The Inauguration, Through a Child's Eyes

Momlogic sent 12-year-old Kennedy and her mom Naila to DC to experience Barack Obama's inauguration. Here are Kennedy's thoughts.

Today I finally realized how important Barack Obama and this inauguration is to so many people.

While watching CNN on Monday, I saw how many people were lined up just to get at seat at the front so they could see Barack Obama walk down the stairs of the Lincoln Memorial just to talk for only a few minutes. As my friend and I were walking to take pictures of the Lincoln Memorial (my hands were so frozen I couldn't tie my shoes), we saw people wearing homemade tie-dyed Barack Obama t-shirts. I saw one lady on the street wearing an Obama dress and buttons all over her body ... she even had Obama earrings and an Obama hat!

I know this is very important and I'm so overwhelmed, I'm speechless.

My mom and everyone seems to cry anytime they talk about Barack Obama or the inauguration. My grandma went to an all-black school and couldn't even go over to white kids' houses to play. That seems weird to me, because my best friend is Korean and I go over her house all the time. I don't try to be friends with black kids first because they are black; I just pick the nicest kids whoever they are. I don't like when people are mean to anyone, and it makes me sad to think about people being mean to anyone just because we are black. My mother tells me that I'm brave because even when kids are mean to me, I don't follow along to be popular, I just will be by myself if I have to.

I hope Sasha and Malia find friends that like them because they are funny and do the same sports and stuff, not just because they get to live in such a great house and their dad is President.

In California, where I live, I think I am a really lucky kid. I go to a great private school, I have a lot of books and I can be whatever I want if I study a lot and work hard. No one would say I can't go to a school because I am black, they would say it because I am not a good enough student or maybe because I just wasn't nice. But other than that, I know I can do anything I want, which is why I want to be an attorney first, then a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader, then a judge. When I am a judge, I will make sure that even people who some think are guilty get a good trial because I have seen a lot of times where someone gets convicted because they are poor and maybe just because they weren't real smart. I think we have to be sure.

I am going to try and find some good kids now with a lot to say.

I hope this is fun to read for everyone. Thank you! Kennedy

Check out Naila and Kennedy's videos from the inauguration here.

see more photos see more photos
Barack Obama Obama Family's Matching Style

next: It Takes a Village
Samantha Farrell January 20, 2009, 10:20 AM

Kennedy!!!! What a FANTASTIC first blog! It was great! i’m so proud of you! wish i was there….
-your aunt

Brian Tweedie January 20, 2009, 11:35 AM

Nice job with the blog. It was great. Keep up the good work and have a great time.

Brian

Layla January 20, 2009, 11:40 AM

Fantastic job Kennedy! I’m so proud of you! Love you! - Layla

Crystal January 20, 2009, 12:57 PM

Thank you Kennedy for this great post! At Eco-Smart World, we were just as speechless as you as we watched everything unfold just minutes ago.

Thank you for your wise words. Good luck with school and your career aspirations. (And keep on writing!)

-from Crystal (the marketing girl at Eco-Smart World)

Nina January 20, 2009, 1:24 PM

Go Kennedy! You make so many so proud. And Dallas will be waiting for you!!!! You can get your law degree at SMU and of course, rule the Cowboys ;)..! You have such a beautiful heart and mind just like your mom and of course your grandmother.

Much blessings your way. -Nina and Brianna

Ben January 20, 2009, 1:26 PM

Go on with your bad self girl!!!
-Bingus

Danielle January 20, 2009, 8:07 PM

GREAT JOB KENNEDY! Is there any way I could convince you to be Raiderette? :-)

Winifred Cook Twitty January 20, 2009, 8:27 PM

Kennedy,
That was excellent. You did such a wonderful job, I am so proud of you!! Your cousin in VA,
Pooh

AC Farrell January 20, 2009, 10:13 PM

Pan dad liked this a lot, most excellent cub reporter and blogger. Love you, Ackie

Anonymous January 21, 2009, 1:26 AM

I know what a change, instead of a black person being excluded from presidency like things used to be, he was voted in mainly because he was black. Wow how totally unracist our country has become I am soooo impressed (Sarcasm)- seriously, if this country was not full of a bunch of racist idiots obsessed with social Issue that would have been considered resolved many years ago;everyone would have figured out that Obama’s political veiws are unreasonable. He is strongly pro choice and very liberal and yet my stupid fellow republicans are too blinded by the color of his skin and a giant slogan “Its Time For A Change”. Now, Obama cant help that the rest of america only voted and strongly publicized him because he was black- He cant change peoples minds about such things, but he also did not fight it either. He would have done more for our country to say “Dont vote for me because you want a Black president, vote for me because you Believe in me and my plans for this country”. No one is perfect. Still i hate the ignorance i receive when i say i dont support obama. I Dont really think these particular obama supporters realize how racist it sounds for someone to ask me if i dont like obama because he is black. What am I supposed to vote for him because he is black? WTF? Obama is a man not a mallot for a social barrior. If a black guy who worshipped Charles Manson were to arise we would still welcome him into the white house with that logic.

A C Farrell January 21, 2009, 8:50 AM

In the spirit of the blog, instead of a platform for a political statement of a certain sort, this was a child’s view of events in Washington.

While I know this to be a free country and all of that, and you of course with the right to say what you want where you want to, the need it seems to me you have to “go off with your political views” on a blog by a CHILD feels a bit, “over the top.”

There are many places where to do so would be much more appropriate. I feel your logic to be quite illogical, also.

Andreana  January 21, 2009, 12:44 PM

This was a wonderful blog Kennedy and I commend you for having dreams, and being unbiased. You are a very smart individual with a bright future ahead of you. Keep up the good work and mark this day as the beginning of forever!

anonymous January 22, 2009, 12:02 AM

Using children and calling yourselves mom-logic, come on, get real. Bush kept us safe and using children, doesn’t Hamas do the same in a different way.

AC Farrell January 22, 2009, 2:08 PM

I had to laugh when I read the comments about using children. Kennedy would have blogged this anyway. Kennedy blogs. Kennedy creates video interveiws, Kennedy creates her own documentaries, Kennedy does her own choreographing of her own lipsyncing songs written by her aunt which she then videos. Kennedy understands and appreciates the media of today. Whether or not Momlogic used her blog, it would have been written and shared by Kennedy anyway. Her school sent a group of ten students to DC with assignments to blog about the journey. Mass media affords, I feel the opportunity for young people to have what they enjoy doing themselves be shared by many others. That’s all. No child labor here, a work of love, and passion more so.

Mrs. Dessie Jeffries January 26, 2009, 2:37 PM

Kennedy I am so proud of you!! You are a part of history!!

www.momlogic.com April 15, 2011, 7:20 PM

The_inauguration_through_a_chi.. Dandy :)

www.momlogic.com April 22, 2011, 12:46 AM

The_inauguration_through_a_chi.. Nice :)

www.momlogic.com May 3, 2011, 2:48 PM

The_inauguration_through_a_chi.. Tiptop :)

www.momlogic.com June 2, 2011, 6:45 PM

The_inauguration_through_a_chi.. Dandy :)

www.momlogic.com June 2, 2011, 11:07 PM

The_inauguration_through_a_chi.. I like it :)