The Duggars Make Me Sick

The Duggars have 18 kids, which is crazy in and of itself. But teaching your kids to abstain from all sexual relations before marriage... these people are nuts!

Annoyed woman watching tv

Guest blogger Samantha: Every time I see something about the Duggars on TV, I get really annoyed. I'm annoyed that they have so many kids, I'm annoyed that all their names start with "J" and I'm annoyed that everything, EVERYTHING, they do and say in life is about their belief in God. Look, I'm all for faith. I'm all for religion. But I lose my patience when it comes to fanatics whose convictions are SO over the top that their very own children (in my opinion) end up brainwashed and robotic.

Meet Joshua Duggar and his new bride Anna.

Last night, as I watched "A Very Duggar Wedding," a reality special on TLC documenting their "union," I wanted to barf. You see, Joshua, 21, and his bride-to-be Anna, have never kissed (yes, that's KISSED!). Both are evangelical Christians and decided that they wanted to enter marriage "pure." Up until their wedding day, the most action that these two CHILDREN had ever gotten was hand-holding (ooh, naughty, naughty!) And now, their very first kiss is supposed to be in front of 300 guests?! Are you kidding me?

Before I even start in on how ridiculous I think this "purity" nonsense is, let me take a moment to talk about their wedding itself: 1) Too much tulle. 2) Someone needs to let the people of Florida know that the crimped long-hair look was out in the '80s 3) It was a dry wedding. (Um, isn't that mean to make them have sex for the first time without any alcohol???) I nearly died when they said "I do," and went for their first kiss as husband and wife. "Don't turn around!," my husband joked as we laughed about what a massive boner Joshua probably had. Then, as the camera zoomed in on Anna wiping her lips and smiling nervously as her virgin tongue went back into her mouth, I literally got queasy. How ridiculous, I thought. How ridiculous to think that not only will these kids never know what it's like to have had sex with anyone else other than each other, but that they will never know what really feels good and really feels right.

If you don't kiss a lot of frogs, how can you know if you even like kissing your prince?! The beauty of experiencing intimacy before marriage is that you CAN determine what you like and don't like -- so that you're not stuck with someone who you come to discover you have ZERO sexual attraction or connection to! As I watched the Duggars walk into their sad little hotel room (hi, TLC, ya coulda sprung for the "honeymoon suite," no?), I couldn't help but wonder if poor Anna, who will not be enjoying sex for quite some time (uh, remember when you lost your virginity), will one day wake up and wish that she had been felt up by someone other than her husband. Second base, people! We're talking about second base! Her boobies have NEVER even been touched by someone else. PATHETIC.

On Joshua and Anna's website, Anna says: "Like Joshua, I was raised in a Christian home, and my parents encouraged me to save my whole heart and purity for the one that God had for me. As a young girl, my parents told me that it was normal to have desires and thoughts, but that it was my responsibility to commit my future to the Lord and trust God to lead me in His timing." Trust God to lead you? Does God know what turns you on? Grow up! You're not proving anything to anyone and I don't believe for one instance that God is going to reward you any differently then the rest of us. You can still be pure, good, and committed to your husband even if you've had multiple partners.

In my opinion, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are to blame for this craziness. If I had to share well-deserved attention with 17 other siblings, I might pull a lame stunt like this at my wedding, too. Fortunately for me (and my two sisters), my kiss was short and sweet and my wedding night wasn't as painful as Anna's probably was (unless you count the terrible blister I got from my heels). So, to Joshua and Anna: I truly do hope you had fun on your wedding night and in 50 years are still as hot for each other as you were that night at bible camp. And if there's one thing you don't do like your parents, let's hope it's the baby-making part. For God's sake, Duggars, heed your own advice and ABSTAIN.

next: Over 71,400 Lost Jobs on 'Bloody Monday'
Paul February 17, 2009, 1:39 AM

Well what can i say!!! he/she who points has three fingers pointing back.
Don’t condemn others, and God won’t condemn you. God will be as hard on you as you are on others! He will treat you exactly as you treat them. You!!! can see the speck in someones eye, but you don’t notice the log in your own eye.

Doug February 25, 2009, 8:25 PM

Seriously 18 kids is enough. Let your kids explore and learn outside your box of relgion.

God isn’t real and Relgion is a busniess. Get over yourself you weirdos. Stop wasting your time. I’d like to know where Jesus’s body is or gods. We’ve found dionsours and King Tut where the hell is god!

Anonymous March 9, 2009, 12:17 AM

I agree—if it makes you so crazy don’t watch—I find it really sad that you think people that are living with integrity and faith are somehow crazy. Many might think someone who is as critical and espousing the things you do are sickening to many of us ‘normal’ Americans? They work hard, take care of themselves and aren’t a drain on society.They take care of their kids, they are polite and respectful and would probably never say anything as belittling to you about your choices. You so call ‘tolerant’ people are pretty much anything BUT tolerant. Unless of course we all agree with what you have decided is ok. I feel bad for YOUR children, when they come home with sexually transmitted diseases, pregnant, or arrested for dui’s or worse. If you expect kids to act a certain way, and then Walk the walk, they will make good choices. I assume your kids are the ones making passes at my 3rd and 5th graders who are afraid to go to school because of the disrespectful and disgusting behavior of the other kids. Guess a 9 and 11 yr old have more sense than ‘MOMlogic.”

Samantha H March 9, 2009, 1:28 AM

Why does it make you so crazy that two people are saving their most sacred gift for their spouse? Virginity is one gift that you never get back. You will never be able to share that gift with more then two people. I am saving my first kiss for my wedding day, and I cannot tell you how liberating it will be to say my husband and I are the first kiss for both of each other.

Ladybuggy2009 March 9, 2009, 2:28 AM

Um, last time I checked there was more than one channel on TV…change it if it annoys you so much, sheesh!

End nagativity…be less narrow-minded

Kayla March 11, 2009, 7:52 PM

Excuse me? Since when is being pure a BAD thing? The way you are talking about things like this, ridiculing them and laughing in their faces… This is why America has lost all its morals. I’m fifteen and I have a purity ring that I will gladly wear until marriage. That’s what love is all about. Saving yourself for one person. I’m sorry to say this but I am truly disgusted with the way you are talking. In fact, judging from what I just read, Im sorry but I’m disgusted with you.

Anonymous March 19, 2009, 2:18 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with keeping pure before marriage. We should always think of ourselves as temples of God.Everything is not just about sex Please, read 1 Corinthians 6:13. Just one thing to end, if you don’t have anything uplifting to say about somebody, you better don’t say anything and see how you can make your life better.

Eve March 20, 2009, 1:10 AM

The Duggars aren’t TEACHING morals…they are brainwashing. Sorry but if the children don’t have a choice in music, movies, websites……hairstyles…. than what do they have a choice in? Oh yeah, nothing. They’re expected to walk the line and not have opinions. People should look up Bill Gothard and his preachings of hate before they fall in love with the Duggars.

Anonymous March 31, 2009, 11:39 PM

How narrow-minded can a person be? What’s ironic is that purity disgusts you. I’d hate to see the life you’re leading.

Rizpah April 1, 2009, 8:20 PM

Wow, I wonder what the Duggars’ carbon footprint is???

Nicky April 13, 2009, 1:13 PM

The writer of this article sounds like a very jealous person indeed. Because unlike most of the American population, Anna Duggar will more than likely never know what it is like to be used for her body and then dumped by a jerk. She will probably never base her powers of attraction of the opposite sex by exposing her body. She will never feel the pressure of ‘giving it up’ in order to keep a relationship.

No, she has chosen to give herself to someone who values her, loves her, respects her, and wants only her. Wow! Imagine that,huh? What a powerful and sexy aphrodisiac that is! And if I were her (or anyone else, for that matter!) I would not trade that for a million other sexual experiences.

And if they don’t get it “right” the first time?? Oh well! I guess they’ll have their whole lives to keep trying…and trying…and trying…until they do. (-;

Becky April 13, 2009, 1:18 PM

Ok, I’m one of the “crazy” Evangelical Christians who was homeschooled & raised with the same beliefs as the Duggar family. I saved sex for marriage, and married the one and only guy I dated. I am the only girl my husband has ever dated/slept with. And I can’t tell you how THANKFUL I am for my upbringing, my faith in Christ, and for saving myself for my husband. Yes, we did kiss before marriage, but now that I am married I realize how little sex matters in the big scheme of things in married life. It’s the icing on the cake - not the whole thing. If you haven’t had sex before getting married, it doesn’t mean your marriage will fail. My husband and I have been happily married for 4 years with our first baby on the way and I pray for many more years together AND children.
I think everyone who wants to judge the Duggars should take an honest, objective look at the Duggar family vs. your mainstream American family today. No, the Duggars aren’t perfect but they are financially responsible, their kids seem well grounded and happy, and the parents are in a solid, strong marriage. They have a large family but none of us are paying the price for it, unlike all the families of one child who are on welfare, not employed, and not raising their children to be the best they can be. I think the Duggars are making a wonderful contribution to society with their family, and I for one am happy for them and for the blessings they have received.

Anonymous April 22, 2009, 2:39 PM

I guess it is easy to be that critical when you probably have so many other issues in your own life. I guess you must be jealous that they have such a happy life and their children excel compared to most of the unruly, spoiled monsters out there in our country today that have been filled full of lias by our schools and adults. Take a look at some of those kids and you cannot tell me that the duggar kids are crazy. They are beutiful, smart, well adjusted, family oriented and would stand up for their values. Most kids now days are not even taught values and do not know what a family is. So.. try to find your own fault and quit being so jealouse of this family. We need more of this in our country for it to survive.

Katherine Redmon May 3, 2009, 10:55 PM

I am sure the Duggars are good people, and I think it is wise and good that they teach their children to abstain, but they do make me sick. I get really annoyed when I see them on TV, and I think it is because they seem too perfect. Anybody who seems too perfect makes me feel so small and unworthy of anything. That annoys me. I also hate the fact that they have had so many children when, if they really wanted to have that number of children, they could have adopted so many other children who needed a home. That part makes me sad.

McCall May 7, 2009, 1:37 AM

I think that the Duggar Family is a fascinating, loving, supportive, faithful and dedicated family. Even if you don’t agree with their views on the Quiverfull movement, you must admit they love each other. As a 20 year old pastors son, I admire Joshua and Anna in their commitment to themselfs and their beliefs. It is a comfort to know that there are people who are dedicated to a whole person and not just use them for sex! I also find your Blog description of “these people are nuts” to be a contradiction in terms! Samantha, my dear, it is 2009 (the advent of digital television transition), and I have a gut feeling that you get more than just TLC on your television! If you don’t like it then relief is a remote click away! If you have not figured this out by now, well, “you must be nuts”!

Chris Rasster May 13, 2009, 5:27 PM

They are minding their own business.
You chose to watch.
Their religious beliefs are theirs.

They pay their bills, do not take govt programs or hand outs.

If that’s how they wanted to do it, it was their choice.

You ought to jump on to people taking food stamps, wic, on welfare, popping out tons of kids from several dads before jumping down the throats of people following their religious beliefs.

They didn’t want to kiss till marriage, what’s it to you? Did you lose sleep over it? Di you lose money over it? Did it cause you harm? Nope.

Leave em alone.

-Christian values and morals are being attacked and destroyed all in the name of tolerance.

kim May 13, 2009, 11:52 PM

i hate the way anna wears her hair the same fricken way every day!!!

Rebecca May 14, 2009, 2:25 PM

You’re nuts

Paula May 21, 2009, 11:21 PM

Amen! I didn’t mean that in a Duggar since of the word.What are these people scared of? Why can’t their children live their own lives? Josh has a job from dad, has his mother’s doctor, got a house from grandpa. I don’t know about you guys but I prefer to live my own life, not be a spitting imagine of my parents. Watching the Duggars is like watching a train wreck about to happen. My bet is on Jinger - I like her. What’s going to happen if Anna can only have a couple of kids - will God be punishing her for some reason?
Paula

Mike May 28, 2009, 10:51 AM

Liberals are so closed minded. What makes you sick is that someone thinks differently than you.

Great Blog Hitler.