Hey Ladies, It's Not Your Fault You're Fat!

We've got scientific proof.

woman eating donuts

Hey ladies, have you ever wondered why you keep packing on the pounds while your husband merely mentions he's going to lose weight and does? Well, according to a recent study, it's not your fault because the female brain may be hardwired to EAT, EAT, EAT!!

According to Gene-Jack Wang and colleagues of Brookhaven National Laboratory, women are less able to suppress their hunger when faced with their favorite foods. This discovery may help explain why women have higher obesity rates than men.

According to to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 35.3% of American women compared to 33.3% of men are obese.

The researchers performed brain scans on 13 women and 10 men who had fasted overnight to see how their brains responded to the mere sight of their favorite foods.

In the study, participants were quizzed about their favorite foods, which ranged from pizza to cinnamon buns and burgers to chocolate cake, and then were asked to fast overnight.

The next day, they underwent brain scans while being presented with their favorite foods. In addition, they used a technique called cognitive inhibition, which they had been taught, to suppress thoughts of hunger and eating.

While both men and women said the inhibition technique decreased their hunger, the brain scans showed that men's brain activity actually decreased, while the part of women's brains that responds to food remained active.

"Even though the women said they were less hungry when trying to inhibit their response to the food, their brains were still firing away in the regions that control the drive to eat," Wang said.

So the next time we are forced to wear our "fat jeans," we'll remind ourselves that our genes are to blame.

next: Ted Kennedy Collapses at Inaugural Luncheon
MIranda January 20, 2009, 11:58 PM

This story is stupid, 1) They did not have the same number of men as women, and 2) They only studied a few, how can they judge everyone by 23 people.

Anonymous January 21, 2009, 1:26 AM

genes.blah,blah.Just because u crave it doesnt mean u have to eat it.its called self-control

Kara January 21, 2009, 7:57 AM

Oh this is wonderful news! So I’ll just keep scarfing down pizza and it won’t be my fault! I was wondering when us fat people were going to get a break like the alcoholics - not my fault I went all the way down to the bar and got drunk: it’s a disease! Woohoo! Soon there will be a legitimate reason why every destructive thing we do is no longer our fault and we can just sit around and be completely blameless. Woohoo!

M January 21, 2009, 9:37 AM

23 subjects, does not a study make! You are overweight because YOU allow yourself to be overweight. (This is not directed at the 3 people out there who have a unaccounted for chemical imbalance. However, you are not one of them!) If you want to start losing weight, then start listening to your body and eat only when you are truly hungry. And before you shovel that chocolate chip cookie(s) in your mouth, ask yourself, “Is it worth it?” Will that cookie REALLY make me feel better and for how long?
I know you are upset, feel defeated and unloved, but give yourself some love and put down the bag of Doritos.

Anonymous January 24, 2009, 3:42 AM

“It’s not my fault, I can’t stop eating”.
It is your fault, you CAN stop eating. Great case study btw, because you know everything that goes on by studying 23 people (sarcasm).

Ju March 2, 2009, 12:46 AM

This is pure BS and an excuse for women everywhere. I eat b/c I have no self-control when approaching certain foods. I use Hydroxycut to suppress the appetite and count calories. And most of all I use the “Push-Away” diet. If you lack self-control to push-away from the table when you KNOW you’re full or you’re stuffing yourself like a grade A oinker, well, I hope you have an awesome metabolism to stay skinny. I swear, the articles some people write.

alysan June 2, 2010, 9:11 AM

Obesity is certainly the fault of the obese person. And any thinking or logic or rationalization to the contrary simply perpetuates the epidemic.