C-Sections Scheduled for Inauguration Day

Some couples are bound and determined to have their children today, on a day that will go down in history.

Nurse tends to a new born

Today is special and meaningful in more ways than one for some moms, who chose to have their children on this historic day:

• "This morning, here at Hackensack University Medical Center, I met a couple who I think will remember this day for the rest of their lives -- not only because of its distinguished place in American history -- but because of its place in their hearts, as the birthday of their new baby girl," writes Dr. Manny Alvarez for FOX News. "After the delivery, I asked the proud parents why they scheduled the birth (a C-section) for this day and they told me that -- as African Americans -- they wanted to give their child a gift she would remember for the rest of her life -- a gift that would honor and empower her as a symbol of the hope and change that became reality when the first African American man became the new leader of the free world."

• Mom Jacqueline Smith writes, "While I would love to attend this historic inauguration, I am unable to because I will be giving birth to my daughter. I have a scheduled C-section planned for that day and I am tickled pink. What a wonderful day to be born. I will try my best to watch the inauguration from my hospital room and to tell my children what a special day it is for our country."

• Teri, mom of two with another on the way, is being induced today. "I'm scheduled to be induced on Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009!" she blogs proudly.

What do you think of scheduling induction or C-sections on special days like today?

next: Free Makeup! Free Makeup! Free Makeup!
Anonymous January 20, 2009, 4:48 PM

How incredibly and utterly stupid. The day of your child’s birth is special simply because it is the day of your child’s birth.

Amber January 20, 2009, 5:23 PM

So sad.

Jill January 20, 2009, 5:24 PM

Today is my daughter’s birthday- 6 years ago! I’m happy that this is on the same day; we’ll be able to look back on this day.

john January 20, 2009, 9:26 PM

Who pays for these scheduled C-Sections?? We all do. And you want socialized healthcare? No barriers to stupid decisions except waiting lines.

MIranda January 20, 2009, 11:39 PM

John not all C-Sections are elective, I have to have them not by choice. They are scheduled because they have to reserve the operating room. Why I agree that having one electively is costing us a lot of money, remember not all are that way.

Anonymous January 21, 2009, 11:35 AM

does everything in life have to be scheduled?

Anonymous January 21, 2009, 4:28 PM

Are these people stupid? and for heavens sake he is not African American, He is BI-RACIAL, I am the child of an interacial couple and even though I appear african american I do not acknowledge myself as thus, I say I am of bi-racial…it’s historically wrong if people only acknowledge half of his ethnicity, his mother is caucasian why is everyone forgetting that just to throw another incorrect piece into history. So in reality these parents are wrong and also incredibly stupid to do such things to a child who may grow up not caring anything about it having to hear Happy Bday and hey honey did we tell you what happened the day you were born? over and over again.

Anonymous January 22, 2009, 2:22 PM

I for one am surprised by all of the negative comments not only on this article but it seems like more then half the articles I have read. Why are Americans so negative and rude.

And if you are black you are black. There wasn’t a white water fountain, and bi-racial water fountain, and a black water fountain. It was white and colored so get over your personal issues about being classiflied as black when you are bi-racial. I’m sorry but I didn’t know that being classiflied as black was so horrible. If a mixed person does something good then he is bi-racial. If he does something bad then he is a black man. Why can’t we just be happy for others.

Good for those parents who wanted to have their baby on this special day. They just had a baby congrads to them. What’s all the negativity and hateful words for. It’s just horrible how people try so hard to make themselves feel like they are better then others.