If you're a mom who needs a little new year motivation, we know EXACTLY how you're feeling.
When life shifted from vacation mode back to reality mode, we were bummed at how little we accomplished during our "time off." The daily workouts we intended to do, the little projects around the house we planned to tackle. How did two weeks go by and none of it was done?
Before you pull the covers over your head and give up, take this weekend to make a new start. We turned to power mom Janice Bryant Howroyd, founder and CEO of the Act•1 Group, and a work/life balance expert for a little advice on getting moms motivated. "It's important for moms to remember -- women who do big things in big ways still have to deal with small problems. We all have them."
Here are some tips from Janice that you can put into play this weekend:
• FORGIVE YOURSELF: It didn't happen, we need to accept it and move on.
• TAKE STOCK: Evaluate what needs to happen first. If you make a list and find that you're making everything number one, then alphabetize those things.
• DIG IN: Planning is not acting -- pick something and do it.
• GET HELP: Don't be afraid to engage other people. Women feel like they need to be SHEroes. Sometimes you need to let somebody else do it. It may not be done as well as you would do it, but it'll get done and you can cross it off your list.
• MOVE AHEAD: Women who are heads of large organizations seem to have it all together -- "seem" being the operative word. One thing they're able to do is forgive themselves for the past and plan for the future. It's an ongoing process for women -- we're always learning to forgive ourselves for things not done.
Janice adds, "Remember, when people look back on their lives and feel regret, it's mostly for the things that they didn't do for themselves. Each mom needs to remember that being in good spirits herself is vital to the family."
Does your weekend include pulling down all of those holiday decorations? When positive thoughts and motivation aren't enough to make it happen... Here are some tips for packing away the festive decor and it even includes having a party. We just love when organizing solutions involve having a party, don't you?