Veteran Homeschooler Speaks Out

Homeschool Mom gives the lowdown on homeschooling.

kid with chalkboard

"The Winter 2009 Education Next" publication says that more people than ever are homeschooling. Word has it they aren't just religious conservative nut jobs either. Other types of nut jobs are doing it too.

As a veteran of four years in the homeschool trenches, I thought I would just give those of you who are interested in pursuing this line of education the top five criteria for a homeschooling mom.

1. Ditch Design Trends: If you don't value a clean, well-appointed home and your decorating tastes include books, toys, papers, pencils and small people, you're a good candidate.

2. Not a Loner: You must hate to be alone for even five minutes and enjoy having a constant group of people around you vying for your attention and repeating your name incessantly.

3. Healthy Interest: Being curious and not squeamish is important, because even squished squirrels afford a learning opportunity with the proper gear.

4. Good Work Ethic: If you might enjoy a job that has 16-hour work days, no benefits, accolades or vacation, you have found nirvana.

5. Able to Multitask:
You must be willing and able to play puzzles, factor a polynomial, make dinner and read "The Wind in the Willow" with complete characterization while folding laundry.

Do you think you have what it takes to homeschool your kids?

next: Anthony's P.I. Defends Himself
Miranda January 13, 2009, 4:39 PM

As a homeschooler this is great!!!! And very true, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

causticmama January 13, 2009, 4:43 PM

Its “The Wind in the WillowS”. Plural.

Glad to know that you are homeschooling your children- your attention to detail is evident.

Anonymous January 13, 2009, 5:48 PM

Good thing your not homeschooling your kids causticmama as it is “it’s” with an apostrophe not “Its”.

Spookygirl January 13, 2009, 7:11 PM

Typo discussion above aside ;)

YEP, I do have what it takes to homeschool (certainly hope I do, since I do in fact homeschool, LOL) and while I agree with the above, I think that we can’t only list the negatives (as light hearted as they were presented). So here is my list of requirements.

1. Must LOVE to see the light of understanding in your kids eyes when you see them finally understand a concept.

2. Must enjoy giving out hugs, kisses, and possibly stickers to motivate your children (and yourself) to keep up the good work.

3. Requires a desire to see your children grow and develop into individuals before your very eyes, instead of them suddenly turning overnight into someone you don’t recognize.

I am sure there are more I could list, but I have to go, DD just finished her math, and needs me to go over her answers :)

Momie Tullottes January 13, 2009, 9:47 PM

Awesome writeup! I found truth in all of it. Number 5 is my favorite - so true. LOL I am such a huge multi-tasker.

Momie Tullottes January 13, 2009, 9:48 PM

Jenny January 13, 2009, 11:32 PM

I guess I can’t appreciate the article because I am not quite as far into homeschooling as the other ladies. I have been doing home preschool with my daughter since she was 2, she is almost four now. I was hoping this article wouldn’t just be something cute but something I could learn from as I need all the help and advice I can get.

Alexia  January 14, 2009, 9:39 AM

Jenny,

I’ve been homeschooling for a couple of years and I can tell you a couple things: 1. listen to your gut. Go with what feels right for your girl. 2. read plenty of homeschooling books. Some you may not agree with, again go with your gut. and 3. look around for a homeschool support group or group of homeschoolers on the web. You may not get to meet these homeschoolers (they may be very busy) but they will be there to listen to you and you will learn some things from them. Homeschooling is like mothering, about 1/2 the time noone teaches you how to do it, you just pick it up as you go. but, you will usually be able to find another homeschooler/ or mom who is more than willing to answer your questions and listen to you vent. oh, and 4. please stay up to date on your state’s homeschool laws and visit HSLDA.com (Home School Leagal Defense Agency) to remain on top of the laws. Hope this helps. Above all, have fun…that is what this adventure is really all about.