, turn it on again this coming week and we can stockpile all of their bank accounts over and over and over….. while our hard earned savings is eaten alive by this economy!!!! Oh and as for the comment about the newly weds only having one partner - believe me, they will think each other is great, not having had anyone else to compare to - maybe that is what it was meant to be like, but I can truthfully say I am glad to have had the choice.

SHuelin January 27, 2009, 11:56 AM

I watched the episode for the shock factor, these people need to go read a science book.

Stepanie January 27, 2009, 12:14 PM

I could care less what other people do as long as it doesn’t affect me directly. What does bother me are people who wear their religion on their sleeve. To all you Christian fanatics - If you are that “good” of a Christian, you don’t have to tell everyone. They will know buy your actions.

Kristy January 27, 2009, 12:14 PM

Okay seriously, if the Duggars bother you that much, then why are you watching their show/wedding? You sound like you are just a bitter old woman who is the type of person that just needs something to complain about. I my self didn’t wait till marriage, but you don’t see me flapping my mouth about how silly the idea of waiting for your 1st anything on your wedding night. That is their choice in life and if its not hurting any then who cares! They are old enough to make their own choices and they both seem to be in on the same page when it comes to how they want to live their new life together. So instead of flapping your mouth about lives of people you don’t even know, go and get your own life.

Barb January 27, 2009, 12:14 PM

Yes, these people do crack me up! I am a Christian who does not beliee in these strict convictions. God made people to enjoy sex for a reason!! How this double standard they teach their children, these 2 must never get out of bed if she is always pregnant!! she has been prego for the last 20 years!! They should teach them birth control and to be responsible in having children, you can’t have 17 or 18 children and give them all what they need emotionaly, and they put each baby off on another one of the older children. These are YOUR kids that YOU chose to have, so raise them yourself and stop putting them off on your OLDER children!! I loved when they walked by the ase in the store that had the Glass Dildo’s & sex toys, and the husband didn’t even know what they were (or pretended he didn;t) his poor wife. they think having sex is just for baby making! That women is going to drop dead from childbirth, if her husband cared so much about her, he would get a vasectomy!!!

ellen January 27, 2009, 12:25 PM

How dare you!!! There are people out there that do have MORALS, which you don’t seem to have. If you don’t like what they believe then don’t watch. My kids were taught that sex before marriage is wrong and My grandchildren are also being taugh the same. If you want to screw around with every man you meet that’s you choice, but don’t bad mouth people who don’t.

Judy G. January 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

I think I read on one of the post that this family is from Florida. They live in Arkansas. Before the son got married, I remember him talking about that he isn’t going to date just to date, that his purpose was to find a wife. During their wedding, I heard the preacher said something about that they agree to let God provide them the amount of children that should have. It wasn’t in these same words, but something like that, so I’am guessing they will be having lots of kids as well.

Fox January 27, 2009, 12:29 PM

You do know that the Duggars get lots of help by having so many children. One of the TV shows furnished their home. Another one helped them with materials to buy it. Yea, it wouldn’t be a good idea for all of us to have that many children. The idea is that you can let your older children take care of the younger children. As for me and their religious beliefs who cares what they do?

JC January 27, 2009, 12:35 PM

It is amazing to me that a family is being hated on b/c they actually have morals and values that they choose to exercise. No wonder the STD rate in this country is so high. Especially among teens. Instead of ridiculing the Duggards for showing their chldren to love and value themselves and not to get caught up in physical attraction b/c there is more to life than sex, you should be thanking them for keeping contributing to lowering the STD and abortion rate among our youth. I guess it doesn’t matter how much a person tries to better themselves there is always a hater lying in wait to pull you down. YOU PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GET A CLUE!

Alexis January 27, 2009, 12:37 PM

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If more people only had sex with the one they marry, there would not be STDs. I think the Duggars are great people who are only doing what they think is best for their children. They do not want their children to have “baggage” in their marriage from previous relationships. Josh Duggar made his own mind up about how he wanted to handle his engagement and marriage and I think he did a fabulous job. Also, I am greatly annoyed that you say you do not like the Duggars and cringe everytime you see or hear anything about them. Then in the next sentence, you went on to tell how you watched “A Very Duggar Wedding.” Come on now, sure TLC isn’t the only channel you get. IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT DON’T WATCH IT.

dc January 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

it is interesting to me how ‘outraged’ people are that a wholesome, loving family would like to have many children. children they can afford, children they can love, children they teach. when has someone snapped off so hard about some welfare sucker who has as many kids as possible with 20 different daddies, never once married so their welfare ‘benefits’ increase. that is worth snapping off about…not these people’s lives. geesh. bunch of haters.

JESSICA January 27, 2009, 12:52 PM

I AGREE THAT WAITING TO KISS YOUR FUTURE HUSBAN OR WIFE UNTILL YOUR WADDING DAY IS STRECHING IT AND OVER DUING IT BUT I DU BELIVE THAT YOU SHOULD WAIT TO HAVE HAVE SEX UNTILL YOUR MARRIED BECAUSE IT IS ABOUT TIME SOCIETY WHENT BACK TO RESPECTING FAMILY VALUES INSTED OF APROVING PRE MARRITAL SEX FOR THE SAKE OF FUTURE GENERATIONS AND TO REDUSE HUGE MISTAKES THAT PEOPLE COMIT LIKE GETTING STD’S AND TEENAGE PREGNANCIES OR JUST HAVING A CHILD WITH SOME ONE YOU DONT LOVE JUST BECAUSE YOU FELT LIKE DUING IT ONE NIGHT AND THE PERSON WHO ENDS UP PAYING FOT THAT IS THAT CHILD WHO FOR EVER IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE IN THE MIDEL OF THERE TWO PERENTS AND WHO HAVE TO BE UNDERSTANDING OF THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOING TO SACRAFICE THEM SELF FOR THERE CHILD BECAUSE OF ONE NIGHT

Lisa T January 27, 2009, 12:55 PM

While I laughed at everything (especially the part of the ceremony where they agreed to let God choose how many children they would have) and the strict rules, I was dragged in by how cute they were when they actually kissed and how kissing was so new and special for their wedding. My wedding I was so tired and there was nothing special or new about kissing.

While this isn’t for me, I know people who follow some of these rules, no sex before marriage, and they are so happily married.

I think we should take a page from religion and not judge.

LAURA January 27, 2009, 1:07 PM

I can’t believe everyone of you is getting a little emotional about all of this. I think if any of you had any sense you would have just turned off the tv and found something more constructive to do. It sounds like that show was a joke and a waste of time. Try watching something educational. Our country is behind intellectually as it is. Don’t add to the stupidy or ignorance by watching these stupid shows.

Amy January 27, 2009, 1:46 PM

I will never understand why people think that believing DIFFERENTLY than them means someone is not thinking for themselves. Someone CAN think for themselves and DECIDE to live differently than you! It is possible. People do it everyday.

Kendra January 27, 2009, 1:49 PM

I don’t agree with all the Duggars do, but I do agree with their abstaining from sex until marriage. God says to not have sex until you are married. Christians (as the Duggars say they are) should refrain from sex until marriage.

How terrible that the Duggars practice what they preach. I pray my children do the same.

Jade January 27, 2009, 2:21 PM

My so many anger comments on here. Wow. I do agree that they annoy me but it does not make me angry. I do tip my hat at the fact they can provide for all the kids. I do not agree the fact they have the older kids help out. I had to help take care of my sisters. The relationship between me and my sister are alot like mother and daughter alot of the times. It changes you when you are kid. You become an adult. So I urge you mothers out there. To take care of your own children. If you can not then do not have any more! I do like the fact that they have good morals and beliefs. Thier life style are not for everyone. Quit worrying about other people’s life style and worry about your own..
-Jade