Who Is Jason Wu?

The young designer had no idea Michelle Obama would be wearing his dress: he was watching the inaugural coverage and eating pizza when he saw his dress on Michelle.

michelle obama jason wu

"I found out when the whole world found out," Wu told Us Weekly. "I said: 'It looks white. It looks like mine ...' I had a box of pizza and it nearly fell over. I was sitting there with my friends, and they were screaming."

Wu said he never met Michelle Obama but heard she "wanted something that sparkled" for the special occasion: "I just went for it," Wu told the magazine, adding that he hand-delivered the 20-yard dress to her assistants and "hoped for the best."

But who IS Jason Wu? Jason Wu began learning how to sew and draft patterns at just 9 years old upon moving from his birth country Taipei to Vancouver. At 14, he went to study sculpture in Tokyo and he later spent his last year of high school in Paris, where he decided to become a fashion designer. He then enrolled in the prestigious Parsons School of Design and soon became an intern for Narcisco Rodriguez (another Michelle Obama favorite).

His first collection debuted on New York runways in February 2006, where he became an instant hit. His collections are currently sold at fine retail stores such as Bergdof Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Neiman Marcus. He's become a favorite of many Hollywood celebs as well, including Kerry Washington, Gretchen Mol and Amber Valetta.

After last night, we have a feeling we will be hearing A LOT more about Wu. Whoo-hoo!

momlogic jason wu gallery

Jason Wu

next: New Casey Anthony Docs Confirm the Worst
B Williams January 21, 2009, 8:41 PM

Was this dress Michelle wore left over from the set of 10,000 BC?

Chris B January 21, 2009, 8:41 PM

are you kidding me..?
You have “no” logic
get a grip!

(Bye Bye Bush??)
why would you use a little child to do “this” and call yourself “mom??”

sheila January 21, 2009, 8:45 PM

m.obama looked like an overgrown banana. She has no style, no grace.Wonder why she would not wear the traditional patriotic USA colors of red, white or blue????

Sara January 22, 2009, 8:00 AM

Bama Mamma looked like she was wearing a chenille bedspread for the ball and living room draperies from her Chicago home for the inaugural. What a embarrassment to the country. Bama should RE-DISTRIBUTE some of his money for a new hair style, clothes, and dental work.

Sydney January 23, 2009, 10:23 AM

I thought Michelle looked absolutely beautiful for the inagural balls. She was classy and carried herself like the first lady of United States of America.

Julie January 23, 2009, 2:42 PM

Does it really matter what Michelle wore or who designed it…In the grand scheme of things, I am more concerned as to how well her husband will be able to run the country….

bad credit loans December 11, 2009, 5:20 PM

Good Afternoon!!! www.momlogic.com is one of the most excellent innovative websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. Keep it that way.