Baby-Faced Boy Becomes a Father at 13

As if the craziness of the octuplets wasn't bad enough, now comes news that a 13-year-old boy has become a father. What is this world coming to?!?

Alfie Patten, Chantelle and baby

Baby-faced Alfie Patten may be 13 years old, but he looks like he's 8 -- and just a few days ago, he became a first-time father. His much larger 15-year-old girlfriend, Chantelle Steadman, just gave birth to their 7 lb. 3 oz. bouncing baby girl, Maisie Roxanne, reports the UK's Sun newspaper.

Alfie and Chantelle had a one-time sexual encounter when Alfie was 12. What was Alfie's reaction when he found out Chantelle was pregnant? "I thought it would be good to have a baby," said Alfie in a prepubescent voice that has yet to break.

Neither Alfie nor his "girlfriend" seem to have the remotest clue about how having a child at such a young age might affect the rest of their lives. And Alfie, who doesn't even get an allowance yet, admits that he doesn't even know how much diapers cost, but says, "I think it's a lot."

Alfie, who is just 4 feet tall, revealed how scared he was to tell his mother about his impending fatherhood. "When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble," he recalls. "We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn't know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it."

Alfie's father Dennis admits he doesn't think that his son really understands the enormity of his situation -- but says Alfie seems desperate to be a devoted and responsible father. Dennis says that Alfie wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle. "He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation," Dennis says. "But he has been at the hospital every day."

13 year old father

Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie -- just 12 at the time -- had a single night of unprotected sex. They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant. The young couple kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle's mother Penny, 38, became suspicious about Chantelle's weight gain and confronted her.

"We didn't think we would need help from our parents," says Chantelle. "You don't really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you."

But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt that revealed her swelling tum.

Chantelle admits she and Alfie -- who are both being supported by their parents -- will probably be accused of being grossly irresponsible. "We know we made a mistake, but I wouldn't change it now," she says. "We will be good loving parents.

"I have started a church course and I am going to work helping other young mums," Chantelle says. Even though they're only teens dating, Chantelle says, "I'll be a great mother and Alfie will be a great dad."

What do you think about this unbelievable story?

next: Game: Cupid Needs Your Help
Fiauna February 13, 2009, 2:33 PM

Is this story for real? The parents of these two children should have a say in the decision to keep this baby or give it up for adoption. Looking at that picture, though, it looks like this is a story from a tabloid. Hmmm… gotta wonder.

LaylaBeth February 13, 2009, 2:35 PM

That is heartbreaking. I worry that my own 14 y/o son will wind up the same way. And not for lack of talking to him about sex! Accidents happen.

How utterly sad.

Wow.

I hope they have a good support system.

Jessica February 13, 2009, 2:48 PM

I’m sick..when I was 13 I was having a blast being a kid…this is soo sad…

su February 13, 2009, 2:59 PM

He looks like my 10 year old son? OOOOOOOO. I would vomit if that was him.

jill February 13, 2009, 2:59 PM

In middle school I didn’t even know what a penis look like I was busy with school and watching cartoons. I can’t believe middle schoolers are having sex. What a waste of youth.

Jessica February 13, 2009, 3:07 PM

The parents should have tried harder to prevent this. But this is reality. Even 12 year olds are having sex now! This could be a perfect example for young teens who are curious about sex or having sex!

chuck February 13, 2009, 3:14 PM

This was not an accident. Sex is not an accident. Surely these two were not drinking or doing drugs. Even then it would not have been an accident, because they CHOSE to drink or do drugs. I have to wonder about their home life. The parents of these children have 14 children between them. There is probably not enough time in the day to care for them, provide for them and teach them all kinds of important things such as the importance of a small family especially when you don’t work like one of the parents with 9 children. That father has a lot to teach about making the same idiot mistakes he has made within his lifetime. Why is this 13 year old boy allowed to stay the night over at his girlfriends house? Not a good place for him to be now. Baby or not, sex is addictive. Like any drug, it feels good and most of us want to do it again and again. The parents of these new parents are completely to blame. Any parent with a house full of children living on public assistance should be put in jail and the children should be handed over to the state for adoption. We coddle these dummies with kid gloves. Here in the states we subsidize the country of Mexico by delivering babies all day long for free in every hospital in our country, then calling the babies American citizens because many will be receiving state funds for the rest of their childhood if not beyond.

Anonymous February 13, 2009, 3:14 PM

I don’t even understand what makes 12 yr olds think about sex! Whats up with these parents? Obviously, at such young an age.. parents need to be held accountable, what made these kids think sex was okay? AT 12!?? C’mon!
And yeah.. he does look about 8yrs old, 10 at MOST!

Bec Thomas February 13, 2009, 3:16 PM

I’m still having a hard time buying that little boy is even 13…. I would also wonder if they are going to do a patrenity test to be sure he is the father.

Anna February 13, 2009, 3:24 PM

Oh. My. God.

Anonymous February 13, 2009, 4:31 PM

this is ok he has a groth issue like i do i am small and dont liik like i am 24 yearsw old. he will get looks and stuff but he will ge ttoguth it kids are havivng babbies elaier and elaier

Geri February 13, 2009, 4:35 PM

Can you even father a baby if you haven’t hit puberty yet??!!

It's all lies February 13, 2009, 4:40 PM

How the heck does a “mature” girl find herself having sex with an “immature” “little” boy.
That girl must be desperate for sex/love/attention/whatever.
I mean the “little” boy is “immatue” by nature but the girl? I can’t see any excuse for her “mature” decision.
Well at least she had the kid,I’ll give her that much.And at least the “immature” “little” boy admited what he did.

why? February 13, 2009, 5:56 PM

Why is a 13 year old thinking of sex?

1) Its everywhere. Its in tv ads, in movies.

2) Sexual abuse. If someone is abused this way at a young age, then what’s the big deal to do it with others?

N February 13, 2009, 5:57 PM

fiauna- even if the parents wanted to they cannot make the decision to keep the baby themselves or give it up for adoption

k February 13, 2009, 6:03 PM

How has a 13/12 yr old kid, boy OR girl,
even know how sex works???

YIKES

Birth of the octuplets is just as
outrageous as this is.

YIKES & YIKES

Chelsea February 13, 2009, 6:06 PM

Oh my lord! This kid looks like he’s 7! That baby is going to need some serious counseling later on in life! The “parents” need the counseling NOW! And THEIR parents need to be hauled off to jail! I mean, really. Unprotected sex at “12” and 15. REALLY?! I just cant even imagine!! When he’s graduating high school, he’s going to have a child starting KINDERGARTEN!!!!! Insane… . INSANE!!!
I went back and watched the video again and looked at the pictures. No way could this CHILD have fathered this baby. These pictures look like a brother and sister.

KP February 13, 2009, 6:29 PM

This story doesn’t really come as a surprise if you look at the parents, the boys father has “fathered” 9 children himself and the girl has 5 other siblings and lives with her jobless father. It doesn’t really seem like they were really being parented themselves, plus if they were watching television and going to school then sex was everywhere and no one was around to have a talk with them.

Check out the story about their entire family life here.

Brittany February 13, 2009, 6:43 PM

This is just an outrage. I never ever thought about “sex” at that age and I’m 20 now. I understand that there’s a lot of things fluttering around T.V. and movies but is that really an excuse for kids that age to go and have sex, and make a baby that early. How is that girl at 15 looking at dating or even having sex with his 13 yr. bf? He does look like he’s 8 and its like.. how do you have bf’s or gf’s that early too. It’s just all weird too me. Having a bf or gf that girl in age, I mean its nothing but hugs and stupid little things like that, but uh,.. sex? That just makes me sick! I wonder how the kids backround is? If there’s any abuse? I mean what leads young children, young teen’s too this step in life? I couldn’t even mange to have a kid at 20!

Laura February 13, 2009, 6:44 PM

wow! what a sad society we live in …