Second Boy Claims to be Father in UK Baby Birth

13yearolddad270214.jpg

Cnn: A second teenager has reportedly claimed to be the father of a child born to a teenaged girl in a case which has caused an outcry in Britain.

According to reports earlier this week, Alfie Patten was only 12 when the baby was conceived with his girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, 15.

The Sun tabloid newspaper reported their daughter, Maisie Roxanne, was born on Monday.

It carried photos and interviews with the pair and their child on Friday and Saturday.

Alfie told the newspaper that he thought "it would be good to have a baby."

While Chantelle said they wanted to "prove to everyone" that they could give Maisie a "great future" and that they both planned to stay in school.

However, on Sunday, the Sun's sister paper, the News of the World, reported that Richard Goodsell, age 16, was claiming he was Maisie's father.

"I know I could be the father. Everyone thinks I am. My friends all tell me that baby has my eyes -- even my mum thinks so. Only a DNA test is going to sort this out properly. If I am the father, I have the right to know," he told the News of the World.

The situation has provoked a wide response, with Conservative party leader David Cameron telling the British Press Association that parenthood should not be something the teenagers should even have been contemplating.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said "all of us would want to avoid teenage pregnancies," PA reported.

Tony Kerridge, of the sexual health specialist Marie Stopes International, told PA that children needed better education.

The response from CNN readers ranged from outrage to questions about whether the situation was actually rare.

Allyson said exactly the same thing had happened in her hometown.

"Well, this is not news to my area. We had this same thing happen five years ago. Same aged boy and girl. They had a little girl. The dad graduated from high school the year before his daughter started kindergarten! He has full custody as the mom has moved out of town and had another child. I am glad the family has supported this child even though the 'parents' didn't make a good decision in having a child so young."

Martha said she found the situation "very sad."

"I did not become a mom until I was 24 and it was still a struggle. I think these children's parents should be held accountable. Where were they? These kids have no idea what their lives will be like, finish school! Only if they are very lucky with a good support system."

Becky was dismayed.

"This just shocks me and makes me sick... they are still kids! Only 13 and 15 years old! So where are their parents?"

next: Search Continues for Haleigh Cummings
Anonymous February 14, 2009, 12:35 PM

He is tooooooooooooooo young for kid and his girlfriend is too.

Caesar February 14, 2009, 12:37 PM

I don’t know why is such a big deal, when I was 13 I became a father of a little boy, that was in 1970, the mother was 13 also we where on 7th grade.

micika February 14, 2009, 12:37 PM

tooooooooooooooooo young.

micika February 14, 2009, 12:38 PM

They are too young…

tess February 14, 2009, 12:39 PM

It only shows how our society is becoming loose and very immoral!

micika February 14, 2009, 12:42 PM

It is big deal because they are just kids and they are not ready for that.

emme February 14, 2009, 12:42 PM

dude.
doing it at 12?!??!

with someone 14?

Someone February 14, 2009, 12:55 PM

That is good old fashioned entertainment….

simone February 14, 2009, 1:02 PM

they are kids who barely know how to change diapers

Pondhopper February 14, 2009, 1:13 PM

This would be wrong 50 years ago…..

azun  February 14, 2009, 1:32 PM

he even doesnt know how to carry the baby, im afraid he may drop the baby…the baby is holding a baby…
too much exposure to sex oriented show and movies may influenced these kids…

Torshall February 14, 2009, 1:42 PM

This situation is far less dire than the # of teen pregnancies in the U.S. These matters only occur in families/communities/cultures who hold little to no values within their household. Talk to the children/teens, educate them & give them no reason to avoid asking/using protection. Easily solved!

kimberly thomley February 14, 2009, 2:57 PM

ALOHA!
If you do’nt know the “”TRUE”” meaning of Aloha, then you should probably look it up!
My name is Aunty Kim.
I live in the shade of the most active Volcano in the World, in Puna, on the Big Island called Hawai’i!
You should probably look that up too.
You’ll learn alot!
Just GOOGLE:
‘Pacific Ring of Fire’,or
The Fire Goddess named Pele
I write this to the PRESS and all you journalists who have so much time on their hands.
Now listen !
This is very common amoung YOUR diverse cultures in YOUR world.
What’s the matter with you?
So what????
A child is born.
This child looks like all the other cute (You guys have a problem with is word cute, Yea?)babies out there in our DIVERS WORLD. Arn’t YOU part of this diverse world?
There are millions of cute babies and millions of births, and millions of Teen Parents
This is part of evolution!
You should know that of all people.
I feel sorry for you out there who are responsible for keeping the World informed.
I feel sorry for teachers who cannot reach the Student, and I feel sorry for Journalists who can’t reach the People.
This CHILD IS PART OF OUR FUTURE GENERATION.
THE FATHERS AND MOTHERS ARE TOO.
AGE DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM.
It’s irrelavent.
So I Warn You!
YOU people who don’t recognize this generation of very POWERFUL INDIGO CHILDREN;
YOU BETTER WATCH OUT!!!
THESE KIDS ARE GOING TO RUN OVER YOUR WORLD.
They know the “Truth”.
They see right through you.
You won’t be able to look them in the eyes unless ‘you’re “FOR-REAL.
So I ask you, FOR YOU”RE OWN SAKE, FOCUS!!!!!
PAY ATTENTION!!!!
OPEN the windows!!!!
Find some ‘fresh air!
And remember!
WATCH YOUR THOUGHTS; they may be determining your weather.
Aloha and Mahalo!
Love from Auntee Kim

dont worry bout it :) February 14, 2009, 3:00 PM

dude u got game slaming a 15 year old girl i give u probs.

jan  February 14, 2009, 4:21 PM

he is too young should be thinking about his book and not sex

sandy February 14, 2009, 6:05 PM

so sad who is taking care of the baby?
my daughter had a child at 13 yrs old.
not easy but we made it

Bea K. February 14, 2009, 6:42 PM

Caesar, Kimberly, Dude, Torshall, and Someone, Sadly your comments have shown just what is wrong with this world (and I’m not just talking about the U.K. and U.S. only)). Dude your comments are truly offense and even if you’re ‘only joking’ you need to have your head examined. Would you feel the same way if this happened to your sister, niece, or female cousin if you have any??? These are “children” not even ‘teens’ and the fact that some of you ‘think’ there’s nothing wrong with what’s going, goes to show where some of these “children” are getting their ‘mind sets’ from.
Torshall, if you believe that ‘this situation’ is “less dire” than the ones in the U.S., you’re living on another planet in a world made up in your own mind.
Caesar, Just because your situation worked out ‘many years ago’, doesn’t mean that’s going to happen for these two, with a ‘worsening economy’, extremely limited health care and so on.
Someone, Once again, If you think you’re being facetious it’s coming off worse than what you can imagine, and I don’t think you’ll find it so funny when old man trouble comes knocking at your door.
These “children” are in for a real ‘up-hill’ battle, and the comments posted by some of you ‘so-called’ grown-ups, really don’t make this situation any better.
Something tells me the “reality check” will come “sooner” than either one of them can imagine (even with the help of their parents). God help them and ALL involved because they will most surely need it.

Mom at 28 February 14, 2009, 7:53 PM

This is very unfortunate. Those children are in a uphill battle. That boy will walk around with his child and people will think she’s his sister, not his daughter! I started to have sex at 14, but if it wasn’t for sex ed in middle school, I would’ve probably gotten preganant or even worse, an STD. Yes, I probably should’ve abstained, but at least I had the information on how to protect myself from this type of situation when it came to it. I hope that this situation will bring to light of how important sex education is. What parents don’t understand is that kids have a natural curiousity towards sex and NOT talking about it openly with your children does not mean that they will not do it. Actually, children who have the “talk” with parents about sex (or learn about it in sex ed) are less likely to do it at an early age and when they do, they protect themselves more often than kids who never talk about it. Parents: REALITY CHECK! Kids are going to have sex whether you like it or not. So, talk to your kids and give them the information in a factual and correct manner. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

-samoanchick- February 14, 2009, 8:13 PM

Talofa! means hello in samoan. All i can say is, sooo unbelievable!!! But reality check, never expect the unexpected =/ To the proud new parents, CONGRATULATIONS and wishing you all the best of raising a child and your future endeavors, even though you’re missing out on all the fun of being a kid and a teen =]

sto-roolz February 14, 2009, 8:13 PM

Guys are always looking for an older chick. (=